Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Is Splenda better than NutraSweet?

Battling the MSG Myth » "Help! I Have a Question" » Is Splenda better than NutraSweet? « Previous Next »

MikeS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, November 09, 2009 - 6:51 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My friend is addicted to diet coke.

He's nearly 300 pounds.

I've been unable to convince him to switch from diet coke to regular coke because his weight is so out of control.

He's always on the go, so home brewed iced tea with Stevia isn't convenient.

Other than the obvious choice of water, what's a readily available option to satisfy his sweet tooth when he's on the road?

Thanks,
Mike
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, November 09, 2009 - 10:29 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike I think the word you used "addicted" is the answer to your question. A person has to make that decision on their own. I was that person, one of the first things I did when I got sick of being sick was to kick the diet coke habit. I am so grateful to be free of it and I can't believe how much I depended on it. I started to lose weight right away. I am still working on getting rid of some hidden glutamate, things I thought were Ok that weren't or things I tricked myself into believing were OK. Now I am on--let's see - I'm not sure how many days without a headache. I have to check my log. That in itself is a miracle for me. We can not want something for someone more than they want it themselves. We all come to our decisions to be healthy and feel good over the immediate gratification of foods that make us feel good for a moment and then make us sick. We can show people how good we feel and lead by example that's about it. I love that you have a caring nature Mike, but you probably can't change this friend of yours. We need to tell the truth even when it is not what we want to hear. I will keep your friend in my prayers as will all the other people on this site, however it is that they send good energy to others. Mariann
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 10, 2009 - 1:18 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike, regular coke would be only slightly better for him than diet coke. Regular coke has several sources of GMO corn and glutamic acid but diet coke adds the extra neurotoxin Aspartame. I can't think of a single thing that isn't homemade that would be acceptable alternatives.

You could direct him to this site for a soda pop alternative: http://www.cheeseslave.com/2009/06/05/how-to-make-homemade-soda-pop-with-kefir-grains/, but it wouldn't help if he isn't interested in changing. You could talk to him about how all the chemicals in his favorite foods and drinks are actually sabotaging his diet by making him hungry all the time. If he could slug it out for a week without them, he would lose that unnatural, unrelenting hunger he undoubtedly lives with which would make it easier to go without them.

Unfortunately, he is well on his way to getting so ill that eventually he will be willing to "try anything" even cutting out all his favorite toxins to get better. (Along with his 300 lbs. he probably has numerous other problems) It is hard to watch someone determined to keep going down the road that is killing them but I have found no way to avoid it except look away. All you can do is suggest some reading material and let him know you are there if he wants your help.
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 10, 2009 - 5:36 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

kristy, you are so right. It is a futile effort to try to convince someone to give up any addiction unless they truly want to. It becomes increasingly difficult to look away if it's a loved one who's health is deteriorating but if they are an adult all you can do is be there for them.
MikeS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 17, 2009 - 6:52 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm reading a very interesting book: "Sweet Deception" by Dr. Joseph Mercola.

There is a chapter on Aspartame, and a chapter on Splenda.

After reading both, I wouldn't be caught having either.

Aspartame is a neurotoxin and falls in the same family as MSG.

Splenda is absorbed by the body more than the mfg would have you believe, and doesn't get excreted that fast either.

BTW, I read this interesting article about honey:
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=96

Aside from being tasty, it sounds like it has some very good antibacterial, antifungal and other good properties.

I think I'm going to go honey browsing at Whole Foods tomorrow.

-Mike
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, November 20, 2009 - 2:29 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike, the YS Organic brand of raw honey is fabulous. If you've never had raw crystallized honey you are in for a real treat!

I had a corn reaction from some pasteurized honey so we don't buy any of it anymore. I am not sure how they are getting corn into it since the label said, "Ingredients: honey", but it definitely had corn in it.
MikeS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, November 20, 2009 - 2:38 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kristy,

Funny you mention YS brand.

I just got the YS raw buckwheat honey.

It is SOOOOO good.

Sadly (or maybe thankfully), I now need to start watching my weight again.

I was down to 170 at my thinnest when I didn't know what was causing problems, was afraid to eat, and trying the anti-candida diet (no sugars, so very little carbs).

Now I'm up to 184 (I need to be at 177) for my clothes to fit right.

Since my non-reaction at that buffet, I've been expanding my diet a bit. Had burger & fries at FiveGuys burgers with no apparent problem (hence the additional weight gain).

Regards,
Mike
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 8:31 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To answer your original question I believe Splenda is an excitotoxin also.

For those that can tolerate sugar alcohols (corn based I'm sure), Diet Virgil's is pretty good (some of them have Stevia which I don't like the taste of, but my son doesn't mind).

I think one of the problems for those that are glutamate sensitive, is that glutamate toxicity is effected by blood sugar levels, so both the sweet and nonsweet versions can be problematic.
Zoomer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, December 06, 2009 - 1:29 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stay away from all artificial sweeteners. Cravings for sweet taste is similar to an addiction. Stay away and the craving will subside over time.

The least harmful sweeteners are the plant Stevia and possibly sugar and birch sugar (xylitol).
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 2:03 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just got a recipe for pickled garlic that my grandson absolutely loves. An adopted Aunty made it and I hear it is great. Sooo of course I want to try it out. It uses white vinegar, I am wondering if any of you successfully use white vinegar and if there is any reason that Braggs organic apple cider vinegar might not work. I think I copied some recipes that Kristy uses for veg. pickling, but I can't find them right now and I don't want to let my organic garlic go too long without doing this. Anyone got an answer for me? Thanks in advance. Mariann
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 6:55 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Mariann,

Braggs apple cider vinegar should work just fine but it has a less neutral taste than white vinegar which is why corn vinegar is so popular. I bet it will be some delicious pickled garlic.

Good Luck,
Kristy
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 4:30 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kristy thanks for the input, I appreciate it. I will let you know how this turns out. I was able to get organic garlic from a local farm and have planted 30 individual cloves. I can hardly wait until spring. If there's 6 in each bulb, I'll have 180 new cloves in all. I guess I'm counting my chickens before they hatch, but it is so fun. I had some of the farms "green" garlic, (just means early not dried skins on them). It was so great tasting. You have great ideas thanks for helping me out. Mariann

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page