Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Does anyone know about (Defatted) Coc...

Battling the MSG Myth » "Help! I Have a Question" » Does anyone know about (Defatted) Coconut Flour? « Previous Next »

bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2010 - 10:14 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi all... bo'nana here again... with another new question

i couldnt find anything in the forum about Coconut Flour, and i am dying to know whether it might be safe?
we are still using up the less-questionable items in the cupboard (rather than chucking everything outright), one of which is a bag of Bob's Red Mill Coconut Flour. oh my! is it ever YUMMY stuff!!

...which is part of what has me a little worried...
seems like everything which tastes positively YUMMY is turning out to be poisons in disguise, even (especially?) lots of 'good-for -you-healthy' food

anyway, tonite i made up a batch of Vanilla Almond Coconut Cookies from the recipe on the back of the package.... they are sooooper tasty.... and i couldnt pin any reactions in any of us... (yet)...

does anyone out there know anything about this product? i feel like i might have heard somewhere that it is a 'byproduct of coconut milk processing'. which does raise some red flags for me.... remembering how much we loved all things Soy a few years back- especially Soymilk and Soy flour- and such poison they turned out to be, too!

i sure dont want to repeat that mistake- yeeks!!
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2010 - 1:21 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I haven't done any research, but coconut milk is extracted from coconut, so the first by-product would be the dry coconut. If it is dried and ground into flour, I doubt it would be problematic. If they add sulfites to the product to keep it very white, then avoid it. I buy coconut from our health food store. They offer the natural unsulfured version that we use safely.
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 03, 2010 - 1:20 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with Deb. As long as you buy unsulfured coconut products, there should be nothing wrong with it. Since we are allergic to corn and soy, we avoid Bob's Red Mill products because of cross contamination, but if you aren't allergic, they seem to be a good company.

I buy all my coconut products from tropicaltraditions.com because I have researched them and have found no corn or soy contamination from any of the products. This is the best coconut company around as far as I can tell. I buy the coconut cream concentrate to make candy and to add to smoothies. I buy the shredded coconut to make coconut milk and to bake with and I buy the organic virgin coconut oil to cook with and to make deodorant and use as moisturizer (the best thing I have ever put on my face!) and the coconut flour to cook with. One caution, though, coconut flour is very high in fiber so you don't want to eat too much of it at once. Otherwise, enjoy!
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 03, 2010 - 7:49 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks gize... i could really get excited about Coconut, and it seems like a lot of people sure have.

i guess i am just nervous becoz not so long ago, Soy was the big miracle food and the 'miracle' it gave me was chronic autoimmune illness. grrrrrrr!
looking back, i am certain soy is the thing which started me sliding, becoz for about 10 years before soy products hit the healthy scene, i had been mostly lacto-ovo-veg and feeling GREAT for the first time in my life. then i discovered that my older boy, then a toddler, reacted strongly to all things dairy... we started with soymilk, found it yummy, and, well... it all went downhill from there. eventually i ended up with muscle wasting, still didnt make the connection, and a naturopath put me on protein powder (yup- more soy).
soy is OUT now for all of us, for the past 3 years, and i tell everyone else to get off the stuff (it usually falls on deaf ears... o well, what can you do?)
it screwed up my thyroid for awhile too, but thats better now... and no more muscle wasting... but, chronic pain & fatigue still lingers.

anyway, what you say about coconut does sound good, i will try to research the process and proceed cautiously.
i might try some coconut oil for my skin too, i have had stubborn blistering blemishes on my face for the past year, nothing i try gets rid of them, some things helped for a while but they always comes back. right now i use nothing on my skin but cold press olive oil, which is better than nothing, at least im not dry and flaky (: ...but, so many people say coconut oil has actually cured their skin problems, i think i will break down and give it a try.
i will keep y'all posted on what i find out
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 03, 2010 - 9:28 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok kristy, i brought home a jar of coconut oil from a stop at Bobs today.
i LOVE Bobs Red Mill, we live down the road from their 'flagship' store in Milwaukie OR, and it has long been one of the few restaurants i can eat at and actually go home feeling good! ...but, i digress...

what i wanted to find out from you is how to use the coconut oil on my face? do i just apply it directly? should i melt it first? i was sort of surprised that it comes as a paste... what do you do? oh, and how should it be stored also?
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 12:48 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bo',

Coconut oil is a solid at temps below 76F. I just scooped some out and put it in a shallow glass jar with a lid to keep in the bathroom(you could reuse an old moisturizer jar but even a small plastic container with lid would do) and then apply it to my face directly. If it is solid, just rub a little up onto your fingers and it will start to melt right away.

I hate to hear about the damage soy did to your family. My pediatrician put both my kids on soy formula when they were babies and I believe it caused their dyslexia and poor muscle development. We never purposely ate soy after that but it is in so many things and they had so much of it at that crucial time in their development.

I never used coconut until I found out about our corn allergy and it was the only thing that I could find that was absolutely corn-free to cook with (cooking oils are often contaminated with corn). I had used olive oil for my lips and tried coconut oil because it tastes better. That was all it took. I started using coconut oil more and more. I know you will enjoy it. My favorite lip balm is made of coconut oil, palm oil and beeswax.

Kristy
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 9:36 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kristy I am glad that you addressed the sulphite isssue with coconut, I have some but have been reluctant to use it because of a sulphite problem. I am going to use it tonight to see how it works. Is the lip balm from tropical traditions also?. Mariann
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 9:52 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, the unscented lip balm and lotion, moisturizing cream and bar soaps from tropicaltraditions.com are completely safe. No additives whatsoever. I just love that company.
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 12:10 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks I will go to your site and access it through there. mariann
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2010 - 9:05 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well, i tried out the pure coconut oil for my face... but i am not sure of the results... it felt (and smelled) GREAT! going on, but seems like it may have increased the redness. and i had new, teensy, blisters here & there after a couple days, so i stopped applying it. of course, i usually get a new spot or two every couple days anyway, so i dont know...

the kind i bought is "Aunt Patty's Certified Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil" by GloryBee of Eugene, OR. the label doesnt mention sulphur or sulphites at all.

i am not really certain it was the coconut oil that increased my skin problems, it could have been coincidence. i'm still using it as a hand cream with no problems... oh, wait... i just realized that last nite i DID have to remove a silver ring ive been wearing for months, becoz the skin underneath seems to have developed some kind of plaque of shiny, red, chapped looking skin which is sore if i press or rub it.

what do you all think? has anyone heard of this with coconut before?
my facial blemishes started long before i switched to castille soap (away from conventional washes) so i am not seeing the connection there... but i guess i had better try the olive oil kind instead
or could it be something other than coconut completely? some contaminent... like sulphites or something... used in the manufacturing? the label is absolutely clean, altho by now i understand that doesnt have to mean a thing...
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2010 - 5:53 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hey gize... i think i have had an epiphany with the funny blister zits!
turned out, coconut oil did make my skin problems worse... darn it! darn it! darn it! (and i liked smelling so good too!)

but i have discovered something that IS working, and my skin is finally healing up, for the first time in over a year :-) hooray!!

...i came across some comments someone made on another thread, talking about Stevia, and how it has always been used in its home countries for all sorts of stuff, including skin inflammation and dental infections... which kept joggling around inside my head for a few days, until i finally decided to do a bit of research to find out why.

turns out- this is so great!- Stevia, being super sweet, is extremely attractive to bacteria that love sugar. so the creepy critters flock to the stevia you just applied & gobble it up... but since stevia has no actual carb or sugar values, the little buggers that consumed it all starve to death...voila, no more infection! How cool is that!!!

So i thought, what the heck i have tried soooo many other things (baking soda, milk of magnesia, hydrocortisone cream, yogurt, etc...) and none of it has worked- stevia should be harmless, why not?

i was using Witch Hazel allready for a few weeks, becoz at least the drying effect was soothing... except that after half a day, new little blisters would always pop up & start burning like crazy. i decided to continue the witch hazel cleanse, and then follow it by dabbing liquid stevia extract onto each new blister.

after the first application i noticed that new blisters were smaller and took longer to show. after 2 days, i realized my skin did not look so red... and after the third day it was no longer burning at all. this morning, i only had 2 teensy new blisters that barely tingled, and all the old ones are GONE :-) :-) wow! can you tell i am excited! :-) :-)

so i know this post is completely "off-topic" and i do apologize... but i just had to share! maybe there is someone else out there who is desperate for a non pharma solution to the same problem, and maybe this will help them too...
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 12:37 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thats fantastic bo. Unfortunately stevia isnt approved here in Europe so i cant buy it. Some trials on it suggested it could adversely effect male fertility i think??? I wonder would honey work the same way. I may try it on my rather spotty teenage son. Since his diet improved so has his skin. I know teenage acne is considered "just one of those things" but he suffers with it more than most and anything that may help has to be worth a shot. Thanks for sharing Bo,
Ali
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 12:56 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ali,

If he's shaving that may be causing inflammation and making his acne worse. A short beard (if school or college will let him grow one) may help.
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 6:42 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ali, you're kidding! how bunk! ... and how ironic, too... here in the States, i seem to remember one of the arguments to allow stevia for purchase was that Europe allready had, for years, with no ill effects whatsoever. and of course stevia has been used for many, many years in the orient, it is hugely popular in Japan... plus of course, its used everywhere in S.America.

that is also very interesting about the trials you mentioned... becoz i simply have not been able to ever locate one single negative thing when i have researched it here. (believe me, after all the trouble with soy, i try to check EVERYTHING new)
hmmm... i wonder what is the truth, then?

has the u.s. suppressed certain negative qualities, in order to introduce a huge new moneymaker (its very spendy here)...or could there be some political dissemination happening over there? do you know whether there is a corporate sweetener giant which carries a lot of lobbying clout with the EU, who might be adversely affected by the competition?

also... are you sure stevia is totally unavailable where you live? since it has been so popular for so long within asian and latino communities, could it maybe be found in the ethnic or specialty stores, as a "direct import"? or perhaps, as it was at first in the states, is it available as a "particular type of item not to be confused with food".... for the first several years here, stevia was allowed to be marketed as a 'dietary supplement only', it is only in the past few years that it has begun to be marketed as a 'sugar substitute', and any 'medicinal' uses have only just begun to be capitalized upon
...so i am wondering if you actually might be able to locate it, by playing the labels game?

your honey idea is a good one. fresh honey has been used for centuries by indigenous peoples around the world as a salve on wounds, becoz it effectively seals out air, and becoz it contains numerous active principals (enzymes etc) from the bees which are very hostile to invading bacteria, parasites, yeasts and molds...
unfortunately, honey did not help my particular spots. i still dont even know what they were caused by? (but i suspect perhaps mrsa, or other especially tough variety of bug)

that said, it is definitely worth trying for your son! i wouldnt think it could hurt him, at the very least would be a sweet experiment ...and, maybe will turn out to be just the thing his skin needs! my sympathy to your son- it feels so frustrating, and even embarrassing, to have unsightly patches constantly popping up all over- i hope you are able to find the thing that helps!
one thing to bear in mind, it must be pure RAW honey, just as it arrived from the bees & must not be heat treated in any way. heat deactivates the healing principals, so that it is just a sweet tasting goop. do you have any beekeepers you could visit?

please post your results as you find out more from your experiments! i cant wait to hear what you learn :-)
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 8:27 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/webpage/stevia

Thats the link to the fsa and the reasons why stevia is banned in Europe.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 10:15 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi bo, thats intersting what you ask about a corporate sweetener giant having a hand in keeping it out of Europe...nothing would surprise me in these corrupt times we live. Who would have thought just trying to eat "real" healthy food could prove such a minefield. When you consider that aspartame is approved with all the proven harm that does, well the mind boggles!!! Ive largely given up on packets of anything. Only yesterday in the supermarket i saw sausages labelled msg free....but they contained yeast extract and a few other questionable ingredients, so as much as i miss sausages, back on the shelf they went!! I just cant take that chance with my youngest.
Im not sure where i would find a local bee keeper. Ill ask around. We live in a very small town in Ireland and its very rural, so there should be somewhere local. Ill let you know if i have any success.
With regards to buying stevia from an asian shop,
im really not sure. Ill look into it. Id love to try it. Ive heard nothing but positive things on this site about it. And with regards to the effects on male fertility,im not concerned. Ive three children and thats enough for us:-)
Ill let you know how i go trying to track down the stevia and honey. Thanks for all the info. much appreciated.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 10:23 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just looked on line and i can get a full range of stevia products shipped. Yey. They offer quite an array of stevia products...liquids, powders, tablets etc...whats the best form to buy it in and is it likely tainted with anything?? What questions do i need to ask prior to buying? Thanks in advance for your help. Ali
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 10:26 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Daforto Stevia Natural Liquid contains 60 millilitres of pure stevia extract with a concentration of 60 percent rebaudioside A, purified water, vitamin C and potassium sorbate. It is supplied in a resealable plastic dropper bottle which makes it very easy to dose.

Thats the product info for stevia liquid. Good??
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 6:00 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi ali... i looked at that link... how interesting to read all that, when i have googled so many times for any cautionary hint over the years since stevia came out here in the states, and found nothing at all.

it is becoming truly impossible to know whose story to believe about anything foods related anymore, isnt it?

guess you just have to weigh everything out for yourself, pray, close your eyes (or hold your nose) and leap...

i agree with your assessment comparing the alleged risks (?) of stevia with the well proven dangers of aspartame- (and thats just one of the many artificial sweets!)
there are so many and all with their dangers & drawbacks... yet THEY keep being approved as 'Safe'... so i dont suppose i am too worried at this point about stevia either. at least it doesnt make me sick to my stomach the way sugar alcohols or maltodextrin do! and it is still working its wonders on my skin problem... today i had only one teenytiny new blister. i still have the residual redness, but maybe that will fade in time too... its just so nice to NOT be continually stinging and burning- i had forgotten how good that feels!

liquid extract is what i am using, it has been really easy to just place a drop or two onto a cotton tuft and apply it that way... the bottle i have right now is SweetLeaf Stevia Clear by Wisdom Naturals (www.sweetleaf.com)... and looking at the label, i am seeing something that i never noticed before- they too are adding "natural flavors" GRRR... i wonder if they always did?

thats the only ingredient listed besides stevia & water tho. no preservatives, which i try to avoid since i get a stomach ache from anything sorbate (makes my son twitchier too)...

i dont really know what sorbate is or whether it bothers as many people as glutamates or sulfates seem to... but since you are looking to try it externally, maybe that wouldnt matter anyway...
i think i would give it a go, unless anyone else has some other cautions to make...

Deb.A? or anyone? do any of you have some advice for ali on this one? also, if any of you could offer more info about Potassium Sorbate it might be really helpful...
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2010 - 7:04 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi bo, i searched on the site and found a few links regarding Potassium Sorbate. There is some suggestion it may iritate skin!! I think i will give that a miss. I looked at the link you send and it seems a cleaner product, but it isnt available in Europe. Ah well. When i get some spare time, Ill see if i can find a stevia product without the potassium sorate. Thanks for your help. Ill let you know if i track anything down.

Hi Roy, Im sorry i only just noticed your post. Cai is thirteen and as yet he doesnt shave. Ill bear that in mind when the day comes. Thanks
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2010 - 4:29 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ali,

I was given an electric shaver for my 13th birthday, not that I wanted one.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080403215217AAuW1EP
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2010 - 1:39 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ah, unwanted presents...lol....thanks for the link, i just had a quick read. Funnily enough my husband has terrible skin and has a beard for the same reason. Its been 18 years now and ive never seen him without one!!!
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2010 - 1:51 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am using the Now brand of Stevia extract...liquid. I will have to check the label again for ingredients. Sometimes one has to just try a product for a couple weeks or more to see if there is a change in one's health. I know it's like Russian roulette, but who can we trust better?
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 24, 2010 - 1:57 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thats true Deb. I feed Isla at the moment though and feel really bad when she gets a reaction from my milk. Im in the process of weaning her at the moment. She is 18 months and reluctant to wean!! Once she is though, i will be more adventurous and try things to see how i go, but to do it now means using Isla as a guinea pig too and it doesnt seem fair. She has such distressing reactions, with temper tantrums, insomnia and such. Thanks Deb for your answer. If you could let me know the ingredients list id be really grateful. Ali
Zoomer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 25, 2010 - 12:33 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why do you need the sweet taste at all?

Craving for sweet taste should be viewed as an addiction and a sign of lack of character and moral self-discipline. Stay away from everything sweet for a long time and your cravings will subside. International visitors to the US often find American supermarket products to be too sweet.

P.S. There are two brands of pure natural Virgin Coconut Oil that are safe for MSG-senstive people: Tropical Traditions and Garden of Life. They are expensive but health promoting and worth the price. Cheaper brands might work but they need to be tried first.
Kaye
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 9:17 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My daughter has been using olive oil to cleanse her face. She was getting a rash from commercial products hat she used, but it cleared up with the olive oil. She uses just a small amount and rinses well and her complexion does not look oily at all.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 9:53 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HI Kaye, ill try that on Cai. Hes thirteen and hit the spotty phase...bless him. Anything commercial just seems to add to the problem. We had some success with a tee tree oil facial wash but he hates the smell. Thanks for the tip. Ali
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 7:55 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ali, you could try coconut oil in place of the olive oil. Coconut oil is naturally antifungal and antibacterial which makes it uniquely qualified for facial cleansing and treating acne.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 9:08 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ah, i didnt know that kirsty. I used tee trea because it has those same qualities. Ill try the coconut oil as he was none too impressed with the feel of olive oil on his skin.
Anonymous

Posted From: 195.222.66.61
Posted on Monday, September 09, 2013 - 5:55 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Coconut flour is much healthier than regular one. I often cook gluten-free recipes with it, for example this coconut flour cake recipe http://coconutwaterbenefits.co/useful-recipes/do-you-know-how-to-make-coconut-flour-cake/

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page