Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Cumulative / Delayed response . . .

Battling the MSG Myth » "Help! I Have a Question" » Cumulative / Delayed response . . . « Previous Next »

MikeS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, October 21, 2009 - 11:27 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know, I know, I should only introduce one food at a time and wait many days before proceeding, but I felt like I was doing well, so I added the following (and think I'm feeling the early signs of a reaction).

Which of the following I've been enjoying for the last 4 days or so is most likely the culprit? (By the way, none of the following has any of the banned ingredients, or general ones like "natural flavorings". All are clean label.

chicken (dark meat cooked stove top for 40 minutes 2.5 pounds),
wheat pita,
coconut oil,
greek yogurt,
olive oil,
mozzarella cheese,
frozen strawberries &
frozen blueberries,
kettle potato chips,
Brazil nuts,
haagen dazs strawberry ice cream.

I'll confess I'm a bit bummed out because I was really hoping that simply by avoiding the bad ingredients, I'd be able to eat stuff like this without being subjected to perhaps cumulative effects.

I know that some people advocate a rotation diet so you're not eating so much of the same things, but my theory is that it's more informative if I do a food challenge by having alot of something, and get a reaction, I know that's not for me. It's like having only a little arsenic , and not getting very ill, then concluding it's ok to have arsenic ever 3rd day.

Mike
MikeS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, October 21, 2009 - 12:57 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looking back at the food labels, I think the mozzarella cheese I got at Whole Foods was the problem:

cultured pasturized organic part skim milk, salt, microbial enzymes.

Thinking back to the beginning of the month, I started making home-made pizzas with this cheese. I added a tomato sauce, started having problem, and thought it was the sauce. But this time, no sauce, just that cheese.

Looking back on the "bad list" of ingredients, it does say "enzyme modified anything". I'm not sure why that didn't register with me.

I had gone on several haagen das ice cream binges, with no ill effects (eating a whole pint at a time), and I'm thinking it was the cheese.

Sometimes, just writing the whole thing out, helps me get to the bottom of things.

Mike
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, October 21, 2009 - 2:47 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It just may have been the totality of all the glutamate in the chicken, wheat, yogurt, mozzarella, and ice cream. I can often tolerate one item in small quantities but when in combo with other foods containing glutamate AND especially in consecutive days, I run into trouble. The next time you try mozarella by itself, one day only, you may not react.
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, October 21, 2009 - 7:57 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try whole milk mozarella and see if that works for you. We can't eat the part skim mozarella but can tolerate the whole milk mozarella from time to time. Also the greek yogurt could have milk solids added to it before being cultured, maybe somone else has experience with that brand? Were the brazil nuts raw?

We'll keep our fingers crossed that it wasn't the Haagen Das.... :-)
MikeS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 22, 2009 - 11:28 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, brazil nuts were raw. I have an email inquiry into Whole Foods to ask about any auxigro.

Do you have the mozarella time to time because you like it, or in an attempt to broaden your diet from a nutritional standpoint?

I'm arriving at the position that if I can only it it from time to time, I rather skip it all together.

If figure I should "save up" msg credits for the accidental exposures, and time when I'm in a restaurant.

Mike
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 22, 2009 - 10:31 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We just don't eat it very often because we don't do very well with most of the things that commonly go with it (tomatoes, bread) and don't like it much by itself. We never eat yeast bread and can't even tolerate lightly cooked tomatoes. We have tried different variations on pizza or pasta sauce trying to find something that works but just haven't been successful. However, when we ate the leftover mozarella cheese alone later there were no reactions.
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - 6:36 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike, I just wanted to say I'm so sorry you are having a reaction...that sounds so depressing. Thinking of you...
MikeS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 29, 2009 - 9:16 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whenever I catch myself getting bummed out about this eating thing, I quickly remind myself that others have chronic incurable diseases.

At least for me, I can go on a neutral diet of chicken, rice, sea salt & oil and get relief. Of course, it took me about 5 months to realize that.

When I look back though my food diary, I really cringe at what I was eating, and then looking at the effect it had on my body: protein shake, protein shake, chinese food, Kentucky Fried Chicken, then wammo: terrible skin rash all over my body.

At least now, because I'm so watchful, I don't let it get to state 10: if I start noticing a problem, I quickly reverse course.

-Mike

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page