Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Tuna that is safe.

Battling the MSG Myth » "Help! I Have a Question" » Tuna that is safe. « Previous Next »

Anonymous

Posted From: 68.33.66.112
Posted on Tuesday, June 23, 2009 - 6:43 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone know of safe tuna? My grandmom who works at Whole Foods said that they are discontinuing their brand of tuna. I don't know if that's for all Whole Food stores, or just the one she works at. All other tuna brands are either A. too expensive or B. have phosphates.
Jerry Story
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 8:30 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you want to eat fish, maybe go for sardines, because they are low on the food chain. The higher you go on the food chain, the more concentrated the mercury and all that stuff. Someone says by a factor of ten each step up the food chain. So it would go like this: 10 - 100 - 1000 - 10000
Marnie B
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 9:52 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you have a Trader Joe's nearby, you could try the Trader Joe's Tongol Chunk Light no salt added Tuna. It's ingredients are tuna and water. I have had no problems with it. Hope this helps!
Marnie B
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 9:56 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Trader Joe's Tongol Chunk Light tuna is $1.39 for a 6.5 ounce can.
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 11:22 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I buy the Costco Kirkland Signature brand. Ingredients: white tuna, water, salt, pyrophosphate added.

I've been eating this brand for several years and have been fine. It's pretty cheap too.
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 12:12 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I ditto both Marnie and EmilyS, they are both good brands - I prefer the taste of Kirkland but I've read that Chunk Light Tuna is perhaps safer.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 5:40 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I go for sardines over tuna, also.

http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodSafety/Product-SpecificInformation/Seafood/FoodbornePathogensContaminants/Methylmercury/ucm115644.htm
Anonymous

Posted From: 68.33.66.112
Posted on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 5:49 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well the thing is I love fish and tuna is a cheap and easy meal. What I really love though is salmon
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 25, 2009 - 2:21 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Canned salmon can be a cheap and easy meal, also, and is the lowest in mercury.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 25, 2009 - 10:09 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I react to pyrophosphates and now prefer canned salmon to tuna in dishes and sandwiches.
Melinda
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 25, 2009 - 3:27 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I eat Crown Prince brand tuna and seem to have no problems with it. Though my doc is highly suggesting to avoid it since all tuna is high in mercury - or at least don't eat daily like I was. It is also best in jars because aluminum cans leach metals as well. I did a search and found both salmon and tuna in jars but it is very pricey!

If anyone is interested in brand names for the jars, one is http://www.kodiak-salmon.com/gallery2.htm

and the other is http://newdayfisheries.com/catalog.htm.
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 26, 2009 - 8:49 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I also eat Crown Prince brand tuna with no salt added. It tastes fabulous and you can order a case from Amazon (which is important for people like me with none in local stores). We try to limit tuna consumption to travel since it is easy to take on the road but we worry about mercury.
Faith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 13, 2009 - 8:38 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, I found one of the major brands tuna. It's their light tuna, and their tuna "fillets in olive oil" which are just not so shredded and in oil. They don't have anything except salt, water, tuna, in one and water, tuna, olive oil in the other. They only have that tuna from that brand at that one store. SO look even at the brands with msgs other tunas.
SistineKid
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 3:51 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Greetings all,
This is somewhat of a bump, but on topic. After checking all of the labels for all of the tuna brands in my local supermarket, I was excited to find two StarKist varieties (both in olive oil):
- StarKist Selects Solid Light Tuna in Extra Virgin Olive Oil (can)--ingredients: light tuna, extra virgin olive oil, salt. Contains: Fish
- StarKist Extra Virgin Olive Oil Yellowfin Tuna (pouch)--ingredients: yellowfin tuna, extra virgin olive oil. Contains: Fish

Neither have the dreaded "Contains: Soy" indicative of glutamate-rich broth or soy sauce. I think "olive oil" is only olive oil. Any experiences with that?

I'm optimistic that they will be "safe"...hope it helps!
SK
AdaLovelace
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2013 - 7:30 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi SK,
I've had luck with canned fish in either water or olive oil. I go for the wild caught variety over farmed. I just checked out StarKist's website and luckily they only offer wild. I think what you have will be safe. I try to limit myself on how many canned items I have per week as well as how much fish I consume out of concerns about aluminum, BPA, and mercury.

I recently read that the "FDA's tests found the average mercury level of canned albacore tuna to be at least 35 times higher than the level in canned salmon." I prefer the taste of salmon over tuna anyway, but I will eat tuna on occasion. Of course it's always better to buy fresh fish and cook it ourselves but sometimes it's nice to just eat something convenient. :-)

AdaLovelace
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2013 - 8:35 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Plus, both aluminum and mercury can radically increase a glutamate reaction, at least in my experience.

Let us know how it works for you, I'm curious!
evelyn
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 1:23 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I read recently that the chunk light as opposed to the white albacore, has less mercury. Will not to confirm.
AdaLovelace
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 8:20 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Evelyn--that's good to know. I just Googled it and came up with the same information.
sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2013 - 7:30 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

tongol tuna is supposed to have less mercury than albacore or yellowfin

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page