Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Red Jacket Orchards Apple Juice

Battling the MSG Myth » "Help! I Have a Question" » Red Jacket Orchards Apple Juice « Previous Next »

Anonymous

Posted From: 68.33.66.112
Posted on Tuesday, June 23, 2009 - 3:50 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been drinking this product for a little while, has anyone else tried it? I sent them an e-mail regarding if there are sulfates in the juice and received this reply:
Thank you for contacting us regarding your question on sulfates. We do use
sulfur based products in the orchards as they work well in our Integrated
Pest Management system and are organic materials. Regarding our freshly
pressed juices, no sulfates are used in these products. Hope this helps
answer your question.

I was just wondering if there could be cross contamination, since they do use sulfates in the orchard.
Jennifer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, June 23, 2009 - 11:06 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It sounds like they spray their orchards in a similar manner to vineyards - lots of sulfites, and I do my best to avoid all wine and grape products.

There is a big difference between sulfates and sulfites - and whoever responded to your email doesn't seem to know what it is.

Do you react to the apple juice? That's the best test -
Anon
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 5:59 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What is the difference?
Jennifer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 8:11 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sulfites are what I and many others here react to - because the body has difficulty turning them into sulfates. An enzyme called Sulfite Oxidase does this. It's required to metabolize sulfur containing amino acids too (like cysteine) into usable products, like taurine and glutathione. I don't know the exact chemistry, but the amino acid first ends up with a sulfite (toxic) and then is converted into the usable sulfate version.

Sulfites also make wonderful preservatives, in fact they're so good that it's illegal to add them to meat (shellfish being the exception) because the meat can be quite rancid but look fresh. They're used to prevent mold on grape crops, and in a lot of processed foods where browning is a problem (potatoes, coconut, lemon/grape juice).

I doubt whoever answered your question wasn't doing their best to give an honest answer, but if you get terminology wrong on a sensitive issue, then you can get a 100% honest and correct answer that doesn't help you at all. Kind of like how food companies can say that their hydrolyzed food products do not contain "MSG". The correct question is to ask about free glutamates or glutamic acid content.

Jennifer
Jennifer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 8:20 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now that I've had a chance to think about it, I suppose the "correct" question to ask about sulfites would be something like this:

"Thank you for your response. Since you do spray your crops with sulfites, what steps have you taken to insure that there is no residual contamination in your products? Have you actually tested your products to make sure the sulfite content is below the FDA limit of 9 ppm? Do you have any information on the actual sulfite content of your products in parts per million [or billion, I don't remember]? Thank you....."

Jennifer

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page