Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Stearic acid

Battling the MSG Myth » "Help! I Have a Question" » Stearic acid « Previous Next »

MikeS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, October 30, 2009 - 7:17 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is listed as "other ingredient" of the magnesium taurate capsule I just purchased.

According to wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stearic_acid ), it is prepared by treating animal fat with water at a high pressure and temperature, leading to the hydrolysis of triglycerides. It can also be obtained from the hydrogenation of some unsaturated vegetable oils. Common stearic acid is actually a mix of stearic acid and palmitic acid, although purified stearic acid is available separately.

Question: since the source is oil (and not protein), I'm thinking it should not have much glutamate to liberate into free glutamic acid.

Would you guess it's the capsule or the contents? If the capsule, of course I could just empty it. If it's the contents, that won't work.

The other "other ingredients" include: cellulose and silicon dioxide".

Whatta you think?

I'm at the stage where I may take the advice previously given and go for the tri salts powder.

Mike
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, October 31, 2009 - 5:56 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know the answer to your question, but I do know that my son didn't react with a glutamate reaction to these at all. He did react with fatigue but for him that is not glutamate related, generally. I think it was too much taurine for him given that he already takes taurine. And since he completely lost it about 3 days after we tried removing the regular taurine (and returned to normal a day or two after we put it back in),
I think there might be benefit for you in trying them, because of the taurine. The Tri-Salts have quite a bit of calcium.

I guess my gut feel is that you have to figure out where on the sensitivity scale you are and change things accordingly. If you are going to try out pizza once in a while, and food that probably has low levels of glutamates (which we do too, so I'm not judging!!), then I'd not worry about vegetarian capsules too much. But that's just my personal opinion...my son reacts to Domino's but takes about 25 capsules a day and doesn't react to them. (Of course, they could be adding up - but it's a quite small amount - I am going to try to reduce what he takes when I can; it's just that it goes badly every time I do!).

I'm not saying that some people don't react...just that vegetarian capsules are pretty low on the list.

My (unasked for) advice is to remember that this is a very big "elephant" to deal with. You know, the saying, "The only way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time"? Don't burn yourself out or you may find yourself saying, "screw it" and going out for Pizza Hut :-) It's a long haul...keep on writing in your spreadsheet/journal, keep on figuring out whatever information you can, but also get outside and exercise, read junk novels, let it all go sometimes. You'll refine things as you go - you don't have to find all the answers today.

Lisa (speaking from experience and a place of empathy, not judgement)
MikeS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, October 31, 2009 - 6:47 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lisa, I totally agree: I very much want to avoid the big ticket offenders and avoid them most aggressively. In fact, one of my posts was lamenting that there's no "worst-scale" for the gazillion ingredients on the "bad" list. My thinking is that for things that don't matter, I'd rather find something with zero glutamic acid rather than only a little, because yes, it is additive.

And yes, balance is important. I've been going to the gym 4-5 days/week and am generally very pleased that I mostly have this under control.

I am indeed trying to figure out where I am on the sensitivity scale now that I've stopped taking 6,000 mg of glutamic acid in the form of powdered protein in my shake each morning.

Interesting: it's been a month since I've arrived at the MSG thing and do think and agree on the additive nature of it all.

A few nights ago, I went to a very cool pre-opening press event for a piano bar. It was open bar with lots of fancy delicious food items (crab cakes, sliders with blue-cheese, shrimp with cocktail sauce). I had it all, and a lot of it, (mainly to see if my system's settled down). And, I'm pleased to report to terrible reaction: maybe a bit itchy. Since I didn't ask about any ingredients, I can only assume some items had msg or glutamic acid). The reason I say "maybe a bit itchy", is (as per another post), I don't want to conclude that everything is an MSG reaction onless it's repeatable 2 or 3 times. Since we're going into the fall season, and I'm going to the gym & using the sauna 4-5 times / week, and extra showers, I just want to make sure it's not simply unrelated dry skin.

And yes, I am interested in trying to get all the answers as quickly as possible, just so I don't needlessly accumulate free glutamic acid out of my own ignorance. The entire last year was consumed 99% with me googling, reading, researching, trying to get to the bottom of my condition. As many people on this board have no doubt experienced, conventional doctors are very little help. Though well intentioned, each is soo specialized, none were able to see the big picture or the "whole patient". It still shocks me how none particularly asked about what I was eating, what I was taking (supplement wise), etc. My allergist basically said take an antihistamine and figure it out myself with a food diary.

Overall, I'm very up-beat, eager to help others with what I've learned.

I very much appreciate the information and perspective from everyone here,

Mike

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page