Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Dental alginate PLEASE HELP

Battling the MSG Myth » "Help! I Have a Question" » Many thanks » Dental alginate PLEASE HELP « Previous Next »

Anonymous

Posted From: 207.210.60.201
Posted on Saturday, May 08, 2010 - 12:44 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am allergic to msg and careful with my diet, however I am in the mist of a bad reaction and baffled as to how it happened , I went to the dentist for a new upper denture on uesday , he used dental alginate to the inprint , I did not swallow any , but two days later I had wheezing and complete nasal blockage , chills , muscle aches etc, my typical reaction to msg and sulfite , could it have affected me two days later and despite the fact that I did not swallow any , the only other possible culprit was Selection low salt natural chips , I have no problem with Lay's but the Selection brand only had salt , potato and sunflower oil as ingridients , could they have hidden undisclosed msg / i AM DUE FOR ANOTHER SIMILAR SESSION AT THE DENTIST AND AFRAID TO REPEAT THE EXPERIENCE ? Does anyone have any information on this subject ?
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, May 08, 2010 - 3:12 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am allergic to corn and soy and I didn't have a reaction when my dentist took an impression for a crown. I'm not sure what product he used, but it didn't cause me any problems. Being allergic to corn and soy, I would react to any msg additives that might be present.

I would bet on the chips. unfortunately, the Lays brand has a problem with cross-contamination. Think of all the Lay's chips that you can't have and imagine the same machines running your chips after any of those. Also, sunflower oil is often contaminated with citric acid. They use citric acid to de-gum the machines when extracting the oil. Really only cold-pressed oils are sure to be safe.
Debbey
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 09, 2010 - 10:37 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

could it possibly be what was used to rinse clean your mouth?
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 11:22 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Before your next visit you can do a couple things. Once you have gotten over your reaction, you can eat just a couple of the same chips and see if you have a smaller reaction. If that's the culprit, you are home free. If not, call your dentist's office and report your reaction and see if they can use another product. My son-in-law is a dentist and he has different products available to use. I once reacted to cleaning powder his hygienist used, so we tried a different one. My prior dentist allowed me to bring baking soda for the cleaning...but she used so much, I gagged. She cut back the next time.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 4:34 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous,

Perhaps some of the products used in your mouth contained aspartame. Also, you may be sensitive to possible fluoride or other ingredients in the alginate.

A video about fluoride:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7319752042352089988#

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page