Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Slow Cooker (Crock Pot) Pinto Beans S...

Battling the MSG Myth » "Help! I Have a Question" » Slow Cooker (Crock Pot) Pinto Beans Safely « Previous Next »

MikeS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 3:29 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can it be done?

I tried 2.5 hours on low and it wasn't done.

From a FGA perspective, what's the problem:
1. long cooking times, or
2. high temperatures?

Thanks,
Mike
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 10:34 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

High temps plus long cooking times is the worst option.

Because a crock pot is a low temp for a long time its okay for some of us. I don't use mine often but I do use it. It would be great to hear how other people cook their beans and if they have done okay with a crock pot. The key is to not over cook the food and only cook it for as long as necessary.
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, December 25, 2009 - 6:50 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike, I cook my beans on the stove top in a heavy pot like my porcelain coated cast iron french oven (avoids hot spots, uneven cooking or sticking). I have found that if I watch my cooking temp it seems to be the most important part of the equation. I bring the beans to a boil but immediately lower the temp to the lowest possible setting. As with cooking broth, if I simmer very low just until my preferred doneness, I have no problems. For me, it is much more important what other ingredients I include. I have never had a problem when using fresh peppers, onions, garlic and corn-free uncured bacon as seasonings (fry diced bacon and saute diced hot peppers, onions and garlic in the bacon fat). Also, I tend to add the seasonings after the first hour so they don't cook as long as the beans - I do this now with all meat, add it later so it doesn't have to cook the whole time it takes to get the beans done).

I don't know about everyone else, but I have more luck with pinto beans and black beans than kidney beans - I don't know why and don't eat dried beans often enough to try to figure out if there was a brand problem or cooking time difference or seasonings that I used or if I just have a problem with kidney beans. Dried beans are just too hard for me to digest right now - I will revisit this later after more healing.

Oh yeah, I don't use a crock pot to cook beans because I just don't like the texture of the end product as much. I have eaten them cooked in a crock pot without a reaction, though.
MikeS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 1:59 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kristy,

How long does it take you to cook the beans stove top?

I'll have to dig out my thermometer and see what my low temp crock pot temperature is compared to low on stove.

I would have guess low is low, but that would have been just a guess.

Thanks!

Mike
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 6:58 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use the same pan that Kristy uses and I love it. I soak my beans overnight, begin by bringing them to a boil and lower it, put the cover on and cook for about 50 minutes. It makes a good bean. I use Anasazi, pinto, or navy (always organic in bulk from Whole foods). Sounds like Kristy and I do them pretty much the same way. Mariann The Kidney beans take longer I think because of their size.
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 7:08 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would estimate that it takes 2-3 hours. I don't know exactly, because I just cook for an hour or so and then check them every 30 minutes.
MikeS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 3:41 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Because I have that problem of past scarring of the small intestine from crohn's, and can't eat anything indigestible, I have to cook it much longer.

In fact, on my slow-cooker on low, I set it for 2.5 hours, it was not nearly done enough for me, so I put it on high for 2 hours, still not done, so I put it on low for 6 hours and then it was ok texture wise.
Shannon
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 07, 2010 - 4:28 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What works for us is cooking the beans in the pressure cooker on medium low heat. I soak the beans overnight and then rinse them and put them in the pressure cooker just coverd with water. I close the lid put the indicator on high pressure (I have a T-Fal Sensor 2 pressure cooker) turn the beans on high (10 on my stove) just until they are pressurized (you will know it is pressurized when you start to see steam coming out of the vent at the top) then I turn the stove down to medium low or 3. I cook beans 15 to 20 minutes once I turn the stove down to medium low. So, I don't start the timer until the pot is fully pressurized (at the same time I turn the stove down to 3, I set the timer).

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page