Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Staying strong

Battling the MSG Myth » "Help! I Have a Question" » Staying strong « Previous Next »

lauragail4350
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2011 - 5:37 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone, while i dont post on here often, i do use it as a resource a few times every week for the last couple years and also have the book! dont know what i would have done without this site, it has literally give my life back! i am just having a hard time staying vigilant. i see other people post this as well, and skimming through i dont see a section devoted to this, is there one? id like to see one started if not. one we can all go to, and read, whenever we're feeling foolishly brave/adventurous....to remind each other how we arent in this alone, and maybe help each other figure out how to stay strong? ive decided to almost treat this like AA....i just cant even slip once, because that seems to just open up the flood gates for me. i do go to counseling once a month, and i do have a nutritionist. both talk with me and try to help me keep on track. but preplanning all my meals (when i was picky to begin with, before this discovery!) means sometimes i just get bored/annoyed and want to eat 'like everyone else'. reminding myself the time lost in pain isnt worth the 'cheating' doesnt always work. Benadryl does help calm the headaches (my msg symptom), but makes me sleepy for almost a full day after. when i stay on track, my life is MUCH better. but it feels like a constant struggle to pass up the snacks, etc that bombard my path each day! my friends and family (without meaning to) still make me feel ridiculous for bringing my own food places, etc...it gets tiresome somtimes....my therapist reminds me diabetics, those with celiac disease, etc have similar struggles...i feel like theirs are a little more accepted...food is just such a part of everyone's way of connecting it seems, and therefore i feel disconnected since i cant easily partake with the masses....
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2011 - 6:12 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Laura, you definitely are not alone in this. I would guess that 2/3 of your friends and family are already reacting to MSG and don't know it yet. If it helps any, I have had at least 6 family members who once thought I was a food fanatic, finally get so ill, they came to me for help after years of making me feel bad. Just think of the famous people who pay to have someone tell them to eat wonderful, healthy foods like we eat! We all have pity parties some days, but then think of something you love to eat, find a good recipe for it and make it for yourself...as long as it's not going to give your an MSG headache...never worth it!
lauragail4350
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2011 - 8:06 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thank you Deb :-) you are so right! i could spend a little time on the preparation end, or a LOT of time on the suffering end. easy decision when i think of it that way! :-)
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2011 - 8:29 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

:-)
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2011 - 12:58 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Laura,

Yes, I think we have all gone through levels of temptation with this diet. Its challenging to not eat like everyone else, indulge at a party, etc. Here is one thing I have done to help stay away from temptations.

Keep being creative in the kitchen. Expand my cooking skills and try new dishes. I used to get a lot of appetite fatigue years ago. I was SO bored with my food. I missed having a lot of variety. I decided that if I was going to be the only cook I tasted food from, then I better start working on become a good cook. I make a plan each month, I read cookbooks like novels, I try new recipes every week and I write down my favorites. By keeping our monthly menus full of new ideas, my appetite fatigue has gone away. It also really helps me to have a plan for all meals and snacks.

It sounds like you are doing a great job- hang in there!
evelyn
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2011 - 7:33 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What I get bored with is my "travelling food". Only 4 restaurants (Yay! They added a Chipotle!) in a tourist town where I can get them to cook what I can eat or where I can find something on the menu. At work, I carry a cooler on top of my computer bag, with bread, peanut butter, yogurt and fruit and drinks. It does come in handy and I have shared peanut butter sandwiches all around at a lunch or late meeting :-)

But at home I feel like the fresh foods I can have are so wonderful, compared to the garbage everyone else is eating. What a tremendous bounty God made for us and most fools mess it up with flavor enhanced, sub-quality processed junk.

The longer I eat good food, the less I crave anything I used to miss. It's like quitting smoking, it may take years to kick the habit and just one is bad for you - but in time, you will be so thankful and not understand how you could have ever partaken! :-)

When I feel deprived, I treat myself to something delicious, like a mango, banana, fruit smoothie or if I want salty, potatoe chips, hummus or taboule.

Funny story - kids came to work with me last week, while on spring break and after 2 days were complaining about the dinner restaurant choices (when Mom was done working) - and that is with breakfast and lunch of their choice! I laughed and said, imagine having such limited choices every other week, instead of once or twice a year! (After a week away, home feels anything but limited)

It did make me appreciate the strength we have to have to get used to avoiding glutamate. Not an easy feat. So give yourself some much deserved credit (and break out the blender!) :-)

The last time I intentionally disregarded what I ate was Mother's Day - so that is coming up on a year now! I won't do that to myself again. (I did get sick accidently a couple of times, each slip a learning experience.)

At some point, after taking it one day at a time for a while, I think I realized that this is not going to go away and so giving up the thought of ever eating "normal" again, actually has made it easier for me to avoid bad choices.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 7:15 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We all go through the natural mourning cycle...denial, rage, acceptance. You said it so well, Evelyn. I remember feeling very sorry for myself for a couple years..at certain times feeling angry at how hard it all seemed. Now it's a non-issue, and I'm the one feeling sorry for people I see each day. Yesterday I was at the grocery store and I felt like crying at the site of a little boy who seemed to be bursting out of his skin, he was so obese. And what was in his father's cart? I was going to run out and get a book to give them, when I remembered I'd given the last one away. You are so right..when acceptance kicks in, you take charge of your health and happiness..and then you really notice that you can help others get better...that feels real good!
lauragail4350
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 8:47 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've got other headache triggers too (nuts, seeds) so peanut butter, and yummy hummus (i dont like it without tahini) can't be my go-to foods. I've been lazy about making my own bread/dough. I've mostly gotten over the desire for bread/pizza etc, but it would widen my choices if i added it back. Right now the only sandwich type 'bread' I eat is a brown rice wrap I buy at the grocery store. (I forget the brand name right now) and my grocery store just stopped selling the larger size of the rice dream so i gotta make time to make rice milk too i think? I do make healthy things and freeze them in bulk (i love my vacuum sealer!). my staples are: wheatberries w/ pureed bananas (sounds and looks yucky but is filling and healthy!), lara bars (i can tolerate that amt of nuts once a day), smoothies (thank goodness for dannon plain yogurt!), oatmeal w/ rice milk, homemade black bean burgers.... thanks Emily, you are so right, i need to make it my goal to become a wonderful cook for myself :-) i did just create my own little soup-kale, noodles, broth and garlic. sooo yummy. but i was using store bought broth....i need to do that myself too! And Eveyln, what is safe to eat at Chipotle??? and yeah, i LOVE my magic bullet blender for sure and use it daily. thanks for the reminder, im going home and putting the cooler in my car TODAY. it is ridiculous i limit myself to room temp foods when im on the go....haha ideally id put a microwave in my car too :-) thanks ladies! my friend just asked me if i wanted to order in for dinner tonight, im gonna stand up for my health and say no :-) no more russian roulette for me!
evelyn
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 6:42 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can eat the carnitas and the grilled veggies - I (drove the manager crazy and) insisted on reading the ingredients on the carnitas myself, because he said it was all natural! Some might not be able to eat slow-cooked meat, but it has not bothered me. I get a bowl, extra rice, extra black beans (it does not cost extra and then I can get 2 or 3 meals out of one bowl). Grilled veggies and carnitas! It's the only thing I can order, but hey! it's better than nothin! :-) I think I've mentioned before, Greek and Indian are good - just ask - usually no msg, just watch out for soy sauce in some tibetan/noodle/indian-like dishes.
I'm surprised hummus bothers you - nuts are a migraine trigger for you? too bad. I've been haveing headaches for the past month and I do think it was the greek yogurt :-( I was making and eating it 2 and even 3 times some days! Not that, I still miss. I found only 1 brand of sliced bread I can eat (so far), but I do buy Naan (need to learn how to cook it - it's too expensive!) on sale. The quick break recipes I have found here are great! Nothing like fresh, hot bread! Yum!!
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 2:21 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Evelyn, my mum just bought me a bread machine for my 40th birthday. It is wonderful. I load the ingredients in, fresh yeast, organic flours, organic butter, sea salt, well water, sugar then press the buttons and a few hours later it pings and i have fresh bread. I cant tell you how good it is to be able to have safe fresh bread every day. Sadly i cant find safe dried yeast here in Ireland, it all has added flour improvers in...grrr, but i have found fresh yeast blocks. My bread machine says i cant use that, but after a little trial and error ive found you can use it with consistently good results. :-)
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 5:47 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

evelyn,

Be careful with Greek food. I stopped in a Greek restaurant today and they told me they use seasoned salt in their bechamel sauce and beef base in their dishes with ground beef.
Evelyn
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 7:16 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got a used bread machine, mainly wanted good bread for kiddies school lunches but alas I never did master decent wheat bread in a machine.

Thanks, Roy - it's good to ask. I skip the rice due to chicken base at one location. I mainly stick to the vegetarian dishes and I don't eat cheese - too processed and who knows what's in it!
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 10:00 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

roy, youre right the "beef base" sounds scaaary... and that could definitely mean bad seasoned salt too...
thought id mention tho, ive found several organic brands that offer assorted seasoned salt blends which are nothing but sea salt and real herbs & spices. Frontier is a good company- ive had no troubles with any of theirs, and around here its a popular spice brand at some of the better restaurants (the ones that cater to gourmet organic Foodies :-)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page