Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

How long does the MSG reaction last?

Battling the MSG Myth » "Help! I Have a Question" » How long does the MSG reaction last? « Previous Next »

LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, September 23, 2009 - 5:22 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry if this has been covered before...I'm wondering how long different people's reactions to glutamates last. My son has glutamate sensitivity and he is doing so much better as I constantly refine what foods I buy. But he's old enough that I can't control all of his food and sometimes he decides something with glutamates is worth eating or he doesn't have much choice. The reaction seems to be short-lived, but I'm wondering if it is still effecting him days/weeks later as well?

Thanks,

Lisa S
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, September 23, 2009 - 2:15 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My reaction starts exactly 4 hours after eating free glutamate with very intense stomach pains that last for 1-2 hours depending on the dosage. The pain then goes away and I'm left with an ulcer type pain in my upper stomach area that lasts approximately 4 weeks. With a very, very mild dosage I won't experience the 1-2 hours of intense pain but will just get the dull ulcer type pain for a few weeks, sometimes just 2 weeks, other times it lasts at least 4 weeks.

Hope this helps, Emily
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 5:07 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LisaS,

My reaction (sacroiliac pain) usually begins within 20 minutes, intensifies, and can last up to 3 weeks (because of the inflammation I assume). But the longer I am FGA-free the fewer the lengthy episodes, now they sometimes last only a couple of days.
Marnie B.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 10:57 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My reaction is a migraine but I am fortunate to not have had a migraine since I became MSG-free 10 months ago. If I accidentally ingest a small amount of free glutamate, within 10 minutes my arms, chest and forehead begin to tingle. I then discontinue eating the problem food and take 1 benadryl and 2 ibuprophen and so far have had no further reactions.

We eat almost exclusively at home using EmilyS's and Deb A's recipes. I have no interest in taking huge chances after suffering 25 years of horrible migraines.
Melinda
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 24, 2009 - 10:30 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Of course everyone is a little different - some are more sensitive than others and each person may manifest different symptoms. I think it also depends on what form the msg is in - for example, straight msg seasoning would render many very ill and could last for a long time (days and weeks), whereas cooked chicken or red meat may not cause trouble for some, yet others it will, but may only last a short time period as it's not as intense. Also to take into consideration is how much is already in your system - the more that is already in one's system, the more sensitive you would be as well as possibly having a longer reaction time.

For me, I am extremely sensitive, but it depends on the type of msg I ingested. In a real severe reaction, I will have GI tract distress (cramping and bloating)and nausea for a good 3 days to a full week or more. The reactions can show up anywhere from immediate to several days later. If I have an immediate reaction, such as face flushing, anxiety, irritability, and breathing problems, it usually disapates within a short time period of several hours from ingestion, but then I'll have the gastric distress for several days to longer.

I have been drinking Nettle Tea which is a natural anti-histamine and it seems to help a bit. I also make sure I drink tons of water and may even provide my body a little extra help in elimination such as drinking Smooth Move tea.
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, September 26, 2009 - 9:43 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I'm hoping over time he chooses more and more safe foods when he is away from me, but it sounds like most people have reactions for at least a couple weeks, so we won't really know how he feels completely free of glutamates without at least a few weeks of no exposure, which will be tricky to say the least! (We've done it before with gluten, but in some ways that is easier since at least there is a label to follow!)

Since eliminating as much as we can has gotten us to a much happier place, I think we'll "coast" here for a while, but down the line I definitely want to do a complete "diet sweep" to go to the next level.

Thanks again. I'll try to remember to check back for more replies. (Would be nice to be able to get email notifications! But haven't figured out a way to do that).
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, September 26, 2009 - 10:53 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Checking back periodically is also good for reading about things you might not have thought to ask yet. The longer I've been part of this board the more I look forward to reading how others deal with things - you'd be amazed at all the topics that come up. Anyway, glad to hear you and your son are doing better.
Five
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 22, 2009 - 4:55 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I used to react within the hour of ingesting MSG or other agent. It would come on like roaring thunder in a distance that came closer and closer. This was accompanied by a growing pressure in the head.

Then, I got Laser Accupuncture treatments.
This seems to have caused the reaction time start about 12 hours later.
It begins with restless, twitchy leg muscles, and then I become very cold, as the body temps goes down. This is most noticeaable below the waist and all the way to the toes.
When this passes the pressure and roaring & ringing in the head, muscles aches and other attendant mizery sets in.
It can last up to 48 hours, usually starts to recede after 12 hours.

I thought I would try some Organic Rice tonite.
Yuk, it tasted like cardboard smells. Leaving a bad taste in my mouth. Looks like a bad day tomorrow.
Anon
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, October 23, 2009 - 5:23 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Five,

Wow, your progression of symptoms are interesting. I will pass this on to my husband.

You might want to try a different brand of rice, because it shouldn't taste like cardboard smells and leave a bad taste in your mouth.
jethy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2011 - 3:02 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had a bad reaction last night and have been very interested reading your posts, hope someone can help me. About 10 minutes after eating a takeaway pizza, I started feeling unwell, I had very bad stomach ache, profuse sweating, feeling dizzy and difficulty breathing and my hands went numb/tingly, I felt as if I was going to pass out. I have looked this up and it sound like anaphylactic shock, possible from MSG in the pizza, my husband called an ambulance, but it had worn off when they arrived. I can't eat chinese takeaways already because I feel so ill the next day. Does anyone know if this is possible? I have had M.E./CFS for 21 years, I'm wondering if I should try an additive free diet, I would be grateful for any help, thanks
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2011 - 3:31 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jethy, I can't think of a reason NOT to try an additive free diet. You have nothing to lose, just your health to gain. You've already made the connection to MSG or FGA (free glutamic acid) from chinese food. FGA is in 99.9% of prepared food including restaurant food. All those chemicals and toxins are hidden, but don't be fooled by their "healthy" label claims, that's just a cover. The fact that you noticed a dramatic difference in how you felt 10 minutes after eating pizza told you something too. I'm glad you didn't need to go to the hospital, but you might not be so lucky next time. Please try Deb's test diet, or at least stay away from anything that's been processed and see how you feel. You will be amazed as you feel better and better and have more energy. Glad you found this site, it's wonderful!
jethy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2011 - 3:39 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Di, yes I will try and keep off processed food and see if that helps. I'll try the test diet if it doesn't, but sounds very hard to do! I tend to go hypo if I don't eat enough, but I'll give it a go. Thanks again x
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2011 - 5:55 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jethy,

Your reactions of feeling as if you're going to pass out are exactly what I get (until I actually do pass out). I've found that I can stop a reaction if I take ibuprofen in time. Please keep some with you at all times and avoid all forms of free glutamate, as I fear your low blood sugar is putting you at high risk for dangerous reactions. Be especially wary of eating things you can't read the ingredients of to check against this list:
http://www.msgmyth.com/hidden_names.html
jethy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2011 - 10:20 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Roy, but can't take ibuprofen, it gives me diarrhoea. I was wondering whether to take anti-histamine next time, do you think that would help? I've just bought some of the 'drowsy' version as I'm having trouble sleeping too. Sorry to hear you're going through the same thing, it's really horrible and frightening isn't it? I've checked out the list too, thanks again.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2011 - 12:19 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jethy, ibuprofen is the only thing that has ever lifted me out of an MSG reaction, and I don't take it on a regular basis. I consider uncomfortable but unscary such side effects to be a small price to pay to stop sink further into the horrors of a bad dose of MSG, which to me feel life-threatening. As MSG is a toxin rather than an allergen, anti-histamines may not help. I rarely have more than subtle reactions to MSG anymore as I am scrupulous in avoiding it and don't want the next time to be the last time.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2011 - 12:24 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

p.s. - by "the last time" I mean I fear it could be the last time I'm conscious. MSG has made me black out unconscious, and I sometimes need help to make it back.
jethy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2011 - 11:58 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, I see what you mean, when you put it like that! I will try it next time. I'm going shopping today and will check everything and try the test diet, I've woken up with an almighty headache (again) today, must be something I had yesterday, I'm really fed up, I wish I could feel 'normal' again instead of ill all the time and in pain. Here's hoping!
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2011 - 5:01 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

jethy, Ibuprofen also helps me, in fact for 30 years when I was in intense pain it was the only thing that really helped. I didn't know why at the time, but now realize it's because FGA was the cause of the pain and it mitigated the reaction. I have been virtually pain free for the past 4 years since going on a no-FGA diet. You said you thought it "sounds very hard to do", well it 'was' hard in the beginning, but sooooo worth it. This website has been a life saver for many, thanks Deb!
jethy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2011 - 11:13 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've just rung the takeaway where I got the pizza from that made me ill and they said they don't put msg in, so don't know what caused it now. I'll take an ibuprofen as Roy suggested if it happens again, but wish I could take it all the time Di. Great that it's worked for you, I will stick with the no msg diet and hope it works.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2011 - 11:49 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

jethy,

Most places haven't a clue that there are various forms of MSG in what they serve. Even those that do are often reluctant to disclose it. I remember one restaurant that swore they never added it to anything. When I got a reaction while driving back after the meal and had to pull the car over, I called and told them. They then asked "What did you have?" I don't have to tell you what they said next.
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, July 17, 2011 - 4:33 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

jethy, There are over 40 additives that contain MSG (or FGA) so unless there is a certain percentage (something 76%) it can be called something else. Most restaurant employees are not aware of this and swear there is no MSG...technically they are correct. Unless you educate yourself and do your own research, you will not know what it is in or not.
jethy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2011 - 3:25 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you both sooo much Di & Roy, I'm really grateful for all the advice you've given me, it's so nice to be able to 'chat' to someone that's had the same experience and offer me some advice. I'm never having pizza or similar again, it's put me off for life. I'm eating brown rice & chicken as I type, it's delicious!
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2011 - 4:32 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

jethy, just one more thing stress....like Deb said, the poultry needs to be additive free. In my area the poultry has been getting cleaner. I mean I'm finding less additives have been added now-a-days than in the past, so it's easier to find some to buy. They used to inject a "broth solution" which was basically MSG, so you even have to read the chicken/turkey labels. Anyway, glad you are trying out the diet and enjoying.
Kaye
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2011 - 8:54 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the ibuprofen bothers you, try washing the red coating off before you take it. You can buy dye free ibuprofen at Walgreen's.
evelyn
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2011 - 8:44 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Use ibuprofen only as needed. Can cause rebound headaches, like tylenol does. Many indian and greek selections (not gyros, or marinated meats) are FGA free if you get tired of eat "bland" food. I've come to really love the taste of raw and cooked veggies and plainer food, sans sauces and dressings. Stick with it - you'll feel the difference. Search on Taurine, CoQ10, Magnesium, and see what others here take for supplements. Many are helpful. If you are allergice to sulfa drugs, sulfur, sulfites - Taurine is a must.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2011 - 8:36 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was gone for a week to Oregon with my family and am catching up now. I have read all the posts directed to jethy, smiling the whole time. Do you guys have any idea how great you are?! You have given the best advice and support and I feel very blessed knowing you are here when I can't be. Thank you.... everyone.
Zoomer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2011 - 12:45 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I have lunch with MSG I will get a reaction 45 min to three hours later. It comes as sledgehammer of brain fog. I get incredibly tired and almost can't stay awake. After 15 to 60 minutes it goes away but then I feel like I have a severe hangover. My IQ goes down to 90, I have problems forming grammatically correct sentences and can't even follow the plot in a simple TV-series. That gradually goes away but the MSG makes it very hard to fall asleep. If I fall asleep, I wake up at 4AM with high pulse, sweating with very high body temperature, and breathing very fast. Needless to say, the next day I feel like a zombie with a hangover and can't function at all.

The only prevention is high dose Q10 with breakfast and magnesium/taurine + NAC with lunch.

If I have already been exposed, a mega dose of magnesium at bedtime can work as a sleeping aid.
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2011 - 8:21 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Zoomer, I'm curious, does ibuprofen help you at all if you've been exposed?
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 7:42 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I heard from Jack Samuels concerning N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) and he thinks it is too much like cysteine. Can you educate us more about this supplement and your feelings, Zoomer? Do you take it with the magnesium and taurine every day?
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 06, 2011 - 9:10 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm adding to this thread very late, but found it again through a search for "pizza". My son's sensitivity is improving, but even at his most sensitive we did find one brand of pizza that worked for him-- Homerun Inn Classic. They have used the same recipe for decades, and they advertise that, which means they haven't added FGA.

Now with supplements and Namenda his sensitivity is lessening and he is off doing teen activities; I need to find a brand of delivered pizza without significant FGA, though I'm not optimistic. Is there anyone with less extreme sensitivities that has any suggestions of what to look into? Domino's was looking less awful than I expected until I saw their cheese :-(
Jaye
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 06, 2011 - 10:17 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I read the inputs above and I can say one thing. I'm trying Deb's diet at the moment and I don't have headache, my heart is not racing (despite high stress at work), I can focus better. I have known for years that MSG and I together is a big NO-NO! but I did not know it is hidden in a lot of foods. So, I took the radical turn and am trying to get "sober" (lol!). The harder for me is to convince my husband to help with the grocery/meals/diet to avoid all forms of free glutamate. He just does not have the reaction to it and can't relate too much. Boy, I wish all my family could follow the diet. I think it simply would be an investment in the health of our babies.
I'm sorry I can't suggest any delivery pizza brand. What I do is I buy the crust and make it at home. That way I avoid a LOT of additives as I put in it only what I want (lots of veggies and cheese, but no pepperoni or processed meat). I make our own bread at home (with breadmaker - 10 min. and the machine does the rest) using organic flour bought from a family who owns a mill and uses no pesticides in their fields. My breadmaker can also prepare the dough for pizza crust, but for now I have not used it due to time constraint. But my comment might not be what you need to have as information for the moment. I will keep an eye open.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 06, 2011 - 10:44 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The ingredients page for Homerun Inn Classic Cheese Pizza:

http://www.homeruninn.com/frozen-pizza/details?alias=classic-cheese
bobby
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 06, 2011 - 11:31 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

a good antidote to take after eating a suspected msg food is this,

natural calm magnesium, pure vitamin c powder and orange juice mixed together,

the mag and c will block and detoxify the msg,

but of course the idea is to not eat foods with msg,

wheat is naturally high in glutamate and gluten,

gluten destroys your intestinal villi,

the crazy thing is this,

the best pizzas crusts are those made with flours that contain high gluten,

how do i know this?

cause i use to work in a pizza shop.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 06, 2011 - 1:03 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

bobby, the only thing that has ever stopped my msg reactions is ibuprofen.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 06, 2011 - 6:02 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jaye, I know it's hard when one of you doesn't react to MSG like you do. I helped a young woman a few years ago whose husband was no support at all. He would see me and jokingly (sort of) give me a hard time for disrupting his meals and life. She actually made him a snack box that he kept in his part of the closet. Eventually, as she learned to cook more interesting foods, he and the kids became easier to please. Now when I see them, he tells me how he informs everyone about MSG. He also told me that certain aches and skin conditions he once thought normal for him, have disappeared. Just be patient and believe in yourself and your need right now to learn all you can to continue to take care of your health. ALL your family will benefit and thank you in the years ahead.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, October 07, 2011 - 1:24 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jayne. I had a very reluctant husband too. But he is none to fond of shopping and certainly not a fan of the kitchen. So as i do the cooking and shopping aside from his few staples he wouldnt go without (heinz beans and weetabix) he ate what i prepared. Ive created a monster. He has gone from couch potato to action man, thinks clearer than he has in years, now gets it totally as he just feels sooo much better. And he didnt think he was affected by his diet.He is now the first to read a label, refused any processed food (i spend a lot of time in the kitchen!!) and has just traded his beloved hienze beans and weetabix for the organic versions which have no nasties lurking in there. So dont give up, just make small changes slowly in what you feed him and im sure in time he will see such a dramatic improvement in his own well being you will have him on board. And if you dont want to spend or dont have hours to be in the kitchen, make enough for two meals everytime you cook and put one in the freezer. I do that and as it works, i cook properly one week and reheat the next. Good luck, stay stong and i hope you soon have your family on board. I started this mainly for my youngest child who was sensitive to everything. But the biggest bonus has been a massive improvement in my eldests grades in school and the middle ones behaviour has improved a hundred fold!!
Jaye
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, October 07, 2011 - 6:40 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb, this is exactly like you say: jokingly giving me a hard time. Pffff! Me and my natural things and it's all exagerated and everything is dramatic and I shouldn't be so fussy. Well, I will continue anyways because I find much more disruptive having to go to the emergency room in the middle of the night than changing food habits.
My husband has been battling irritable bowel syndrom for years and I have suggested that it might be the additives (which ones, I don't know) in the food that cause him the pain and diarrhea. He distractedly listened to what I said. The door might be open for more understanding and for changes. I think it would greatly benefit him as well and it would be nice for him to finally feel free from the syndrom. The hard part is to identify which additive(s) gives him a hard time. I don't think he is so ready to eat as I do now, but I might get surprised.
Jaye
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, October 07, 2011 - 7:02 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ali, I like at lot what you wrote. I will keep going and apply what you said. My time is pretty limited but I don't mind taking the time to cook. After all, if I don't cook, my husband will go to the grocery store and buy the easiest thing to make, which will certainly not be the healthiest. It bothers me a lot when I read the ingredients in the foods they eat. I know they are borrowing on their health for the future. Our daughter has anaphylaxis to a few foods. So it means her immune system is not functioning properly. So it means we need to be even more careful with what she eats, to give her a chance to maybe recover some day.
bobby
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, October 07, 2011 - 12:12 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I`ve been having good results with vitamin E lately for myoclonics,

I take 2,000 iu`s before bedtime,

I open the gelcaps and pour out the E into a spoon,

E helps protect the neurological system and is a good antioxidant.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, October 07, 2011 - 1:12 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bobby, perhaps there was an underlying deficiency.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12112220
AdaLovelace
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, October 07, 2011 - 10:22 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ali,
My husband is English, and he LOVES Heinz Baked Beans! I do too! I think we should come up with a recipe that tastes identical. Do you know of any?!

As for convincing your husband, of course I've run into the same dilemma. But I found the key. You have to do it for yourself first... and you can't verbally convince anyone to change. Then, they eventually will see your progress and see you as a beacon for change... a magnet that attracts them and makes them want what you have. It's the law of attraction!
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, October 08, 2011 - 2:05 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ada,
Heinz do an organic baked beans and my husband has finally succumbed to eating them. And would you believe he says they are better than the original. They certainly dont have a different flavour as such, just more flavour really and the beans melt in your mouth.They are just ten cents a tin more than the regular here in Ireland.

Jaye,

I suffered with I.B.S for years. So many doctors appointments and meds that made it worse and worse. I was just resigned to it. As soon as i stopped eating processed foods it disappeared, but returns wiht a vengence every time i eat something i shouldnt. I think wheat was a big cause for me. But i can eat organic wheat with no hassles at all. Im sure some additives and preservatives played a part, or msg, who knows. I just dont eat processed foods any more. Do you have a bread machine? I hadnt eaten white flour in years as it was an obvious component in my IBS. Now i make my own bread wiht organic flours i can eat white, brown, wholemeal, not a problem. I can even tolerate some conventional flour (cant always get organic!!) if i make the bread myself, though i would have to limit the amount i eat. Hope this helps...oh yeah and tomatoes...wow they dont agree with me. But i can eat organic tomatoes....so i think it was more the spraying and feeding of the conventional tomatoes that was the problem. Ive only recently been able to buy organic tomatoes. I tried them expecting disaster but im absolutely fine. If a recipe calls for tinned tomatoes (i cant eat organic tinned as they all have citric acid in) i pop whole tomatoes in boiling water for 50 seconds and then drain. The skins peel off. Then i just chop and bag them for the freezer and use instead of tinned. Works a treat. Tomatoes always caused me migraine and disturbed vision before. I only ever pop them in right at the end of cooking time for just a minute or so too.
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, October 08, 2011 - 6:23 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found a local brand of delivered pizza!! Falbo's brothers. They are pretty small. A friend has a child mildly sensitive to MSG who had never had a reaction there, so I called, and they were able to read me their whole list of ingredients. (Most places I have to stop when they get to their spice mix as it often comes from corporate, but theirs had an ingredient list printed on it).

It was kind of funny...me: "Wow, that sounds pretty good. What about your cheese?" "We use mozzerella..." (as if I'm crazy, it's cheese). Me: "Is it from a block? do you grate it yourself?" "uh, yeah..." (tone was, like how else would you "make" cheese? Apparently they haven't gone to the Domino's ingredient list)... the poor girl totally didn't get why I was sounding so excited :-)

I forgot to tell them not to sprinkle parmesan on, and my son had a mild reaction (I didn't give him ibuprofen because the point was to test it out). But I can have that left off and with ibuprofen he can safely eat the same pizza as the rest of the church class in his retreat. He's 14 and told me he was going to eat it anyway, so I didn't have much choice... Whew.
AdaLovelace
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, October 08, 2011 - 11:56 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just looked at the ingredients for the Heinz organic baked beans...

Beans*(52%), Tomatoes*(33%), Water, Sugar*, Cornflour, Salt, Spirit Vinegar*, Spices*, Onion Powder*

I'm too suspicious of the "spices." :-( I'm going to try to recreate these at home... If anyone has any ideas let me know.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, October 08, 2011 - 10:38 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would be wary of spices too Ada. I can only say that we have no reaction to them at all. I havent tried my youngest with them, mainly because she refuses them but ive not been able to eat tomatoes or heinz beans but do good with the organic ones. I was pleasantly surprised when i tried them last week for the first time. I had my first beans on toast yesterday (i missed beans on toast) and im up with the larks this morning, fresh as a daisy, no headache, no aching neck and shoulders and no rashes....happy days :-) If you do manage to make some that pass off as similar let me know the recipe. Id still prefer my beans didnt come out of a tin!! And as much as i had no reaction, i wont be eating them too often. Been down the road before where i had no reaction to something but then ate them a few days on the trot to end up with the mother of all headaches!!
AdaLovelace
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, October 09, 2011 - 6:03 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ali, if you are very sensitive, then I trust your body's reaction. I am not 100% in tune with my body yet, as I have only been truly abstaining from free glutamate for three months now! I have a lot left to learn.

I LOVE beans on toast! My husband introduced this to me. We don't eat beans for breakfast or beans on toast at all here in the states! Mmmmm!!
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, October 09, 2011 - 7:59 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jaye, My husband was similar to yours when we were first marriage. We had my food and his (processed) food. He thought my food tasted weird and he preferred his packaged foods he grew up on.

Slowly over the years he converted his diet closer to mine (once I learned how to be a better cook and dramatically widen our menu's).

Now he can't imagine eating anything processed. He never goes out to eat and does everything possible to not eat anywhere but home. He doesn't have a reaction like I do to processed foods, but because he has been away from it for so long he gets really sick.

He has also found overall he feels much better. He doesn't get migraines anymore, he sleeps better, he has more energy.

In the first few years of our marriage he saw a couple of really bad reactions I had to MSG with accidental exposures. Once, we both feared for my life and it was a very scary experience. Once he saw how intense my reaction was and the amount of pain I was in- he has been a huge supporter of the extremes I go in my diet to make sure I don't get a reaction.

I noticed you listed your daughter has food allergies. What is she allergic to? My 4 year old daughter is allergic to dairy, soy and eggs. She has an IgE allergy to dairy and an intolerance to soy and eggs.

We used to carry an epipen everywhere with us for her contact allergy reaction to dairy but her reaction is calming down and that isn't as much of a concern anymore. Sorry you are dealing with food allergies in kids too- it's challenging isn't it?
Jaye
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2011 - 11:18 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Emily, our daughter was diagnosed with anaphylaxis to peanut, tree nuts and sesame. She also has a moderate allergy to eggs. Yes at the beginning it was scary and it still is challenging to deal with it. But this is what we have to deal with. No choice there. A friend of mine told me that the other side of the medal is that, because of her allergies, she will have to eat better than most people and this will be to her advantage, despite the disadvantages. In a way, he is right. This is how I will present it to her as she grows. I am glad to hear your husband turned to better eating as well. Both of you get the 'rewards'. I hope mine will take the turn, for him and the kids. That would be so great! Me would be so happy!
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2011 - 7:15 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We recognize the benefit of eating healthy as a result of food allergies as well. I do let my daughter eat some cereals and some fruit snacks (foods I don't eat) but she LOVES fresh foods and turns her nose up to the handful of packaged foods she can eat.

We found a few kinds of candy she can safely eat but she doesn't like them, she'd rather have a fresh bagel from the oven or a fresh peach. For Halloween she is trick or treating, then when she comes home she gets to turn her bag of candy in for a present. She's pretty excited and doesn't feel like she's missing out on anything.

I've heard sesame can be really challenging. We avoided all tree nuts until our daughter turned 3 and passed the challenges. It sounds like you guys have a good system set up.

I'm sure your husband will see the benefits of healthy eating, just give him some time to adjust.
Jaye
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 11:54 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Emily. Sorry I did not get back earlier. I like your idea of trick or treating and offering the bag of candies for present. It's wonderful. That's something we certainly can do when the children are old enough. It makes them happy and makes someone else happy too (the one who received the candies bag.)
My daughter too does not like sweeties too much and I am so happy about that. She too much prefers a fresh fruit or corn chip. I don't know if this is because I never gave her sweeties and therefore she never developed that taste or if it is simply her natural preference, but I like that she is not attracted at all by cakes, cookies, chocolate. She will never ask for that.WAW!
I guess eating well is starting to make its way with my husband. The thing is if I prepare something he will eat it and won't complaint.
Well, it's not that easy, but we are trying.
On my side, with a very high level of stress in my life right now, I know and feel it: avoiding MSG is saving me FOR SURE and avoiding bad foods in general is helping me to cope.
To all of you on this website and Debbie and your family especially, I am so grateful for sharing your knowledge on MSG. I would have NEVER known what was making me so darn sick and miserable! I was thinking my life was pretty much almost over with my arrythmia firing at any moment. What was I gonna do with my kids? What were they gonna do without me if I had to go or when I was not able to take care of them because of arrythmia and hospital trips? Now I am here and I feel better. It may be that arrythmia is not cured and I may still encounter it, but so far so good. I take care not to provoke it. It's hard, food is limited to basic ingredients that I turn into food and meals, but that's the way to go. Hopefully,... Hopefully,
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 3:11 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jaye, Good for you. It's really nice to hear success stories and yours surely is one.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2011 - 12:05 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jaye, thats so good to hear you have some control over your arrythmia. I know the ingredients seem basic to make meals from at first. But given time you will get more inventive and meals will get better. In time you wont miss the convenience foods and wonder how you ever viewed them as food. As you begin to feel better and more able, it becomes such a way of life. It really does, and one you take pride in too. It is so worthwhile. We slowly noticed a catalogue of things that improved aside from the obvious things we were trying to improve (for us it was our youngest daughters insomnia and temper tantrums...).I still remember the day my middle daughter looked at me one day and i saw a clearness to her eyes and a lack of puffiness in her face. I didnt even know these things were wrong for her. Her nature improved considerably too...(we had just thought she was bolshy and headstrong) For me, just my general mood improved vastly and a great improvement in my IBS (now completely gone, unless I slip up),my neck and shoulders don't ache every morning like they used to. The general joint ache I had thought was the beginning of arthritis disappeared...the list is endless...it just goes on and on. My husband took longer to get on board, but like you, I did the cooking, so basically he had no choice but to eat well in the home. Now he wont even eat out and is just as careful as I am. He too can now tell if he has inadvertently been "poisoned"!! Its all good. It will get easier and just seeing the improvement in your arrythmia shows you you are on the right track. Well done for making such positive changes.
Jaye
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2011 - 6:38 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Ali. I feel proud. It's good to be healthy.
In our family, we were already eating 'well' (no fast food, reading the ingredients a bit in grocery stores, and generally avoiding 'bad' food). We were often buying organic food. But when I discovered the so many hidden names for manufacture-created ingredients and gave it a chance for health avoiding the 'hydrolyzed' things, 'fortified' whatever, 'natural flavor', 'carrageenan', etc etc, and began to see health changes. Unbelievable. But true! So far that I can, I'm gonna protect my children from these ingredients too. I take mandate for that.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2011 - 2:51 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good on you Jaye. I cant bear now to see the "food" fed to kids. It makes my blood boil!! Lots of tongue biting and keeping my mouth shut. But once the light bulb goes on and you see the health benefits its hard to see others unwittingly feeding their kids this stuff...especially aspartame laden drinks...eeeeuuw. My biggest battle is trying to get through to the school. THey like to give sweets and crisps as treats. Weve had a hyper, stroppy child returned to us on more than one occasion. So much so that she now keeps a box of treats at school that she can chose from when the others are having their treats! its not too detrimental with my middle child, but in a year our youngest will be in school and it just cant happen that she eats others foods. She suffers so badly when she is "poisoned". Its a minefield for sure.
Jaye
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2011 - 12:21 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh my! I know it's difficult! - My 3 yr old has not been a lot in daycare so far - only a couple of weeks. Last week, she started full time and the educators give them treats in the afternoon: ice cream, pop sicles of the worst quality because it does not contain common allergens like peanut, tree nuts, gluten, etc. You bet, it contains only modified and artificial stuff! In my mind, I struggled with letting them give their snacks to my daughter or allowing it not. On the one hand, I don't want my little one to feel she's pushed aside while the others 'enjoy', but on the other hand, I know it's only junk. I decided to let it go, because she's already having lunch at a table separate from the one where the other kids eat (because of her severe allergies). But at least, at home, I give her what I want.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2011 - 10:46 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know how you feel on that score Jaye. I let it go with my middle child at parties. She is five now and pretty good at sticking to what she knows. I do send home made bread to the parties and a few safe treats to be put on the table for everyone. She sticks to those for the most part. Though i can usually tell if she has succumbed!! haha. But for my youngest its going to be really difficult because she just cant have it. She would just be so ill and sleepless for a couple of days. My middle child often tells people she wont eat their food because its not safe...eeek!! But she can be quite determined not to eat it. It has caused me to cringe on more than one occasion as i dont want it to be seen that she is lacking manners and being rude.
Halloween is another tough one. But what i do is take the kids out a little earlier than the rest and fill their bags. They have all the fun of it but when they get home, they happily empty their bags into the sweets i have to give out and i fill their bags with the stuff i make or buy. Lays ready salted crisps are a safe bet and we have a company here that does natural sweets. I do see some reaction in my youngest even with those but so slight i can let it go for just that day. Its so hard to keep our little ones safe.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page