Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

MSG challange today!

Battling the MSG Myth » "Help! I Have a Question" » MSG challange today! « Previous Next »

MikeS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 2:00 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, enough of my endless questions, theories and assumptions.

Today is the day:

I purchased a small shaker of Accent (pure MSG).

I figure this is a relatively good time for the test because it's on the weekend, and on the heals of the 12/12/09 brisket party, or 12/15-12/16 six cloves of crushed garlic.

The terrible rash is subsiding (pretty much gone) so I figure I'm pretty much at the bring of being reactive (so it should take me much of the problem agent to push me over).

I must confess I felt like I was carrying rat poison back from the supermarket, based on every I've read about MSG.

I'll also confess being a bit nervous about the test, but I can't go on not knowing for sure.

Here it goes!

Mike
MikeS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 2:07 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If your concerned for my safety, don't worry.

Quoting directly from the shaker of Accent:

"Accent is ALL Natural" and "MORE healthful that salt, with 60% less sodium"

What a relief!
-Mike
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 7:06 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike I am concerned for your health, I hope it goes OK. You felt like you had rat poison in your hands because it is just that to so many of us. Hoping all is well with you and you can get your answer without being too sick. Mariann PS even if you don't react, I hope you realize that the effects of MSG as a neuro excitotoxin are not good for you. I feel almost lucky to have the reactions since it keeps me away from MSG. My Dad died with Alzheimers, a tragic disease. I must tell you that he ate Campbells soup every day for lunch. UGH
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 11:24 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike,

If you haven't used it yet, please don't. Nothing good can come of such a challenge.
MikeS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 3:48 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Mariann,

I very much appreciate your concern, and your point about discovering the evils of MSG, even if that's not the cause of my problems, is right on the money.

Not that I was ever a big diet drink user, but I will never tough the stuff after reading the books I have on MSG and sweeteners.

Even if it's not MSG for me, I don't see me enjoying KFC again, after getting up to speed on their ingredient list.

Mike
MikeS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 3:51 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roy, I also appreciate your concern, but the "nothing good can come of it" comment reminds me of the all too common theme on the Law & Order TV show:

If they lock up the wrong criminal (even if he's guilty of other crimes), then they stop looking for the real criminal, who is still out there committing crimes.

Regards,
Mike
MikeS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 11:58 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok. I had a serving of MSG (1/8th tsp, as stated on the Access shaker) with dinner last night.

No rash, or apparent terrible reaction.

(I'll admit I was very nervous about this test.)

Then, this morning, I had another serving of MSG with breakfast, and another serving with lunch.

So, 3 servings of MSG in 9 hours.

I think I'll stop here, and wait a few days to make sure I don't get any delayed onset skin rash or bad reaction.

I'm thinking that 3 servings of pure MSG should be enough to provoke a reaction in a susceptible person.

Keeping my fingers crossed,
Mike
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 12:30 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike, so if you don't see a reaction will you feel safe ingesting it from now on? if so, good luck - my mother died soon after she went into an assisted living facility, where they fed her food laden with the poison. She was very healthy physically before she went it - I'm sure her stroke was caused by it. AND there were many other residents that came in healthy and died within a month!
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 4:42 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Mike,

I'm glad to hear the challenge is going well. I know you have had so many troubles trying to get to the root of your reactions, I hope this will give you some answers you are looking for. Good luck! Emily
MikeS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 3:19 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had the one dose Sat. eve, two doses Sunday (breakfast & lunch).

It's Monday morning, and no rash yet, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

-Mike
MikeS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, December 28, 2009 - 3:21 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Di,

I'm very sorry for your loss.

And no, I don't plan on ingesting msg.

Through this year long process of devoting EVERY available moment to read, research, and trying to connect the dots, I feel like I've learned a lot about healthy living and food choices.

Once I get this nailed down, I'm looking forward to a healthy 2nd half of my life.

Regards,
Mike
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 12:23 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I prefer Knudsen's sour cream or plain safe yogurt, and I use organic butter...often beaten with almost as much milk olive oil with a pinch of salt and sugar for cooking or using on bread or vegetables. I suspect that some butters use glutamate enhanced salt, dry milk solids, or preservatives that I have reacted to.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 12:44 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bo'nana, it looks like we are still having problems with posts...I just answered one today that "anonymous" posted earlier about sour cream and butter...now I can't find her/his post. I called Mike and was frustrated that he had to get rid of some of the earlier posts in the archives, since it looks like it didn't help after all. He told me that he backed up the old stuff and I was relieved...thought you might be, too. Anyway, we'll still be looking for the problem in the meantime. Please be patient with us, okay? :-)
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 1:44 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

that IS a relief... how frustrating for you tho! dont worry, im sure we are all happy to hang in there with you- cheers!
sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 3:26 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have found the way to find recent posts when they don't click right. such as that post about butter, is to put the time in my "find" window in the browser and hope I can find it that way.

Search doesn't work well at least it didn't and I am not sure how much searching I have done since there was work on the site. I would put in a word into search and get links then open them and about 1/5 of those pages would be bad - nothing on the whole page with that word (again using the find command in the browser).
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 9:15 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the input, sara. Will run it by Mike tonight.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page