Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Outgrown?

Battling the MSG Myth » "Help! I Have a Question" » Outgrown? « Previous Next »

x82nd
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 12:34 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been MSG sensitive for most of my life but the last 5 years have been the worst of it. I have cut my diet back to only organics and kept a close watch on every ingredient list. About a year ago I started taking two benadryl every night along with b6, b12, and magnesium. I found I didn't have to be as careful with things... I could have an occasional treat or eat out without paying for it with a mind splitting headache that evening or next day.

This has worked out fine until the last month when I have noticed (due to my wife's love of fast food) that I haven't had any headaches for weeks. This lead me to be more and more daring with my diet even trying the very worst thing for us... Taco Bell! Low and behold... no headache at all. A meal at TB should have left me in a dark room wanting death but nothing. My question is this... Have you known anyone that has "grown out" of this allergy? I am back to watching what I eat pretty closely not wanting to play Icarus and fly to close to the sun with my new wings but I am excited. Anyone know why this might be happening?

Thanks!!
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 07, 2009 - 7:40 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In my experience, I have found that the longer Iíve stayed away from free glutamate the better my body does and the less hypersensitive Iíve become. At first I reacted to everything, but once I cleared my system over the course of years, I donít have to be quite as strict with my diet.

However, if I start to become a little lazy with my diet and cheat a little (eat regular plain nuts instead of organic plain nuts, etc.), then I go back to my usual reactions after time. For me itís a cumulative effect. Eating a small amount of dextrose wonít send me into a spiral of intense pain, but if I start eating dextrose a few times a week, then it seems to build and I get a reaction.

I personally avoid everything (even though I know one little thing wonít hurt), then my body is in its best shape to process a small amount of free glutamate if I accidentally eat some.

The only person I know that has outgrown reactions to free glutamate is my hypochondriac cousin that developed similar symptoms as me the same month I started to react. A few months later, her symptoms were cured and the rest of my relatives wonder why I never outgrew my reactions. ;)

My guess for you is that you are less sensitive now like many people experience after being away from it so long. But if you fly too close to the sun, you might get burned.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 4:07 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

x82nd and EmilyS,

My experience is exactly like Emily's. She said it very well. Also, my understanding is that people aren't allergic, but sensitive to it.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page