Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

The Master Cleanse/Lemonade Diet

Battling the MSG Myth » "Help! I Have a Question" » The Master Cleanse/Lemonade Diet « Previous Next »

Tracey
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 09, 2010 - 10:12 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone. I'm so thankful I found this forum. Thank you all so much for all the great advice and information. I ate only fruits, veggies and grilled chicken yesterday and I feel slightly better today. I am still very swollen (my face and body) though, so it is hard to tell if I had any reactions. Kristy, how long did it take you to see any improvements in your symptoms? It is really hard to tell if there is something more than just food allergies going on (like an underlying disease of some sort) or if it really is "leaky gut syndrome." It's really bizarre that I'm suddenly allergic to more than 17 foods. I've been suffering daily with this for over 3 months. I've been thinking about doing the Master Cleanse/Lemonade Diet by Stanley Burroughs. I'm thinking that it will help and be very beneficial to me, but I'm not sure. I don't want it to cause more harm with whatever is going on in my body right now. I mentioned it to my Naturopath and she recommended not doing it because of that reason. But, I'm not sure if I believe it. I will do anything to feel better for just one day and for all my symptoms to go away. Then, I can start from scratch and see what my body is truly reacting to.
Does anyone have any advice or suggestions about this? Thank you!
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 09, 2010 - 2:35 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The best thing you can do for yourself is to continue eating real food and let your body heal itself. There are no quick cures. I can tell you from my own experience that you will feel better a little each day and sometimes when you get zapped with something that you shouldn't have you will go back a little. Stay with the tried and true take your time, be patient and it will come. Mariann
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 09, 2010 - 3:34 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tracey, None of us are medical doctors (not that we don't know more about some things), but to prescribe a program or a diet would be negligent when we don't really know what is causing your symptoms. All we can do is tell you how to eat healthily and hope that that will help you on the road to recovery. I'm sure you've seen the "test diet" on the home page, it is a great way to begin to avoid FGA. Everyone is slightly different and what may provoke symptoms in me may not in someone else and vice-versa. For instance I react to caffeine and many others tolerate it well. My point being, all we can tell you is what we do or don't do and you will have to figure out what works for you. There is so much good information on the board, especially if you do searches and read lots of posts. These people here are really smart, but unfortunately, we can't diagnose your condition. I believe you will eventually find the cause because you are proactive, open-minded and desperately want to find the answers. I sincerely wish you well.
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 6:36 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tracey, If you want to do something radical like the master cleanse, you will need to be super cautious. How do you know that one of the ingredients is not a problem for you? If it turns out to be a problem for you, you will be making your condition worse. I wouldn't do it on a dare, but I believe real food is what will heal our bodies. My children had the swelling go down in their wrist/hands and ankles,feet after three days (we didn't even know they had swelling!), but my swelling just diminished little by little over the course of a month. I lost almost 40 lbs. of retained fluid and swelling in the first two months. It might have gone a little faster if I had known of all the hidden sources of corn at the time, but who can know?

Mariann is right, there is no quick fix. Your edema is caused by an inflammatory reaction of your body to something....it could be allergens, disease, or some other toxin. No one can know what is causing it but the fact that you tested 'sensitive' to so many foods and haven't found any other medical cause seems to point to leaky gut. I don't think leaky gut is a "disease" but instead a name for a collection of symptoms like fibromyalgia. The cause is still a mystery but it is much easier to find out what is really going on in our bodies if we clear up all the 'static' by eating pure, healthy foods and avoiding as many toxins as possible.

When you start reading the ingredients carefully on any product that comes in contact with your body, you will see that the human body is very resilient. A healthy body fights off all the toxins that we encounter in our everyday lives, every day. Maybe we each have a limit hardwired in our DNA and once we reach our limit, our body starts having trouble keeping up...who knows? Maybe there is an underlying condition that causes us to become unable to catch up like Lyme disease or some common retrovirus, but maybe there doesn't need to be anything wrong. Maybe we just have "progressed" into a really toxic society, too toxic.

As I learned, we removed more and more unnecessary chemicals from our daily routines. I don't know if any of this is really necessary, but once I found out what all those products were made from, I just couldn't continue to use them. I feel like all the things we are doing are right because we are healthier and we feel better. That is really all you have to go on. Listen to your body and adjust the program to fit. It can be very slow going and there will be setbacks, but there will be progress.

The one thing that you can be sure of is that feeding our bodies the best quality, purest food possible is a smart course of action no matter what might be wrong with us.
Tracey
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 8:39 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you. You are all right. I have been eating lots of veggies, fruits and chicken for the past two days. I'm definately craving a lot of foods and I think I'm having detox symptoms. I'm feeling really tired and have had a lot of headaches in the past few days. I'm going to think positive and stick to this and hope that I slowly get better. My face is still huge and bloated, as well as the rest of my body. I just received the book "Gut and Psychology Syndrome" that Kristy recommended and I'm excited to read it. I'm definately really hungry on this diet. Is there a limit on how much fruits and veggies I eat per day? Also, is it safe to eat mushrooms (I know they are high in glutamate)? How should you cook them, without reacting to them? Thank you so much for all your good advice!
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 4:12 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For now I'd stay away from high glutamate foods like mushrooms, you know what cooking does so if you must eat cooked mushrooms don't cook them long. You can always add them back in your diet later. Fruits and veggies are GREAT, eat away! Just remember some folks react to some brands, i.e. Dole bananas. Yes, you probably will be hungry for a while but that will pass, and don't be afraid to snack. I'm expecting your energy will return and your headaches will wane too in time. Your body is just probably adjusting. Hang in there.
Tracey
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 11:09 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you. I hope so too. I'm only eating veggies, fruits and mostly chicken right now. I'm trying to stick with only real food and foods that are easy to digest. I think I ate way too many beans in the past few days, because I'm really bloated now. Probably too much fiber for my body to digest. Kristy, do you have any suggestions or ideas on anything else I could eat other than fruits, veggies and meats right now? Or should I just stick with that for awhile? I'm craving something crunchy. Oh well. I can do it!! : ) Thanks for all the support and advice everyone!
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 2:52 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you eat homemade potato chips. Brush organic potato slices with a little oil (like EVOO or safflower), spread on a baking sheet and bake at 375 - 400 degrees until done......add a little salt and crunch away.
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 3:21 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know that this is wacky and not so very healthy, but I posted here a little while ago that my grandson suggested one of those little 1/2 inch square cubes of sugar as a candy treat, since they are pure sugar. I have to say it comes in handy sometimes, and it is a little crunchy. Just don't go nuts. Tracey can you have organic peanut butter, I use Woodstock Farms organic with sea salt. I put it on Wassa plain rye crackers or Kavli plain rye crackers. They help me survive, seriously. Mariann
Tracey
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 4:24 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi. Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, I can't eat potatoes right now or sugar or peanut butter (I'm allergic to peanuts). I'm trying to eat foods that are easily digested and sticking to the GAPS diet that Kristy mentioned. But, I'm really craving everything! It's soo hard!
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, February 12, 2010 - 3:31 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We've all been there, but I guess when we put it in perspective and compare what someone else's hardships are (in 3rd world countries), it's not so bad. I know I get caught up feeling sorry for myself about different things but then something will "wake me up" and I realize I have a lot of food choices compared to many.
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, February 12, 2010 - 6:45 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Tracey, you sound like you are doing very well. I know it is hard with the food cravings in the beginning, it is unbelievable how strong a hold food can have on us. Hang in there and we will think of something crunchy for you - that is my weakness much more than sweets. I have an idea for you: roasted turnips. I know it sounds weird, but trust me.

Roasted turnips (the roots) are more like oven baked fries. Peel the turnip roots and then slice them into large french fry shapes with a uniform thickness. Put the oven on 400 degrees and place a two or three tablespoons of butter on a sheet pan. Place your turnips on the pan in a single layer and season with sea salt and black pepper. (the butter will melt and they will "fry" in the butter in the oven) Put them in the middle of the oven for 15-20 minutes. Take them out and flip them over. Cook for another 15-20 minutes until golden brown. You can make these as crispy as you like. You can also try other veggies this way or stir fry broccoli and cauliflower until you have crispy brown parts. Onions are good fried, too.

Stay away from the mushrooms (they are grown in a corny medium - I miss them so) and try to get off the fruit. The fruit is most likely corny and any fruit you eat will make you have more sugar cravings and be hungry all the time and may even be causing your headaches. Add the fruit back in later slowly. Eat all the meat, broth and veggies that you want all day long. You will have a voracious appetite in the beginning, but it will level out soon enough. Believe me, it seems like I ate every hour at first but it soon calmed down.

Have you tried making fermented veggies? They taste like pickles but are a great source of probiotics which will help with digestion. They really help with satiation and cravings. It is really easy to make them, here is the link (I can't remember if I already gave it to you): http://www.livingitupcornfree.com/2009/11/fermented-vegetables-are-easy-and-fun.html

What about eating lots of fat, are you doing that? It really helps to satiate you. I make a coconut cream drop candy for us to help get enough fat and it is like eating candy. My son adores it and calls it "fat candy". Here is the recipe:
I add one stick of pasture fed butter and the same amount of coconut cream concentrate (buy it from tropicaltraditions.com or coconut spread from wildernessfamilynaturals.com) and one heaping teaspoon of raw organic honey and a half teaspoon of ground vanilla beans. Puree it until well blended and then scoop it out in small drops onto a cookie sheet covered with foil or wax paper. Freeze it (only takes about 30 min.) then peel them off the paper and put in an airtight dish in the fridge. Eat a few of these every day and it will help with cravings. I know it is very little honey to fat ratio but you actually don't need much sweetener. I intend to taper the honey down each time I make them until they have no added honey. The coconut cream concentrate has a naturally sweet flavor that is enough when you aren't eating cakes and candy all the time.

I know you said you still have swelling but are you feeling a difference yet?
Tracey
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, February 12, 2010 - 9:16 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kristy. Thank you for all your suggestions. My only problem is that I am allergic to all milk products and I can't have butter. Maybe olive oil would work. I'm concerned about eating a lot of fats, because I gained 15 lbs in the past 2 months because of my edema and food allergies. I want to lose weight and try to get back to my normal weight. Yes, I still have swelling. It is weird, because at times I feel that it is improving and then I wake up the next day and my face looks puffier. So frustrating. I'm actually feeling very weak this week. I have no energy and can't get out of bed in the morning still. I even sleep through my alarms (this is what I did while I was having my worst reactions). It's like my whole body gets limp, tired and weak.
How do you make the broths again? I made a veggie soup that is actually really good. Thanks again! I'm trying to hang in there.
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, February 12, 2010 - 12:03 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tracey, I remember going on a high protein diet once and couldn't hardly move I was so tired. I didn't realize how much my body needed complex carbs for fuel and energy. I'm still like that, for me it takes a lot of energy to turn protein into energy so I need to eat fruit.

It sounds like your swelling occurs at night, could you be reacting to something other than food? My allergy symptoms are almost always worse in the morning too, but they aren't food related.
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 6:56 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tracey, Di may be onto something there. What is your pillow made of? I remember my first allergic reaction in my life was to a pillow from the hospital.

Also, you need to add fat to your diet because it is burned for quick energy. Protein does take a lot of energy to digest so you must have fat with it. Edema is not the same thing as fat. Once you get a handle on what is causing the swelling, you will lose that inflammation naturally. You have got to get that connection between eating fat and getting fat out of your head - it is a health fraud put out there by the corn industry (they were trying to sell an alternative to animal fats). Try adding fat to your diet and see how you feel, I guarantee you will have more energy. Use virgin coconut oil instead of butter or get 365 brand bacon to cook your veggies in (do you have a whole foods nearby?).

Try to concentrate on getting your health back and then you can concentrate on getting back to your normal weight. You do realize that your body weight will regulate as soon as your body starts functioning right again, don't you? Trying to lose weight in the middle of a health crisis (and that is what this is) doesn't make a lot of sense. Make sure you are giving your body what it needs to get better and everything else will fall into place.

Here is a link to the page with broth info: http://www.msgmyth.com/discus/messages/4/2123.html#POST27203
Tracey
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 12:24 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kristy. You are absolutely right. I'm not sure what my pillow is made of. I will have to find out. My swelling/edema is constant throughout the day, but I always see it worse in the morning. I think when your body is laying down, it always makes everything worse. Yea, I have a whole foods and Trader Joe's nearby. I have been using virgin olive oil. I may be reacting to it though. My face got more swollen after I had asparagus with olive oil. ?? I will also try the virgin coconut oil as well. Thanks again!
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 12:56 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tracey try organic EVOO, that is what I needed to do. That is a great idea about the pillow and other cause of inflammation. What about your laundry detergent. I believe that I started using All Clear when I read it here and I still use it. Also get rid of the fabric softener if you use it. Please tell me you aren't using room deodorizers or fabreeze in any form. They are brutal. I switched to Ivory liquid to do my dishes now. Don't use any window cleaners until you clear up and be wary of any cleaning products. I use a little vinegar in water in a spray bottle to clean everything. It does a great job. I do crave french fries when I do that I must say, but it goes away. Some of you may not realize it, but we in the North East put vinegar on french fries instead of catsup. No guys really it is pretty good. Is latex a problem for you? You are doing great keep up the good work. Mariann
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 2:43 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tracey, I am assuming you have ruled out fresh paint, new flooring/carpeting, new window coverings, new insulation, new furnace or filter, new detergent, or basically anything new in your house as a cause. It is, indeed, often difficult to pinpoint a cause of a reaction. It took me years to make the MSG/FGA connection because I was ingesting a continual low dose. But if your face got worse after asparagus and olive oil and nothing else could have caused it, then it would point to a food source (which would eliminate a lot of other things). Was your reaction immediate or hours later?
Tracey
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 3:43 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi. Wow. I'm a little overwhelmed now. What is in the cleaning supplies, moisturizers, lotion, makeups, etc. that is so horrible? I'm having such a hard time with changing my whole diet, that I haven't even gotten to that route yet. Looks like I have to get rid of everything. I know some of you have recommended some products to use, but if you could tell me the exact names and where you got them that would be great too. It would make my shopping trip easier if I know what to look for and where to go. What is organic EVOO? Yea, I don't know if you already heard that I have more than 17 sensitivities to foods. I had the food panel blood test done. So, I am positive to gluten, wheat, barley, rye, soybean, eggs, all dairy, peanuts, almonds, navy beans, apples, peaches, oranges, garlic and MSG.
I'm thinking that I'm sensitive to more foods than that, ones that weren't even on the test. I don't think asparagus was on there. Or maybe it is the olive oil? Could that be? I haven't had anything new in my house the whole time I lived here. But, I do use febreeze all the time! This is so frustrating. Thank you all for listening and being here! : )
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 3:18 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You should stop using febreeze but being that you have used it a lot, it may be tough to get rid of the residue. Wash what you can, air out what you can, and stay away from what you can that has febreeze on it.

There are chemicals, different ones in different products that folks react to. At this point not knowing if you react to one or another, it would be best to avoid all the chemicals that you can. Begin with just rinsing with plain water the things that you can - it won't pick up all the chemicals right away, but it will be a start. Perhaps someone else has suggestions about what they use.

EVOO is extra virgin olive oil and yes, perhaps you are sensitive to olives too, but there are other oils you could try if you need to. It can be really hard to determine what we are sensitive to, I've had to repeatedly try some foods (up to 10 times) to know for sure if it was that one or not. Was your reaction to the asparagus/olive oil immediate?
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 4:12 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mariann, Make sure you aren't using plain distilled vinegar. If you do, you are using GMO corn to clean anyway. I use soap nuts and I absolutely love them. They smell a little like vinegar, too. That is funny what you said about vinegar and french fries because my son (who eschewed condiments of all kinds his entire 17 years) has just fallen in love with homemade ketchup. He was only interested because he got a whiff of Bragg's organic apple cider vinegar. He wants to drink it, he loves it so much!

Tracey, try to relax. I did throw out all my moisturizers, lotions, makeup, etc. because they are all full of chemicals created from GMO corn and soy. Most manufacturers say that they don't cause allergic reactions because there is no corn or soy protein left after processing but I know tons of people that still react to the derivatives. It was easier for me to get rid of all this stuff because I was so sick that I didn't wear makeup at the time anyway. I use pure virgin coconut oil for moisturizer. I know there is safe makeup but I don't know what it is. I use pure coconut oil soap to wash face, hair and body and brush teeth (some people use baking soda). I buy my lotion, lip balm, soap and coconut oil from tropicaltraditions.com I don't have any stores with acceptable products around here so I had to buy online - I don't know about products in stores.

You can try looking on this list: http://corn-freefoods.blogspot.com/2007/12/corn-free-foods-products-list-dec-2007.html Some of these products are not corn-free anymore but it is a good starting point.

Organic EVOO means organic extra virgin olive oil. Stay away from febreeze and try to avoid as many things as possible that aren't in their natural form. Remember this: soap is made by adding lye to a fat of some sort. The only absolutely necessary ingredients in soap is a natural fat source like coconut oil, olive oil, lard, etc. - the lye is used up in the saponification process. Any other ingredients are unnecessary and probably a problem for you. Avoid anything that is scented - that includes soaps and fabric softeners.
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 10:08 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tracey to start off with. Pack your cleaning supplies in a box or old laundry basket and put them aside for now. Throw them out later when you figure out what to do. Throwing seemed wasteful to me until I really realized what was making me sick. Then I threw stuff out with a smile. I am using Braggs vinegar to clean. Just a spray bottle, a few Tablespoons of vinegar fill with water and clean away. The vinegar smell goes away quickly, I use baking soda in my sinks to clean. Works great. Just need to use a little elbow grease and those new micro fiber clothes that can go in the washer. I use All, Free and Clear detergent, white container, I get it at a wholesale place B.J.'s a store like Costco for some of you. Any market should have it. I use Ivory liquid dish det. for hand washing dishes and I must say I do use a tablet for the dishwasher, I feel OK with that because it gets rinsed so thoroughly and the stuff in there is not porous. Deb A gets plain lavender soap and olive oil I think at Whole Foods. I use Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, because I feel safer and did have reactions to those that are not organic. I use organic Safflower Oil too, Spectrum. Kosher Salt, Kristy uses Celtic Sea Salt, but I just use Diamond Crystal Kosher and do fine. Now for the fabreeze. Try to wash what you can little by little, no wonder you are feeling so bad. My husband just had sinus surgery for a problem that he has had for a long time, with much use of antibiotics. Since the surgery he is doing just great right now. He had his worst reactions when he got in a truck that had been sprayed with fabreeze. Granted he had a problem already. His Doctor said for most that would be irrtating, but for him it was catastrauphic because of his sensitive compromised Sinuses. I sprayed it in our home on rugs to smell clean, on furniture. I so regret that. Since then we have removed the rugs and he and I put in hard woods. I clean them with vinegar and water. I emptied a cannister from my Wet Jet, cleaned it with vinegar and water, drilled a hole in the top, put a cork in it after filling it with vinegar and water and I spray and clean my hardwoods. So stop using it and you can little by little back track like i did. Air the house out if the weather permits. Even if it doesn't open up the windows for a short while. I bet you will see improvement just by stopping the spraying. If you use contact lenses, get just the plain solution it is called Clear Care by Ciba Vision. I was about to give up my beloved contacts when a while back I was having mystery migraines when I thought that I was eating safely. I posed the ques. about the lens solution and the stuff the Dr. would put in my eyes for my exam on this site and got great ideas. Kristy said that the ing. listed on all the solutions she saw looked very suspicious. Another post said something about a safer thing to dilate the eyes. I told my Doctor about it. He checked out the Web site right there in his office and used a safer drops in my eyes and said "no problem with the solution", let's go back to the plain hydrogen peroxide that changes over to safe saline in a special little case overnight. Just make sure you read the directions if you use that, because you CAN NOT rinse the lenses just before putting them in your eye with that solution. It has to be in the special container for at least 6 hours to turn into plain saline. It won't injure your eye the Doc. said, but you will have stinging for awhile. I had no reaction to that Dr. visit and I had before gotten a migraine after having my eye exam. The stuff all works well, at the same time I was advised by people here to wash the coating off any meds that I was taking, that meant prilosec for me, and to change to baking soda for teeth cleaning and to get rid of the creams and moisturizers that I so loved. What is the message here? I am so much healthier and eating well, feeling stronger every day, losing weight, it doesn't get any better. We have all sabotaged our own efforts when we were on the road that you are on. We are all still on that road, learning all the time. That is why we check this site all the time. To be informed to keep the health that we worked so hard for. I can already see a change in the tone of your posts. Frustrated or not, you are in charge of yourself and you want answers, that is the first huge step to take. Keep trying, get rid of some stuff, replace it with safe things. Your home can probably handle not getting a spray cleaning for a week or two and let's see if you feel better. If you have throw rugs pick them up and bag them, clean curtains and bedspreads and linens. It is a start. Good luck keep us posted. Mariann
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 10:19 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kristy, did you use Deb's recipe for homemade ketchup? I would like to try that out. Have him put a bit of vinegar on his fries, he will love it, or put a bit in a small dish and dip them. Yummy. Mariann
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 10:21 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kristy, sorry one more thing, where do you get soap nuts? Mariann HAPPY VALENTINES DAY EVERYBODY
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 10:00 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is the recipe I came up with for my son: http://www.livingitupcornfree.com/2010/02/corn-free-ketchup-recipe.html I can't find Deb's book since I moved or any of the books that I used frequently so I had to wing it. I used Kroger brand tomato paste and it is corn-free. I'm not sure what others are corn free in other parts of the country but I used to love the Bionaturae brand in the glass jars. I can't find them around here, though. You can sub onion powder and garlic powder for the diced onions and garlic in my recipe, but I prefer to use the real thing if possible.

I ordered the soap nuts from ebay. Just search for "soap nuts".
Tracey
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 10:10 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Mariann, Kristy and Di. I really appreciate all your advice. Yes, I am pretty sure I reacted right away to the asparagus and olive oil. But, since I am still swollen everyday, it is hard to tell what I am reacting to anymore. I went to Trader Joe's today and bought some oatmeal and ginger soap and also Tom of Maine toothpaste. Does anyone know if Trader Joe's soaps are safe? I hope so. I also bought Arm and Hammer all natural detergent (I forgot the exact name). It is a green bottle. I'm pretty sure this is safe too. Where do they sell coconut oil? Do they have it in stores? I couldn't find it today. Happy Valentine's Day everyone!
Tracey
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 15, 2010 - 10:28 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One more question. Does the coconut oil work good on your hair? I'm looking for the best natural shampoo and conditioner for my hair. I'm going to look at the tropical tradition site, but just wondering if there were other options for shampoos. Thanks!
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 15, 2010 - 3:18 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tracey I think Kristy uses coconut oil soap on her hair not the pure coconut oil. The oil is for a lotion on skin. Read the Tom's of Maine toothpaste, I think I read here that it has carageenan in it now, a no no for us. Really give plain baking soda a try. Just dump a little into a paper cup, wet your tooth brush tip the cup to bring some of the soda up the side of the cup, put your tooth brush into it and dab. Then have at it, it is a little salty at first hit, just brush as usual, when you rinse with fresh water it will almost be a sweet taste. It is so safe, don't mess with stuff that is questionable Tracey. Mariann
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 12:02 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.tomsofmaine.com/products/toothpaste.aspx

Tom's of Main toothpaste has many varieties. Click on a toothpaste. The ingredients are listed at the bottom of the page.
Tracey
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 2:50 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks. So, what does everyone use for toothpaste? I know Mariann recommended baking soda, but I'm wondering if anyone else has tried any actual toothpastes that are safe. Thanks!
Cheryl
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, July 07, 2013 - 6:17 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mariann,
I noticed that your eye dr. recommended Clear Care to clean your contacts back in 2010. Does this still work for you?
Thanks!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page