Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Dry Mouth Relief Ideas?

Battling the MSG Myth » "Help! I Have a Question" » Dry Mouth Relief Ideas? « Previous Next »

sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2011 - 4:33 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am looking for either safe OTC products or folk remedies. It gets really bad during the night.

This is getting out of control and I am working hard on the diet aspect trying to follow the GARD diet. I seem to be very glutamate sensitive.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 18, 2011 - 9:43 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sara,

The only thing that has ever worked for me to reverse a reaction is ibuprofen, a glutamate blocker. It's worth a try.
sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 18, 2011 - 10:47 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there a list of glutamate blockers somewhere? I did find a small list googling it.

I see gabapentin might be. I have it and am trying to get off it. Maybe I need to delay that until I get other things under control. I do have a lot of naprosyn in the house but not much ibuprofen. I am finding low doses of taurine might be making the mouth worse.

A month or so ago I saw the correlation of eating gluten and nights the mouth would be much worse - burning - drier. This was instrumental in my decision to do GARD and not just Deb's diet as I know dairy makes me ache more, corn I was trying to eliminate anyhow and I never did much soy anyhow.

I went to the dentist last week and the dry mouth is starting to cause problems and I need to do something about it.

Of course I found something I had 2 days ago really made things worse. I had some dehydrated grapefruit juice powder which I like to add to sparkling water and that was probably a big no-no.

I had already given up the barley and other grass powders back in Dec and hadn't had this for months either. I knew the grass powders were loaded with glutamtates but hadn't thought ahead to think the grapefruit would have been to.

Now I am wondering about any "dry" product and if it makes a difference of freeze dried vs dehydrated.
sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 18, 2011 - 12:12 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found some OTC glutamate blocker info at msgtrust site. Taurine, B6, magnesium I remembered. She had ibu and COQ10 listed also. I kind of remember reading this before but they hadn't sunk in.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2011 - 7:39 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sara are you eating dried products a lot? One of the main reactions to sulfites is dry mouth, too. You might try avoiding all supplements for awhile and see how you do. What beverages are you drinking?
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2011 - 9:13 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi sara...
im a BIG coffee drinker & i have to really watch it or i end up dehydrated from too much good stuff... and that makes for a dry mouth.
i have learned to watch the skin on the backs of my hands & fingers for signs of dehydration- they start looking really old & crinkly when ive gotten too dry inside. i have Raynauds also, so really poor cold/damp tolerance when dehydrated... ive learned over the years these are some good signs to watch for, as i often dont "feel thirsty" (might be an inherited trait- my younger son is the same way)

i get a very dry mouth from most teas also, but for a different reason- black/green teas (camelia sinensis) are very high in tannins which just parch the inside of my mouth. extremely high in fluoride too, which i believe also contributes.

just wanted to mention those as possible contributors, since Deb asked about beverages

also, have you been checked for Sjogren's Syndrome? my aunt has that and it makes all her mucosal membranes very dry- especially eyes, nose, throat & mouth. it has caused choking at its worst (no saliva to swallow food!) and she's had dental troubles becoz of it as well. i wondered, becoz you mentioned the grapefruit powder and i remembered citrus powders being prescribed to my aunt to stimulate saliva flow. there is an autoimmunity panel that should identify if this could be a cause of your dry mouth troubles
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2011 - 9:53 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oh, i just saw you said it gets really bad at night... and you mentioned previously that you suspected halogen toxicity (fluoride/chlorine/bromide) also right?

this page contains useful notes on fluoride detox including toxicity symptoms (altho it doesnt mention dry mouth, but that could be from bromide...see link below)
But here is the quote i remembered:
Note: Once mobilization has been started, it may continue, with largest amounts of fluorine in circulation in the evenings.
www.tldp.com/issue/202/Notes_Fluorine.htm

this page is a lengthy but good general dissertation on fluoride including health effects and a list of commonly prescribed fluoride-containing pharma (i noticed many are for pain and gi disorders including heartburn & gerd)
www.rense.com/general60/nationalflouridedatabase.htm

this page lists bromide toxicity symptoms, included is dry mouth/sore or cut mouth/decreased salivation (and much more!
http://breastcancerchoices.org/bromidedetoxsymptomsandstrategies.html

ive got lots more, but i dont want to overwhelm you :-)

i DO want to encourage you to really look into halogen toxicity as a possible source of much of what you are going through, as so much of what you describe resonates with my own experiences, and i am discovering that Fluoride/Bromide/Chlorine toxicity is definitely at work inside me!

and i want to say that since ive been doing detoxing treatments, i am definitely feeling better in some ways (skin, sleep, less fatigue, yeast/sibo/gi symptoms, better food tolerance again) tho admittedly worse in others (bone pain, dry eyes & short term memory mostly), and i can attest that the bad symptoms really do step up at nite (especially nerve/sensory overload). but im finding that the more purified water or nettles tea i can force myself to drink, the more tolerable it is... (altho it feels like im in the bathroom every hour some nites)

hope all that gives you some more to "chew on", heh.
sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2011 - 12:08 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I will start with Deb - might be later today to answer you bo'nana

dry products - occasional dry fruit and I avoid what is labeled with sulfites - I do have some freeze dry berries and things I will eat maybe once a week (I do have a log now starting on Jan 19 what I have eaten but not quantities) but I found this dry grapefruit juice powder and drank some the other day - I have put it back away for now - I had stopped the dry grasses last fall and I know they were causing more symptoms with the mouth in the short time I was using them - the powdered grapefruit - not sure what is in it besides grapefruit - I have some papers that came with it if I can find them

beverages - limited tea, decaf tea, decaf coffee, some mint tea (just peppermint leaves) usually - occasional other herb tea (Stash usually) - lots of carbonated distilled water (the distilled water is used for tea, coffee too) - grapefruit juice and pomegranate or other fruit juice mixed in with the carbonated distilled water - caffeine is a big problem and I have cut way way back but not all is gone yet and I do cut it off early in the day (even the decaf) - the decaf process can be part of the problem too I know but when I cut it all out for a few days there wasn't a decrease in symptoms

supplements - I have cut way way back on this too and have a log of what I have taken - I have found I can do fine liver wise right now without the dandelion and milk thistle which I was sure wasn't going to be the case - there are days I don't take any - yesterday I took some COQ10, small amount of Mg, small amount of B6 (the B6 was 1/10 of tablet maybe) all of these to try to quash the reaction

other - I still have some Rx meds I am taking - not sure I can get off them that fast - I was told at the dentist office to use ACT - I had tried it this summer and flared lots of palpitations at the time and told them that - so then the suggestion was Biotene and I think I am handling the gel at night right now in trying it 2 nights - will see as time goes on - I did take 2 ibu last night ( and 2 earlier in the day) before I went to bed and slept better than usual

I have tried to reflect in the last 24 hours about amounts of ibu and gabapentin I used to take - was the ibu quashing all these reactions a few years ago? I switched back to napro when that is what my husband wanted and I just can't remember when that was but probably 2 years or more ago. I had gotten to the stage where I wasn't even taking napro daily this past month.

I am trying to get off the gabapentin (it is a glutamate antagonist) and know every cut has been hard and many of them I go back and undo as the symptoms just to be too much.
sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2011 - 4:28 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I need to mention one of the meds I stopped was a diuretic. I had been taking hydrochlorothiazide for 10 plus years and got the okay in Dec to cut it in half officially (I took in 2 weeks of BP reading where I was taking half doses of both BP meds) and my primary care person went along with me on that. I just dropped the other half of the diuretic earlier this month on my own and have been watching the BP. I should also add when put on the meds I had untreated sleep apnea; that is being treated adequately again (finally) and I have also lost a lot of weight. I would like to drop the other BP med soon but won't rush into it.

3 1/2 years ago I got really sick. I assume I ran into something toxic. It was after that time the dryness started. I was tested for Sjogren's Syndrome a year and a half ago. It was this dental exam the dryness basically caught up with me and I am so terrified of any dental procedure anyhow, the idea of losing more teeth scares me. We aren't there yet as he put them on "watch" for now rather than drilling on them. I just am paranoid about this.

I don't have fluid problems during the day; I just don't think I swallow at night. I don't think my sinuses on the left side drain right at night either. They are full of mucus and that will drain during the day and when I get up in the morning but I have to force it during the night.

I need to look at those pages you posted bo'nana. I have a tab open to dry mouth on earthclinic right now and need to read it too. I need to get this under better control and then think about what else I need to do. I can't let this get worse.

I don't remember why I was thinking fluoride toxicity this spring but maybe if I research it more I will recall why. It might just be the mouth symptoms.

I am doing tons better than yesterday at this time right now.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page