Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Malted Barley Flour in Milk Bone dog ...

Battling the MSG Myth » "Help! I Have a Question" » Malted Barley Flour in Milk Bone dog treats « Previous Next »

guruofmsg
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, June 12, 2010 - 2:43 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My 15-year-old dog recently was put to sleep because of complications arising from a cancerous growth inside him. I'm wondering if something might have caused his cancer, i.e. the free glutamic acid (MSG) found in the malted barley flour of his Milk Bone treats which he was fed most of his life. The brand used for his meals, though, was Purina which contained animal by-products. Could any of those dog foods factor in his tragic demise or should his cancer be merely chalked up to "old age" and "genetics"?

From what I read somewhere, dogs are even more sensative to MSG than humans are, so I'm very tempted to sue the company that manufactured the treats or at least to publish an article exposing the truth about the MSG that's unlabeled in their treats.
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, June 12, 2010 - 4:03 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's possible that animal cancers are caused by foods or environment. I suspect there are probably more unhealthy additives in many pet foods than just MSG. My cats began reacting to their food when they reached 12 years of age...and I'm finding it really hard to find any cat food that they can tolerate. We just have to do the best we can to care for our pets - and I'm sure that's what you did. I think you should write the article, perhaps you can save some dogs lives.
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2010 - 10:04 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

guru, You have my sympathies. I have two cats and a dog and cannot imagine losing one. 15 years just doesn't seem long enough with one of our special pets, does it? I don't know if cancer is linked to the junk ingredients in pet foods but I know it can make them sick. One of my cats became very sick from commercial pet food. The only reason I figured it out (the vet had no clue) was because she had a lot of the same symptoms that we did and I was just starting to learn about the toxic crap in processed human food. Since then I have been doing a lot of reading about commercial pet products and read some pretty interesting things.

Most dogs do not tolerate wheat, corn or other grains very well at all, but the main ingredients in most dog foods are corn and wheat. Irish setters were almost wiped off the map because they are one of the few breeds that are aggressively gluten intolerant even though most don't digest it well. Allergies in pets have skyrocketed in the last few years because of the additives in pet food but most pet owners are told it is environmental (allergy to grass because it manifests and chewing on paws) or that there is nothing to be done but allergy shots. We took our animals off commercial pet food and now feed them raw chicken and scraps (raw meat is essential for cats and our dog just prefers it). We don't eat anything processed and now neither do they. All of my pets are the healthiest they have been in their lives and my dog lost some of the behavior issues we thought were just part of his personality (anxiety and neurotic behavior).

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page