Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Tetanus Ingredients - how safe?

Battling the MSG Myth » "Help! I Have a Question" » Tetanus Ingredients - how safe? « Previous Next »

Melinda
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, August 09, 2009 - 11:35 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got a scrape on my hand which isn't too deep and a few other injuries (w/o broken skin) in a fall and the doc said I had to have a tetanus shot (dt). I got the list of ingredients and not sure how safe this is (for msg reactions). Of course the risk of getting tetanus or diptheria far outweigh having an msg reaction, so most likely I will get it just to be safe, however want to be prepared in case I may have a reaction. Anyone have any experiences with the dt shot (good or bad) or know much about these ingredients?

aluminum phosphate (as an adjuvant)
redidual formaldehyde
redisual glutaraldehyde (as a detoxifier of the antigens)
2-phenoxyethanol (not as a preservative)
Plus the antigens which are purified by ammonium sulfate.

The word sulfate is a red flag to me and maybe the glutaraldehyde (anything starting with 'gluta' always makes me suspicious). Not sure about phosphates but seem to recall someone saying they can cause reactions.

Thanks!
Jerry Story
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, August 10, 2009 - 12:47 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's really low, even for a doctor. Tell your doctor to go to h....
Jennifer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, August 16, 2009 - 9:38 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In May 2004 I had a tetanus shot....by July I was too sick to work. It's impossible to prove if it was a coincidence or not, though. I thought those shots also contain mercury.

BTW, I'm under the impression that an actual case of tetanus is treatable if detected early enough.

Jennifer
Melinda
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, August 18, 2009 - 10:05 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I never got the shot as the risk for getting tetanus based on the type of injury I sustained was pretty low.

I think it can be treated, however, I read that the sooner one shows symptoms, the more severe it can be and harder to treat. In any case, it is scary stuff...yet, so is the vaccine.
Lisa Marie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, August 18, 2009 - 11:31 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got the shot in May of 2005, after a scary foot injury involving rusted metal. I was surprised; I had no after effects whatsoever. But I did consider in my mind what to do. Being and Insulin Dependent Diabetic, I just decided to have it.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page