Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

"Ocular Rosacea" and MSG???

Battling the MSG Myth » "Help! I Have a Question" » "Ocular Rosacea" and MSG??? « Previous Next »

MikeS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 3:42 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just got back from the eye doctor and he said the redness in my eyes was caused by "Ocular Rosacea".

During the last year as I was trouble-shooting what turned out to be a reaction to MSG, I had the general sense that the redness in my eyes seemed to correlate to diet, though I couldn't exactly put my finger on it.

Has anyone ever heard of Rosacea being exacerbated by FGA??

Also, has anyone heard of red/bloodshot eyes being a reaction to MSG?

Thanks,
Mike
MikeS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 7:06 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As I'm reading and getting up to speed on this, I found this interesting:

the following are on the "avoid list:

http://www.internationalrosaceafoundation.org/lifestyle_recommendations.php4

meat marinades. chocolates soy sauce, yeast extract,

Another category would be aspartame and NutraSweet in soft drinks, jellos and other foods. Aspartame and NutraSweet as a sugar replacement causes noticeable flushing in 30% of rosaceans. Try a 60 day non-aspartame period to watch your facial blushing improve.
LisaMarie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, December 04, 2009 - 4:02 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MikeS,
If I eat something by accident with MSG and its many sources, yes, if makes my eyes much worse. I have occular roseaca, and plepharitis, which is made worse by ingestion of these things. Also, I will get spontaneous ruptures of blood vessels in my eyes.
I can't do anything about it but avoid MSG.
MikeS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, December 04, 2009 - 5:11 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you very much for taking the time to share that.

It's amazing how so many things are inter-related.

Mike
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, December 04, 2009 - 7:29 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike,

I just figured out that I was reacting to corn (citric acid) in the tap water when showering at my old place. My rosacea glowed bright red after every shower but that has disappeared since moving. I have since found out that it is common for some water treatment plants to use citric acid in the tap water. I guess a showerhead filter would be in order for some people.

Also, when my rosacea flares my eyes get dry and itchy and feel like I have something in them. It also precipitates my nodding off (narcolepsy) without warning. I am careful not to drive if my rosacea is flaring!

BTW, since moving I have had only one flair up of my rosacea and that was at the farmers market. I tried a lentil size dot of "whipped shea butter" on the back of my left hand. Once the left side of my face started glowing, the vendor confessed that she just called it "whipped shea butter", but it was actually shea butter "whipped" with lots of corny ingredients. I washed it off in the bathroom (with corny soap probably - I guess I need to carry my own soap) immediately but my whole face was glowing by the time I left.

What is really freaky is that all the things on that page that are known to worsen rosacea usually contain corn. My life would have been so much easier if the doctor had known my rosacea (which I have had since my twenties) could be caused by a corn allergy.

Kristy
MikeS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 3:48 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kristy, tap water is not something that would have ever been on my radar for citric acid.

I really have complete sympathy for people who are super reactive or allergic to different things in the environment.

It's scary: we've all heard of the extreme cases where someone with a severe peanut allergy can react if someone opens peanut M&M's across the room

Mike
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 4:46 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was shocked after almost 2 years of reactions to find out that the tap water was my nemesis. I had called and complained of the smell (it smelled like bad breath-YUCK!!) - I should have known since my nose tips me off many times to hidden allergens. There are all types of things that we react to and have no idea why. I suspect that there is hidden corn in many products that cause us problems. I know I avoid the deli area of walmart because the air there makes me ill....All that frying of pseudo-food and fumes coming off that steam table junk. It literally makes me sick to be near that stuff. I hate when the deli bakery is near the produce....It's torture being confined with a bunch of stinky people, too. They think they smell good, but all those chemicals make my nose burn and my head ache. I suspect it is because most of those chemicals are made from corn.
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 11:10 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike,

Take a look at this about ocular rosacea http://forums.delphiforums.com/AvoidingCorn/messages?msg=7329.13 on the avoiding corn forum.
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 5:55 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow Kristy, you seem to be on this site to answer my questions and Mike your keen inquisitory nature brings out those answers. Thanks to both of you. I just printed out this whole page to give to my daughter in law who has a terrible itching every time she showers and shows signs of so many of your symptons with corn allergy. I am going to get that blood type book that is in the web site that you listed. It is a very interesting site. I am wondering if some of my problems that are unexplainable might be linked. I am making the pickled garlic today and can use it after 4 weeks I believe. It will be awhile before I can write about the results, but I am excited. I will definitely use the organic apple cider vinegar, I feel safe with it. Thanks guys. Mariann
MikeS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 10:55 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi LisaMarie,

I'm not sure if "blood-shot" eyes are ruptured blood vesicles, but I got a really scary ruptured blood vesicle a few days ago (very acute, round, defined near the center of the eye). This may have happened due to coughing with this cold I got, but I've never had that happen in my entire life.

I had my annual eye exam the previous week so I'm not concerned about anything serious, and I have read that coughing/sneezing can cause ruptures, but it was odd that I've never had that in my entire life.

However, now that I'm 41, they say things just fall apart :-0

Mike
MikeS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 6:47 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's funny how whenever I make a conclusion, new information comes forward which makes me reconsider.

For example, I seemed to have reactions to my yellow organic protein bar (almond butter, rice protein powder, raisins, etc.) It seemed like my eyes would get acutely red and blood shot, or so I thought. About 2 months ago, my eyes were pretty good, I went on a 20 mile mountain bike ride. I had the protein bar at the midway point. A couple hours after the ride, my eyes got scary red. Since that was the only thing I had on the bike ride, and since rice protein powder has free glutamic acid, I concluded that was the culprit.

However, after reading about "Ocular Rosacea", it seems distinctly possible that the strain of the bike ride and heavy exercise could have caused the redness.

oh well, one more experiment I'll have to construct after things settle down.

Mike
MikeS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 9:44 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BTW, I wanted to share a really great tip that worked well for keeping the eyelids clean:

Much better than Johnson's Baby Shampoo is foaming eye scrub.

I used a product called SteriLid which worked sooo much better than the Johnson's Baby Shampoo. It was pretty expensive: $20 for a tiny dispenser.

I just ordered this (which got great reviews) and is MUCH MUCH less expensive:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A7VRYG/ref=oss_T15_product

-Mike
Anonymous
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 9:42 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm extremely sensitive to MSG, but dairy is what affects my vision most. Odd.
-Faith

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page