Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Need a little reassurance....

Battling the MSG Myth » "Help! I Have a Question" » Need a little reassurance.... « Previous Next »

kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, May 15, 2009 - 11:17 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I still have reactions every day (some milder than others but always reactions). I am very careful with my diet so is it realistic to think that there is any way to get reaction-free? Am I still healing even if I never get completely reaction-free since the only glutamates that I could possibly be getting would be the natural amounts in fresh food? I don't even use canned or frozen veggies, but do use conventional since the organic selection in my area is minute. My health has improved dramatically and I feel better by miles but it has been 5.5 months and I still can't seem to tolerate much of anything. I guess what I am wondering is if this is pretty normal for people who were deathly ill when they started (and I believe I was dying) or do I have some unresolved health issue that needs to be treated (heaven-forbid) by a medical professional before I can heal completely. Don't get me wrong, I am perfectly willing to live with this super-limited diet for as long as it takes to get well, but I have read so much about leaky gut and other conditions that I don't want to miss an opportunity to help myself just because I don't trust the medical profession (or food manufacturers or the FDA or water treatment facilities or the USDA or Congress or Big Pharma or Wall Street or our brand new Secretary of Agriculture or....you get the picture). Most of the posts about leaky gut are older so I can't really tell if that is treatable - my former doctor suggested that I may have it but was very vague about it and I got the impression that he was unfamiliar with it.
Melinda
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, May 16, 2009 - 7:56 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kristy, Leaky gut is treatable but it takes time. You could get an intestinal permeability test to determine if you have it (not sure how reliable those tests are though - I did not get one and am basing my having it on my symptoms and health history as to the cause). But with msg sensitives, we can't take the L-Glutamine....but there are others things we can do to help it heal.

I've written about this before but will say again for ease in remembering - I am doing Chinese Herbs and I can tell they are helping me with my digestion just a tad thus far....but they are very slow acting - been on them for about a month now and it will take time. Also I am doing Oregon Grape Root tincture - great for alot of things but digestion is one of them. I am taking DGL and also ALOE. And lastly I just started drinking Sir Jason Winters tea...it is great for alot of things including digestion but purifies the blood and helps the immune system which is what helps our bodies to heal themselves if our blood is pure and our immunity is strong. You can google it to read more but I highly recommend it!

Have you ever tried homeopathy? I am doing the Unda Drainage Homeopathy...with homeopathy, it allows the body to heal itself and many report fabulous results for many things. I just started it a little over a week ago.

Have you looked into Candida as to whether you have that? I did a stool test but it came up negative, but they are not 100% reliable. I also did a blood test for it and will get results on tuesday. I have all the symptoms and that too can cause one to become sensitive to alot of things.

If your doctor, whom I presume is a regular medical doctor (Western Medicine), doesn't seem to know much about Leaky Gut or how to help you, maybe you could look into seeing a Naturopathic Doctor or a Chinese Herbalist/Acupuncturist or even an Ayurvedic Doctor.

I really feel if the leaky gut heals, one would not be so dang sensitive to all foods like I am as well as you are too.

I know it can be frustrating but stay strong and have faith and keep trying to find what will work for you as I do believe in the body's ability to heal itself...but we have to help it along too. :-)
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 18, 2009 - 10:16 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kristy, I felt great improvement within days of avoiding MSG and aspartame, but it was a year before I felt more like my former self. When one has been as severely ill for as long as you and I have, it makes sense that it takes a bit longer to rid our bodies of all the stores of excess free glutamate. In addition, many here report that they went through a kind of withdrawal period before they got a lot better. I did that, too. You are still on a learning curve, and will occasionally eat something that will give you problems. We all still do now and then, but you will become more in tune with your body and be able to better detect the culprit with more time and experience. Hang in there!
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 18, 2009 - 7:38 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all, thanks for the encouragement. Some days it seems so bleak but others it is looking pretty good. Today was my daughter's birthday and I was able to make her a homemade sausage pizza (rave reviews!) and lemon cake from Deb's book (her request). Everything turned out so well and I got everything done in time and I am not even hurting tonight (much). She didn't feel the least bit deprived and had her first birthday in years with no bad reactions. Life is good.
sarab
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 25, 2009 - 3:09 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kristy, Keeping up with your posts. Yeah! on your daughters bday! I'm so excited for you that things went well!!! That's a blessing. I am glad you are not hurting much. Are you on facebook? I'm trying to figure out a way that we can connect...we sound similar in our trials and I know it would help me to have someone to compare notes with once in a while. One of my emails is smb1203@yahoo.com...
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, June 01, 2009 - 9:43 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kristy, it was so wonderful to read your post about your daughter's birthday. Big smile.
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 03, 2009 - 10:40 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great news to read about your daughter's birthday. I'm so glad it went well!
cathy218
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, June 08, 2009 - 6:59 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Melinda, Which stool and blood test did you do for Candida? In my prick test for allergies foud I am "allergic to Candida". Yikes!

What are you doing to treat ur yeast?

I am on Nystatin and when I stop it after a month...the white tongue comes back....HAVE NO HELP w/ the med. community and am wondering what type of doc treats an allergy to yeast??? Anyone know?

THXS
Melinda
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 3:43 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Cathy, I had my stool test done through Genova Labs ordered by my ND. Then I also had another one done via blood test. Both came back negative. Hard to believe I don't have candida and not sure how accurate the tests are, but I am not currently doing anything specific for candida. However that said, I have used a couple of different products that I think work real well for those with Candida - they are natural and easy on the system. First one is called Three-Lac (google will pull up several sellers), second one is called Syclovir. You can get Syclovir at http://www.greenwillowtree.com/-strse-Candida-fdsh-Yeast-fdsh-CFS/Categories.bok

You will want to also take a good quality pro-biotic when you are killing the yeast too.

Do you have a Naturopathic Doctor in your area? They would in my opinion be the best bet for helping you figure out what is best for candida.

Let me know what you decide to do and how it goes!
Nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, June 14, 2009 - 6:10 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you have Candida, this web site has a lot of valuable information. http://www.wholeapproach.com
cathy218
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, June 14, 2009 - 8:55 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your time ladies.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page