Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

L-Glutamine?

Battling the MSG Myth » "Help! I Have a Question" » L-Glutamine? « Previous Next »

sara b
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, April 11, 2009 - 8:22 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone know the connection that L-Glutamine has to leaky gut? A couple of searches on leaky gut have indicated that L-Glutamine supplementation is necessary to "heal" leaky gut, but it also seems it may not be a good supplement for msg sensitive folks. Also, any info on "healing" leaky gut would be helpful. I have been trying to search this out on this board, but have been trying to piece things together. Any info anyone has on "healing" leaky gut would be welcome. I will continue to search this out on the board and I have also been searching other boards for multiple food sensitivities and leaky gut info. Basically, I am a mess due to years of msg and NSAID use, but need to tackle this on my own due to financial constraints. I think it's empowering to be in control of my own health. I have already run across challenges when I take a health professionals advice and don't listen to my own body and/or knowledge that I have of myself. I will let you know if I find anything outside this board.

I am having trouble with the board...and get kicked off a lot...so I apologize if I don't respond or If I'm not on a lot.
Melinda
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, April 11, 2009 - 5:10 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sara, you and I are in same boat with that....I have been trying to figure out how to heal my leaky gut without taking L-Glutamine. I haven't tried to take it, but have heard it's a caution for msg sensitives - where I've seen that info I don't recall, maybe here, but I just don't want to chance experimenting with it since I am highly sensitive.

Here is a site I just came across which has some useful info. I've read that zinc picolinate is helpful as well as Vitamin A (not beta carotene per a book I have - don't know why). This site suggests zinc, enzymes, probiotics, oats and oatmeal. Scroll down to the part that says, "Fixing the Holes in the Boat". http://www.enzymestuff.com/conditionleakygut.htm

Enzymes are a caution however as many with msg sensitivities can not take them - especially if they have protease in them. Maybe something like Bromelain or Papain would be better but haven't done any experimenting with that and haven't found one that doesn't have something else in it that I'd possibly react to, but have not searched extensively yet. Not sure about the oatmeal...if you are gluten sensitive, you'd not want to do that one.

Currently this is what I am doing: Acupuncture and Chinese Herbs to help heal my gut and digestion, but just started with that. I am also taking Aloe by George’s - can be found in a google search…..it is a clear non-flavor liquid form and nothing else added. I am also taking Mangosteen which is good for many things, digestion included. And I am taking DGL in powder form - I have not found the powder form anywhere other than my ND who buys it in bulk from a wholesaler, but there are some chewable tablets you may be able to take (be careful of Chicory Root which is in some of them out there - it has free glutamate). However, I was taking a liquid extract of Licorice by Gaia Herbs before I got the powder and that may be your best bet if you can’t find the powder form.

And here is one other site I just came across and skimmed through that may be helpful.
http://www.rainbowminerals.net/Leaky_gut.htm

I’d be careful about taking FOS as suggested in this site as I found most FOS derives from Chicory Root and as mentioned above it has free glutamate in it. Other than that it says zinc ascorbate while I mentioned above zinc picolinate - I am not sure which is better - I got the zinc picolinate sugggestion from a book I have called “why stomach acid is good for you”.

I’ll add any additional info I come across or if I start to see improvements, will add updates as well. Hope all this info helps :-)
sara b
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 12, 2009 - 6:26 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OMG Melinda, thank you so much. I definitely have a problem with chicory root, so thanks for the FOS info. I have problems with mushrooms and many chinese herbs have mushrooms. Which ones are you taking? I had just been on the 1st link you mentioned...too funny. and I also looked at rainbowminerals, but was wary of a site that had info and sold a product. Wasn't sure. I also heard that colloidal silver was good. Any experience or info on that? I will keep reading through your post a few times to digest the info. At least I can digest something...LOL
Melinda
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 12, 2009 - 3:03 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You're welcome sara :-) I too have problems with mushrooms and had asked my acupuncturist if he knew if there were any in the formula to which he said no. He gave me a formula to take a while back that was to help with digestion but I can't remember the name of it. At that time I was having alot of reactions to things and was too scared to try it and I stopped seeing him due to cost then too.

I am now back to seeing him and we are addressing my eczema at this time since it is unbearable, although it is digestion related, so the formula I am taking now is for that - it's called Xiao Feng San and is sapposed to help quell the itching and "heat" condition.

I have not ever tried Colloidal Silver - I bought a topical homeopathic tincture recently with silver in it to help my ezcema and it did nothing for me unfortunately. But to ingest it may be a different matter and I've heard good things about it. Let me know if you decide to try that and how it goes.
Melinda
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 12, 2009 - 3:06 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oh and by the way....those two links I provided were sites I had just stumbled across in my searching for leaky gut info - I didn't take the time to thoroughly peruse the sites nor know how reputable they are. But they both did have some good general leaky gut info I thought was useful to read. If you come across any additional info, do share as well :-)
cathy218
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 13, 2009 - 11:02 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Melinda and SAra, I am right there with you all. Some digestion tests showed I was not properly digesting and absorbing thus malnutrition and maldigestion. Doc uggested HCL and enzymes. I react to Protease so I take Gamma Zyme from R Garden in Kettle Falls Wa. Do not react to those. I am eager to hear what works for you all.

I too have bad skin related to this condition. I have never had bad skin. My minerals and vitamins were deficient as well.

Do you all have sore muscles or joint issues due to this condition? That is my main problem....inflammation in muscles joints and sinus area and dizziness from tight muscles in neck. I just started a large dose of Nystatin thinking that this whole thing started from years of antibiotics (causing Candida/yeast...I never knew to take probiotics), NSAIDS (for endometriosis pain), then had lots of acid so took TOOONS of acid reducers which killed all the acid in my belly.

Aloe and DGL were perscribed as well. Thinking about Ketotifen from Clarks Pharmacy 800-480-3432

Docs do not understand sensitivities...I even react to Magnesium Citrate and other forms of citric acid and waaaaaaaaaay more. They just perscribe things which frankly, have made me worse.

Am taking a probiotic called Ultra Flora IB, I think.

We'll get there! Please keep posting...I need hope somedays.
Melinda
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 6:51 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cathy, yes to your question about sore muscles and joint issues - have fibromyalgia....but of course fibro is really a "catch-all" term and not an illness in and of itself - it is a symptom and can be caused by many different things from something as simple as gluten intolerance to much bigger or a combo of issues.

I feel my issues all stem from improper digestion as that was my first "symptom" way back when. I too had to take tons of anti-biotics growing up and was never told to also take a pro-biotic with them, therefore candida and leaky gut ensued. And it's so frustrating that all these natural supplements that are proposed to help with this or that, one who is msg sensitive can not take the majority of them.

I just had blood drawn for Lymes and all the co-infections it can carry as well - my sister was diagnosed with it and we have similar health issues. It will take a month to get the results but could be a large part of my problems. It is extremely expensive to get tested for it, but I need to know what is going on - most likely there are several things going on that need to be addressed, and my ND says herbs may be the way for me to go with all my sensitivities.

So, I'll see what she prescribes and as I begin to heal - notice the positive statement there? I do have hope ;) - I will update on what I found works for me and my system as all of this I believe is interconnected with all that is going on health-wise.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 9:14 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just found an article about glutamine as a supplement. Dr. Mercola ran an e article that quoted some supplement producer as saying that it did not convert into glutamate in the body. Then he got a response from Dr. Blaylock, who contradicted that...saying that the body CAN convert it into glutamate. I'm at work right now, so can't quote it exactly.
Melinda
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, April 18, 2009 - 1:14 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cathy, I am curious about that Gamma Zyme you mentioned. Quote: "I react to Protease so I take Gamma Zyme from R Garden in Kettle Falls Wa. Do not react to those"

I looked it up and it does look like something I can take and know I need some help with enzymes in digesting my foods, however, if there is no protease in it, then how do you digest the proteins?

I know that I don't digest proteins well as indicated in a stool test I had done recently. Are you seeing an ND that prescribed the enzymes for you and if so, did they suggest anything for you to help digest protein?
cathy218
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 3:59 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

R: Enzymes, NAET, Candida, Leaky Gut, Nystatin

Good question. I also do not digest protein...as seen in tests. The docs are oblivious and say to take a enzymes with Protease...but I react. The Gama Zyme has no protease and I take HCL w/ pepsin to help break down the proteins. I am positive I had candida or some yeast called arabinose (as detected in the Genova NutraEval test) and that caused Leaky Gut and sensitivities and inflammation. My reactions (throats closing, eye blurring, hives, pin prick feelings...bla, bla, bla) are better w/ only inflammation remaining. The inflammation happens in my neck and shoulders and sinus area. Neck pops and cracks and back is really tight.

Here is what I am doing now...I went for NAET and they had to treat sugar twice...I think I reacted so badly to that because of the yeast in my body. When I leave the inflammation is GONE. And then when I ingest something it returns. The inflammation and sinus stuffiness and cloudiness/lightheadedness. So Monday I went and when I left NAET in Richland, WA my inflammation was GONE and then I ate a few things and the infl. stayed away and woke up for the first time in a year with no inflamm. Yipee! The inflammation is SEVERE. So something I ate made it return...perhaps coffee as I know that is a no no. But I diet consists of ten things and due to leaky gut I am malnurished meaning the vitamins and minerals are not absorbing... SO gonna take a few more NAET treatments...try to discern what foods and vits are safe. I think I will continue the Nystatin for the yeast and maybe even try Candex and then when the yeast is gone...I can heal the leaky gut...thinking dgl, aloe, (I react to glutamine)...maybe white fish protein, Seacure...and fish oil, not sure what else. THEN I will take probiotic again. I will continue Dandelion Root tea to keep the liver working good. Maybe after the candida is gone...I can try a enzyme with protease.

What are others doing whom are not breaking down food as we are? Enzymes with protease???

We will kick this Leaky Gut's hind end. Getting there. Hang in there and email me if you want and we can work thru this together. cathy218@charter dot net
Melinda
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 5:11 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the response and info Cathy! So, you are able to tolerate the HCL then? I can't take it....I too see an NAET practitioner and he said I could take it - tested positive - I took one that night and got cramping in my intestines right away and felt like I was having a reaction so I stopped taking it. You may have seen my posts on HCL and how I found out it derives from beets which are high in glutamates. I was cleared for glutamates thru NAET too but still seem to react to some things, albeit I think less severely.

Would love to share with you what works and doesn't etc. in tackling this leaky gut via email...I'll send one off to you soon :-)
cathy218
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 5:27 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yes do email. WHO KNOWS....what I am reacting to. I had two treatments (calcium and sugar) Monday and had salmon and brown rice...was fine. Then had oatmeal...Bob's Red Mill quick cooking. And woke up with no inflammation. Then had coffee and eggs....was ok...didan't eat lunch and just had coffee again (I know, I know bad....) and Ruffles chips and got inflammation. So not sure what my trigger was. And more inflammation as the day goes on. I go back tomorrow for grains treatment.

Last week I had Magnesium and Vit. C. And afterward...the inflammation was gone then to but returned when I had to drink distilled water....grrrrrrr.

So you had glutamates treated? HOW? Do tell? Just treated with the MSG in the preservatives vial?

Do you have a yeast issue as well?

Oh yeah, I ordered Ketotifen from Clark's Pharmacy in Wa State and once the yeast is cleared up...I will take the Ketotifen which is supossed to help heal LG. Candida and yeast suck...and are mean. ;-)~
cathy218
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 5:32 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

RE: Request for ideas if not digesting food leading to malnutrician (sp?) I am deficient in most minerals and vitamins because I am not digesting food!

Melinda, no, I didn't see the hcl post.....how are we supossed to break down food if we have no acid in our bellies and no enzymes....mine were killed off I suspect when all this started....I had alot of acid, I thought. But turns out...that feeling of burning is a need for more acid. Docs gave me MEGA doses of omeperazole and that killed all the acid....I also took ZANTAC...AS per the doc. So thus no acid and no enzymes now......what is one to do if we can't take HCL and protease? ANYONE out there know?
Melinda
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, April 23, 2009 - 5:20 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cathy...sending you an email tonight :-)
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 24, 2009 - 6:36 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

cathy218, Found this and thought it was interesting. Check out the entire page.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excitotoxicity

"Excitotoxicity is the pathological process by which nerve cells are damaged and killed by glutamate and similar substances. This occurs when receptors for the excitatory neurotransmitter glutamate such as the NMDA receptor and AMPA receptor are overactivated. Excitotoxins like NMDA and kainic acid which bind to these receptors, as well as pathologically high levels of glutamate, can cause excitotoxicity by allowing high levels of calcium ions[1] (Ca2+) to enter the cell. Ca2+ influx into cells activates a number of enzymes, including phospholipases, endonucleases, and proteases such as calpain. These enzymes go on to damage cell structures such as components of the cytoskeleton, membrane, and DNA."
Zoomer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, May 14, 2010 - 11:30 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have tried Glutamine powder and got an MSG-reaction after around six hours. Usually I get an MSG-reaction within an hour if I directly ingest MSG.

I have read that it can be converted into MSG in the body.
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 3:31 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Attn: Deb, hopefully the links on the search page can be fixed.

Zoomer, It took me a while to find this post, as the link on the search page took me somewhere else. Anyway, did you take the glutamine powder recently? It would sound to me that you certainly turned it into FGA, it just took your system a few hours, hence the delayed reaction.
Anonymous
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 09, 2010 - 11:08 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cathy and Melinda, Just curious how you are doing, what has worked for you to help with the leaky gut, if you are less sensitive to foods you haven't been able to eat and if you've had any successes that you'd be willing to share. Thanks for the older posts. Very helpful.

And, if anyone has had any luck with this line of thought.
vicki s
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2010 - 10:06 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I haven't posted for awhile, but wanted to add to this thread on l-glutamine. My doctor prescribed it for leaky gut, and also checked with the manufacturer for me. They assured me it would not cause me to react. Well, I wish I had looked on here first, or listened to my intuition, but I am wiser now. I took it and immediately had a reaction, which continued all day and into today as well. I guess this is my opportunity to educate this doctor that some of us will react to l-glutamine and to start listening to my intuition!
DebA.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, August 16, 2010 - 2:42 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

l-glutamine can be converted to l-glutamic acid in our body. So sorry you had a reaction, vicki.
lauralight1972
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 - 6:04 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cathy, I really hope you started taking lots of hcl with your meals, it's called achlorhydria and you need to digest food with replacement acid(hcl). If you take doses high enough, like 4-6 grams per meal, your reflux will stop! you can talk to me privately or anyone else with questions at yahoo.com
I have had it for almost 3 years now.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page