Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Anyone using Vitamin D supplements?

Battling the MSG Myth » "Help! I Have a Question" » Anyone using Vitamin D supplements? « Previous Next »

MikeS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, October 24, 2009 - 5:43 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I picked up a bottle of Kal Ultra D3 5,000 IU.

These things are tiny "beads".

The bottle says:
cellulose, starch, sucrose, stearic acid, magnesium stearate, silica

I bought these because they were most concentrated, and compact, and I figured that starch & sugar would be things I'd get incidental exposure to in a restaurant, and as I said: these things are tiny.

If there's another brand that others are using with success, I'd be happy to try that.

We are going into winter and swine flu season, and I want to keep my vitamin D levels optimal.

Mike
MikeS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, October 26, 2009 - 12:26 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I spoke to the Kal folks:

source d3= sheep lanolin.
starch=wheat, rice, corn, anything, they have no idea.
magnesium stearate is from palm kernal oil,
silca herb: horse tail,
cellulose: from birch tree

-Mike
Jennifer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, October 26, 2009 - 1:03 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I find the benefits of Vitamin D outweigh concerns of reaction. I take 1000-2000 units/day. Right now I have a brand made by Pharmica. I don't remember what's in it but it's 2000IU and I don't seem to react to it. Others might not have good luck with it.
MikeS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, October 26, 2009 - 3:46 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I totally am a Vitamin D believer.

From what I understand,taking 7,000 once a week is the same as taking 1,000 daily. The reason I take 5,000 IU "beadlets" is I figure I get more vitamin D per weight (e.g. more D, less filler, capsule material).

Mike
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, October 26, 2009 - 4:00 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My daughter has a dairy free diet so vitamin D is a topic her allergist and ped talks to us about each year.

For someone with fair skin, 10 minutes of sun exposure daily (even if its cloudy) while wearing a short sleeved shirt is all that is needed. I just make sure, even on cold days, we spend time outside.
MikeS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, October 26, 2009 - 4:40 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Emily, what's your latitude? (e.g. closer to Texas or Maine?)

I recently red an entire book on Vitamin D, and have a true appreciate for it.

2 things I learned: unless the UV index (as reported at weather.com) is greater than 3, you're really not making any vitamin D.

Also, if you ever get your vitamin D checked, it should be at the end of the winter (when it will be at it's lowest).

Ok: one more thing: a "tan" is your body's natural way of making sure you don't make too much vitamin D. I'm normally "fair" and this summer was the first time I allowed myself to get "tan" - meaning, the first time I got sufficient vitamin D (through supplements and sun). The "tan" is like a perdue pop-up oven temp. indicator - that you are getting enough.

Has your daughter ever had her vitamin d levels checked?
Zoomer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 12:27 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I buy 5000 IU from LEF.org and don't have a reaction.
You should take it almost daily.
MikeS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 3:12 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm waiting till the end of summer to see what my D level is only taking the 5,000 IU.

I did get my level up from 18 to 55 but was was supplementing AND trying to get sun on a regular basis during the summer.

From what I'm reading, 3,000 - 5,000 depending on body weight should probably be enough.

But, since you don't have the melanin feedback loop when taking supplements, I suspect you could get too much.

However, I think this year, I'm going to err on the side of taking a bit more, and hopefully keep the swine away.

Mike
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 11:06 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Mike, interesting information about vitamin D. We live in Utah. With it being a white out snow storm right now our UV index is a 2 today.

I've never had my daughter's vitamin D checked (she is only 2), however we do spend at least an hour a day outside. I always cover her in sunscreen but she does get a pretty good tan in the summer. I also checked her "milk" and it is fortified with some vitamin D so she is getting a little bit through supplements.

I'll have to pay closer attention to our UV index and see how it changes through the seasons- thanks for letting me know.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page