Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Milk for making yogurt?

Battling the MSG Myth » "Help! I Have a Question" » Milk for making yogurt? « Previous Next »

kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 2:56 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I hope someone can help me. I am still having problems constantly no matter what I try to add to my diet of brown rice. This is the fifth month and every time I think I have found something that I can tolerate it causes me problems. I have very limited selection for fresh veggies and even most of them don't work for me. I can't find whole milk yogurt and I have looked everywhere (even Whole Foods has no whole milk plain yogurt). I decided to try to make my own but now I realize that I can't find plain whole milk here at any of the stores. The only organic I have in a 100 mile radius is Horizon and it has D3 added. Even all the non-organic are "enriched". Since I am so sensitive do you think that yogurt made with this milk will be acceptable(I have ordered a starter with no additives to use)? I am really at a loss and don't know what else to do-just hoping probiotics in the yogurt will help even if I have small reactions from dairy. I am really nervous about the enriched thing because one of my worst reactions came immediately after eating something with enriched rice milk - it was a case of mistaken identity and it took a while for me to figure out one of my boxes was enriched instead of classic (really wish the packages were more different).

Another question....when you have reactions no matter what you eat is it realistic to think that there is any way to get reaction-free? Am I still healing even if I never get completely reaction-free since the only glutamates that I could possibly be getting would be the natural amounts in fresh food? After all, I am only eating brown rice and veggies and a little meat with no additivies - I just seem to react to those staples.
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 7:39 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kristy,

I stay away from enriched rice milk- I would have a reaction from it if I tried it. I also stay away from any products that are enriched, but I can drink regular enriched cow's milk with zero issues.

I use Plain Brown Cow yogurt as my starter when I make yogurt and don't have any issues. My sensitivity isn't as strong as yours so I don't know if this helps.

Hang in there!
Melinda
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 8:29 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kristy,

I don't have any milk suggestions for your yogurt but wanted to throw out a few other suggestions. Have you ever looked into NAET? It works wonders for some people and some it doesn't do much, but both cathy and I are doing it and have had some success with some things...it can be a lengthy process though and patience is needed before one gives up on it. With NAET you can be treated for anything and everything - they will test you via kinesiology muscle testing to see what you react to first. I was treated for chemical sensitivities a few years back but it didn't work and I gave up on it. Then recently changed practitioners and he did a few different NAET treatments to help with that which the other practitioner did not do and I am now able to tolerate most chemicals (synthetic fragrances)which is a miracle to me - still avoid them though as best I can. He also recently treated me for glutamates and gelatin so I can take supplements but I have not been brave enough to experiment to see if it worked yet.

Have you tried Homeopathy? I am just now starting with it to help heal my digestive system and eczema and have heard alot of really great things about it. I don't know if it can "cure" msg sensitivities per se, but if one's digestive system is healed and immune system strengthened then the body can tolerate much more and process things better, etc.

If you want to try a few other things to add to your diet, I have a suggestion. Do you react to pumpkin? If not do you have access to canned organic pumpkin? My diet is much like yours....brown rice (rice cakes or brown rice flour only)and veggies (only a select few). I eat organic eggs and tuna for my protein but just recently stopped the eggs as an experiment. Then I also make pumpkin muffins and have no problems with them. If you want the recipe for the muffins which is made with a very simple recipe of pumpkin, brown rice flour, egg, and ghee mostly, let me know and I'll post it here.
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, May 15, 2009 - 10:46 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi. I thought I would post an update to the yogurt issue here. I finally found whole milk but didn't notice until I got home that it was ultra-pasteurized (tiny little letters at the bottom of the package). I decided to try to make yogurt anyway since I got my starter in the mail (customprobiotics.com) and I couldn't wait. By the way, I have been watching that store for 5 months trying to get whole plain yogurt and they finally had it - the same day that I received my starter in the mail, so I bought that, too.

Anyway....I did make yogurt and it was easy and delicious! I made it in quart Mason jars in a water bath and used my timer with temp. probe to watch the temp and used my heating pad and a zipper closure food travel bag (foil lined cloth and the zipper allowed it to be closed but still allow the heating pad cord to exit the bag). It was really easy since I didn't have to wash any extra pots or make a double boiler or worry about burning the milk and it stores in the same jar it was cooked in. The heating pad kept it a steady 95 degrees (I just zipped the probe in with the yogurt jars so I could monitor it without disturbing the yogurt). I followed the cooking directions here: http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/2009/04/13/monday-mission-homemade-yogurt-the-easy-way/
It was the creamiest, mildest, sweetest yogurt I have ever tasted. It was not as thick or gelatinous as store bought yogurt but I read that you could keep the milk at 185 degrees for longer(I didn't heat my milk to 185 since it was ultra-pasteurized) and ferment it longer for thicker - and of course you can drain it to thicken it - but, hey, it was our first time so we were just glad it made yogurt. I have never been a big fan of yogurt and couldn't eat the Dannon plain without lots of sugar added but we liked our homemade even without sugar.
We really loved it but I was super cautious about eating very much of it since it was ultra-pasteurized milk but I can't wait to try it again with plain pasteurized milk (if I can find any).
Now that I don't have so much pain all the time it was good to find another use for the ubiquitous heating pad. I mean, who on this message board doesn't own one? And you probably searched high and low for one that will not automatically turn off after 1 or 2 hours - don't you just hate that "feature"?!

Melinda, I guess I am not desperate enough to go to any kind of doctor yet. I have had such bad experiences with medicine of every kind that I hesitate to consider "professional" intervention as a possible solution. I am happy that you have found something that works for you. I don't have any interest in pursuing NAET right now, but I surely won't be ruling it out as a possibility if I don't improve. Thanks for the info.
Anonymous

Posted From: 71.227.221.168
Posted on Saturday, May 16, 2009 - 7:38 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I need help with trying to find out if mannitol contains any msg? Thanks!
Jennifer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 10:58 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have no idea if mannitol has glutamate. But I believe it's an alcohol sugar, which doesn't occur in natural foods in large quantities. Therefore, it's probably a highly processed item. And the most common sources for processed stuff like that are corn, soy and wheat. All high in glutamate.

So - if you're still detoxing, I'd avoid it like the plague. Otherwise it might be OK occasionally, but I doubt it's actually good for you.

Jennifer
Anonymous

Posted From: 71.227.221.168
Posted on Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 9:06 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Jennifer, I have been fighting a headache and I have B-12 tablet I just started taking and I thought it was ok. But it looks like it's not, so thanks for the help!
jjmartin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 18, 2009 - 3:19 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mannitol and any of the "tols" give me a fierce headache. They are alcohol sugars as Jennifer said. I and many others use stevia with great success as long as it doesn't have additives. The one I use is called Stevia Plus from Wisdom of the Ancients and it is blended with inulin fiber which seems to be alright for me at least. Some of the blends contain one of the "tols" or dextrose which I can't understand because the stevia is fine on its own. In fact you can buy it without anything added but it is just so sweet you can only use such a tiny amount that it makes it hard to work with.
jjmartin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 18, 2009 - 3:27 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kristy I have suffered much of what you are going through and I tried NAET and many other things for almost 10 years with weekly headaches as a fact of life. Recently I began taking a quarter cup of whole flax seeds daily. It has helped me more than any other thing I tried. I don't know if the flax absorbs toxins or keeps the digestive track (leaky gut) sealed, or keeps the food moving quickly through the digestive track or what but the results are near miraculous for me.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 18, 2009 - 10:08 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How do you take the whole flax seed, jjmartin? and Kristy, I'm so glad you had success with the yogurt! You are getting a real handle on how to eat.
jjmartin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 18, 2009 - 1:01 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I put it in a glass and add my green smoothie or milk and just eat it with a spoon kind of like cereal. It actually should be ground to get the most benefit from the omega 3 and lignans but it seems to work best for me if I eat it whole. It would be best to start with a couple of tablespoons and work up a bit.
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 18, 2009 - 7:38 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You probably know this, but I thought I would mention flax contains phytoestrogen like soy so everyone should be aware of that when deciding how much to eat. I was just reading about that the other day when looking up using flax as a binder. http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2009/03/flax-seed-and-oil-phytoestrogens-phytic-acid-and-pregnancy-risks.html
I have used Konsyl (psyllium) for years and it seems to help me the same way that flax is helping you. I hated taking it in the beginning but now I don't even notice it. I don't know why it never occurred to me to use psyllium as a binder, huh?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page