Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Gilbert's Syndrome

Battling the MSG Myth » "Help! I Have a Question" » Gilbert's Syndrome « Previous Next »

faithberry
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 1:27 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there anyone else here with Gilbert's Sydrome? How strongly does MSG/FGA effect you? Can you explain why/how the NMDA glutamate receptors become sensitized and how/why this effects people with Gilbert's.

Thanks very much, Faith
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 4:41 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Faith,

I have Gilbert's Syndrome and am extremely sensitive to MSG. I suspect that chronically high bilirubin levels are neurotoxic to begin with, making MSG avoidance even more important. Here are a couple links describing Gilbert's Syndrome's effects on brain metabolism.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14684236

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1277024/
faithberry
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, November 26, 2009 - 11:50 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roy,

Thanks for the links. Do you think these same effects on brain metabolism can occur in adults who are not schizophrenic?

When you say you are extremely sensitive to MSG, can you eat free range chicken, for example, or does the naturally occurring free glutamic acid effect you ?

Thanks, Faith
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, November 27, 2009 - 8:48 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Faith,

I think that the same effects on brain metabolism can occur in adults with Gilbert's syndrome who are not schizophrenic, but on a subtler level, and that MSG can precipitate them.

When I say that I am extremely sensitive to MSG, I mean that when I do get a reaction it could make me unconscious or last for a week before I discovered that a few ibuprofen taken in time could tame it. I keep ibuprofen in a pill box on my key chain for emergencies.

I can eat chicken without additives, which I have maybe once a month, without obvious problems. Naturally occurring free glutamic acid doesn't seem to affect me like it does others on this board unless something is added that brings it out, such as when citric acid is added to tomatoes.
faithberry
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, November 30, 2009 - 11:27 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roy,

I'm so sorry you have such an extreme reaction to MSG. Fortunately, it sounds like you have it under control.

Thanks so much for your reply. Faith
Zoomer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, November 30, 2009 - 11:29 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Beside the topic, but my experience with organic chicken filets is that I can eat them it if I undercook and stop when the meat is still juicy.
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 9:04 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I hadn't heard of this GS until today. My son (the one that is sensitive to glutamate) was very jaundiced at birth. Is GS associated with jaundice at birth? Is it something I should look into more? There is bipolar on both sides of his family and schizophrenia on both and he has a mood disorder (which is mostly fixed by staying glutamate free) but no signs of jaundice that I've noticed. OTOH he has the fatigue and some other symptoms.

Is there any adrenal weakness associated with GS? What about heavy metal toxicity?

Thanks,

Lisa
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 2:25 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lisa,

"Newborn infants with the molecular marker for GS have an accelerated increase in neonatal jaundice during the first 2 days of life."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9580766?dopt=Abstract
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 5:47 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lisa,

Regarding heavy metal toxicity, the link below is a discussion about how mercury exposure affects those with Gilbert's Syndrome. One poster went so far as to blame their Gilbert's on such exposure, but the condition is genetic.

http://gilbertsweb.yuku.com/forum/viewtopic/id/476
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 10:21 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Something that might interest all of you...I've read the Gut and Psychology Syndrome book and we are on the GAPS diet. It makes the case for many of our modern diseases being linked with gut disbyosis. We are trying to heal our gut after years of undiagnosed allergies so I am very interested in all this.

The GAPS diet is used by parents to heal people with Autism, schizophrenia, ADHD, dyslexia, eczema, allergies, depression and others. All of these disorders have been helped with this diet and some are members of the yahoo group and post updates.

Anyway, the most interesting part of the book is when she talks about autistic kids and how they always have multiple GI problems: parasites, heavy metals, bacteria, fungus and yeast overgrowth, leaky gut, etc. These kids are not exposed to more of these things than other people but something obviously causes them to not be able to fight these things off.
faithberry
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 7:13 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lisa,

GS is associated with jaundice at birth. It is also more common in schizophrenia so that might be how the genes got passed on.

The marker for GS is elevated unconjugated bilirubin, a standard liver test. People with GS though will often test normal unless they are having a flare, so it might be difficult to diagnose in your son if you have it under control.

I've learned a LOT from this site:
www.gilbertssyndrome.com

You can learn a lot about what to avoid and what helps.

Doctor's always say it's a benign condition, but I don't think that's the case for everyone.

If I understand it correctly, GS is a syndrome of toxicity because one of your detox systems is not working at 100%. So if you are exposed to lots of toxins, eat lots of MSG and other junk, etc. that's when the bilirubin starts to elevate because your body can't process it all quickly enough.

Yes, it's also associated with heavy metals. I have too much mercury and lead myself.

I don't understand the science behind why people with GS are more sensitive to MSG, although it's listed on the MSG Truth site under why some people may be more sensitive to MSG and FGA.

Hope this helps.

Good luck. Faith
faithberry
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 12:46 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roy,

I was wondering why you only eat chicken once a month? Are you more on a vegetarian diet? Have you found a diet that helps with the Gilbert's Syndrome.

Thought I posted this before, but can't find it, so apologies if it gets posted twice.

Thanks so much.

Faith
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 8:21 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Faith,

I can eat chicken without unsafe additives whenever I want to. The reason I eat it only about once a month is that I prefer fish.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2010 - 9:23 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jaundice is also associated with autism, another reason to carefully avoid MSG and other toxins:

http://www.northjersey.com/news/health/104687969_Does_jaundice_at_birth_raise_autism_risk_.html
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2010 - 9:36 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

what do you want to bet that the common denominator is that both are syndromes involving problems in the detox pathways?
along with numerous other "unrelated" health problems, i am sure... the GAPS diet that helped kristy's family so much is essentially geared toward detoxing the gut... and look at all the chronic 'incurable' disorders it benefits!

the more i am learning about all of this, the more convinced i become that most of our chronic health problems are caused by our own chronic toxicity, becoz of the chronically polluted environments we exist in!
Food- Water- Air- Soil- loaded with chemicals, chemicals, chemicals
aargh!!
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2010 - 11:06 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

bo'nana,

The GAPS diet limits lactose, which I already avoid due to inherited lactose intolerance. Some of the other dietary restrictions, however, I would have a hard time sticking with.

http://www.gapsdiet.com/Home_Page.html
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2010 - 4:34 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well, yeah- me too :-) ... altho it is a program that works great for those it helps, but i was only really meaning to comment on the detox aspect as just another example of how interconnected i am feeling the whole toxicity issue is... if that made better sense?

i wasnt actually pushing a particular diet, i guess my earlier comment did probly sound a bit confused
carolh
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 11:52 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roy, I am so glad you saw that article. I thought of you immediately. You helped put the Glibert's syndrome piece of the puzzle into the flow chart on MSGTruth.

The liver really is key.
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 7:41 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Guys, I haven't been on in a while, but I just wanted to note that the GAPS diet does have a lot of restrictions in the beginning but is designed to heal the gut so that everything can be tolerated in the end. Everything besides additives, chemicals, etc., so you should be able to add back wheat, dairy, rice, potatoes, sugar, etc. after you heal - though you may not want them anymore by then.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page