Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Hormel's Dinty Moore Beef Stew

Battling the MSG Myth » "Help! I Have a Question" » Hormel's Dinty Moore Beef Stew « Previous Next »

MikeS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 10:36 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The label on this product is pretty clean. It does have modified cornstarch, carmel color and flavoring.

I called them and asked about the "flavoring".

She asked: "Are you allergic to something?"

I said I'm trying to avoid MSG and free glutamic acid.

She said if the product has MSG, it has to appear as such on the label (it's the law).

I asked: what about hydrolyzed soy protein, autolyzed yeast, etc.

She said that would appear on the label if it was in there (not sure if she claimed that too was the law").

I asked what the flavoring is, and she said: "spices & herbs".

Does this product sound ok to you?

Thanks,
Mike
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 11:29 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I personally would never eat it, it would give me a guaranteed reaction. Does it also have some sort of broth on the label, maybe beef broth?
MikeS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 12:16 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Full label:
Beef Gravy (water, beef, tomatoes (water, tomato paste), modified cornstarch, salt, potato starch, carmel color, sugar, flavoring), beef, potatoes)
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 1:56 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow, that does appear to have a pretty clean label. However they would need to heavily cook the beef and tomatoes to get some flavor and I personally would react to the overcooking of the beef and tomatoes. I would also react to the cornstarch and the flavorings. That being said, that is a pretty clean label for packaged soup.
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 3:11 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That label looks suspicious to me the beef may not be hormone or antibiotic free, the tomatoes may have citric acid and the tomato paste is hight processed to get it to be concentrated. I can eat Cento All Purpose crushed tomatoes (stating only red ripe tomatoes) but I can not use their paste. I think it is the time of cooking. Then you have the modified cornstarch and potato starch (??from idaho potatoes??, caramel color, flavorings and potatoes (from where?) I would not eat that either Emily. And as I have admitted on this board, I sometimes can trick myself when in denial about certain things I Think I can eat. Stay away Mike don't lose the ground you have made. Mariann
MikeS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 4:05 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wise advice Emily & Mariann.

And no, I don't plan on transitioning to canned, processed meats.

I used to eat this often, and the texture is very very processed.

The thing that really irks me is the catch-all "flavorings".

So often, I call a manufacturer and they simply say: "trade secret".

Since their goal is to clean up their label, it's certainly the place to hide free glutamic acid.
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 7:55 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would not trust flavorings in a soup, a cheese or meat flavored product, etc. Also, "spices" can include MSG ingredients as I bet you already know :-)
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, October 30, 2009 - 2:10 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's (at least one of) the culprit(s):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caramel_color. Also, starch of any kind is a no-no. I don't even need to know what veggie it comes from - all I have to do is imagine what methods they must use to separate the starch from the rest of the veggie.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page