Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Tomatillos? I want to make Pork Chil...

Battling the MSG Myth » "Help! I Have a Question" » Tomatillos? I want to make Pork Chile Verde from Deb's book... « Previous Next »

kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 24, 2009 - 12:18 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am hoping someone can help me. I found all the ingredients for Deb's Pork Chile Verde around here and was wondering about tomatillos. Are they high in natural glutamates like tomatoes? I'm nervous about making something roasted but I really want something special for my birthday dinner (Sunday). I plan to make pinto beans and tortillas to go with it. Wish me luck.
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 24, 2009 - 6:36 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have searched and searched for the glutamate level for tomatillos and can't find it. Hopefully someone else can let us know. I've been using them more lately instead of tomatoes and haven't had any problems.

If you are concerned about roasting, you can boil tomatillos for 4-5 minutes instead. Good luck!

Emily
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 24, 2009 - 7:18 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kristy, I grow tomatillos in our garden and freeze them...use them all year without a problem. Be careful not to buy pork that is tenderized like most Hormel pork. I have made the recipe with chicken and it's good, too. Happy Birthday!
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 24, 2009 - 11:40 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Deb,

Would canned tomatillos be a better option than canned tomatoes?

I'm growing a lot of tomatillos in hopes to can them this year. I also want to freeze some but would like some that are shelf stable as well.

I have fallen in love with fresh green salsa made with tomatillos along with a green sauce to serve over Mexican food.
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 24, 2009 - 10:09 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb, Thanks for the suggestion about chicken. I went to the butcher today and he was completely out of pork so chicken it is...I made dried pinto beans today for refried beans. I may end up regretting all this, but I have to take the chance. I bought organic green onions today since I think the organic onions I have been using(Earthbound Farms) are bothering me. I hate to give up onions altogether so I hope this works.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page