Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Chocolate

Battling the MSG Myth » "Help! I Have a Question" » Chocolate « Previous Next »

Sara B
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 5:18 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just purchased a Lindt 70% cocoa chocolate bar. I had stomach cramping and other stomach upset after eating it. I'm guessing I must have a slight chocolate/cocoa allergy/sensitivity. I wanted to post this in case anyone in the future is researching this. I think it's good for everyone to post as much as possible about reactions, etc. so that others can easily find info here. I will continue to experiment a little, but after reading other posted information on chocolate as a stimulant, I'm not sure I'm that crazy about it. I am starting to feel also a little nausea and hyper/antsy. Not loving this feeling. Thanks....Hope everyone else is doing well!!
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 6:02 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sara B, I love Lindt 70%, but only eat a tiny bit at a time - you didn't mention how much you ate. Perhaps trying just a tad would be ok for you.
Melinda
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 7:11 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lindt chocolate has malted barley in it - that could have caused some reaction. But also most chocolate has soy lecithin and milk solids. I am unable to eat Lindt chocolate but do love it.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 2:27 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've never seen malted barley on the list of ingredients in the plain dark chocolate bars. ???
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 3:33 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A Lindt plain dark chocolate bar:

http://www.lindtusa.com/product-exec/product_id/216/category_id//nm/Excellence_90_Cocoa_Bar
Melinda
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 1:08 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got a multi pack of the lindt chocolate with white choc, dark choc and milk choc balls in it and on the package it listed malted barley as one of the ingredients so not sure which flavor has it in it. Looks like the plain dark chocolate bar is safe.

Although I wonder if the cocoa powder is processed with alkali which I think causes reactions in some (anyone have info on alkali is welcome to correct me as I am not 100% sure of that). Also not sure how the cocoa beans are processed to create the chocolate they use. If it is anything like coffee beans where some are processed using a form of msg (thus why some react to some coffee brands like Starbucks), then that too can cause problems. Sorry, don't know enough about that, but just trying to throw out ideas. :-)
LisaMarie
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 3:16 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think we have had this discussion before about Lindt. It used to be safe--until about 2 1/2 years ago. I noticed the colorful little balls had subtly changed in their wrappings. At the same time, it began to make me ill. Read the label, and of course, it was all adulterated. Some other company bought them out, and began a mass marketing of watered down products, complete with everything that we can't eat safely. The dark chocolate one seems to be the only safe one left. I LOVED Lindt in the before days. Now, can't eat even one of them.
Nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 9:14 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've recently found Enjoy Life chocolate chips that appear to be O.K. for me. (Ingredients: Evaporated Cane Juice, Chocolate Liquor, Non-Dairy Cocoa Butter)I found them at Whole Foods. According to their web site they also have chocolate bars and other products. http://www.enjoylifefoods.com/our_foods/chocolate_bars.html
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 9:58 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just happen to have a "Lindt 70% cocoa bar" in front of me and the ingredients are:chocolate, sugar, cocoa butter, natural bourbon vanilla beans. May contain traces of peanuts/tree/nuts/soybean/milk.

Guess I'm lucky, I can tolerate a small piece each day.
Sara B
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 8:51 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dianne and everyone!

I had just two small squares which was about 1/3 of the bar, I think. The serving size was 4 squares. I tried some again later this week and seemed to do o.k. maybe it was something else. I had been doing some cooking and used some whole milk which may have been a problem. It had vitamin d3 added. I'm still investigating that. Dianne, the ingredients you gave were exactly right. I'm not ready to give up on it yet.
Sara B
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 8:56 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found this really great recipe for tasty oatmeal, chocolatey peanut butter drop no-bake cookies. They fix my chocolate craving, too. I can post the recipe if anyone is interested or it is in the allrecipe website.
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 1:14 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sara B,

I can't eat that much (1/3 of a bar), I usually have about 1/10 of a bar....just enough to get that dark chocolatey taste in my mouth from letting it melt on my tongue.

Yes, please post the recipe for the cookies!
Sara B
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 3:33 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually, I just realized Deb had one from her book, too. But here's the one I used. Deb's is similar....

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup milk
3 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
Add to Recipe Box
My folders:

DIRECTIONS
Bring to boil the white sugar, butter or margarine and milk. Boil for exactly 1 minute. NO LONGER.
Remove from heat and add oatmeal, peanut butter, vanilla and cocoa. Mix together and drop by teaspoon onto wax paper. Let cool for approximate 1/2 hour.
sara b
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 3:34 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the info, Dianne. I will try cutting back to 1/10th of the bar. That should be enough. I've noticed my cravings have really gone done since I've managed to get rid of most of the msg in my diet.
Sara B
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 9:23 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh I am so bummed. I was noticing I was having a reaction to the above cookies I made. I thought maybe it was because I ran out of white sugar and added just a bit of brown sugar. I made some hot cocoa with sugar and the Hershy'e cocoa powder I had purchased (also in the cookies) and had a major reaction with my breathing and headache and this was with only one sip of the cocoa. Does anyone know anything about the different types of cocoa powder, what's in the cocoa been. Is it a lost cause? Thanks....Sara
Amy N.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 11:32 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sara, I remember reading at some point that it's possible to have a reaction to grocery-store-variety white sugar because it's made from sugar beets - what kind of white sugar are you using?
sara b
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 12:56 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Amy,

I could be the white sugar. It's just store brand. Let me look at the label. It's Wegmans White Sugar and it just says Sugar as the ingredient. I will have to see. Something tells me it's the cocoa, though. As a child I never ate chocolate and didn't really like it. It gave me a headache. My mom said I always wanted white chocolate. As an adult I've just always been on inhalers and ibuprofen so I couldn't really tell what I was allergic to. I will have to test them both. I was thinking, too, that whatever the process "white" sugar is put through could be what I'm reacting too. Do other people on this board have a problem with white sugar? Thanks Amy. Guess it's still trial and error. I appreciate you taking the time to post, though. Sara
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 5:53 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sara B,

I think I remember a couple of people reacting to some brands of rolled oats. I think Deb A. said she couldn't eat Quaker. And it may also depend on the variety, i.e. quick vs. original. Just a thought.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 8:28 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sara, most store brands of sugar are made from highly processed sugar beets, which are high in glutamate. The glutamate residues in sugar beet sugar give me reactions. I am also bothered by the BHT that is added to the boxes of Quaker Oats oatmeal as a preservative. I buy oats in the bulk section. Chocolate gives many people headaches. It's often on lists of foods to avoid for those who suffer from migraine headaches. I do fine with Hershey's plain dark cocoa, but react to dry milk and whey powders in milk chocolate, along with other additives in flavored chocolates. Lecithin from soybeans can also be problematic for some, since some manufacturers don't remove the glutamate residues most of the time. The book goes into more detail about these products.
Anonymous

Posted From: 99.237.220.167
Posted on Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 4:50 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I ate some pure, high-quality organic chocolate the other day - (75% cocoa so it is not very sweet either). The list of ingredients in this bar was: organic cocoa liquor, organic cocoa powder, organic cane sugar and organic cocoa butter. Later in the day, however, I experienced my classic brain symptoms - irritability, difficulty remembering and articulating.
If there is no soy lecithin and no dairy, why am I still reacting this way? Does the caffeine trigger a glutamate response? Would I be better off with raw cacao beans or nibs? Any advice would be appreciated.
Jennifer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 8:02 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I cannot tolerate much caffeine or chocolate - and I've known about that long before I found out about MSG. I have done a little research that hints that perhaps it could be linked indirectly to a sulfite intolerance. I have a severe sulfite intolerance too. I've found as I detoxed from glutamate, I am able to withstand a little more caffeine or chocolate. How much did you eat?

Jennifer
Anonymous

Posted on Thursday, November 05, 2009 - 2:11 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jennifer,
Thanks for your input. I only ate a few squares of the chocolate. I have no idea if I have a sulfite intolerance.
I will pay attention to see if eating raw chocolate gives me the same result. Apparently there is a lot less caffeine in raw chocolate.
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, November 06, 2009 - 5:48 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous,

I can eat only a small amount of chocolate because of the caffeine. I am curious, can you tell me where you found out that there is less caffeine in raw chocolate?
Anonymous

Posted on Friday, November 06, 2009 - 11:23 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Di,
I just googled 'caffeine in raw chocolate' and got many hits. Here is one link that explains the energy boost you get from eating raw chocolate vs. processed chocolate.

http://healthyfoods.fivestarwayofliving.com/chocolate-is-healthy-if-you-eat-the-right-kind/
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, November 07, 2009 - 3:47 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks anon, I had never heard this before, but glad to read of it. Do you eat raw nibs, powder, or what form? Do you make your own chocolate? Do you buy it online?
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, November 07, 2009 - 3:48 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks anon, I had never heard this before, but glad to read of it. Do you eat raw nibs, powder, or what form? Do you buy it online? Do you make your own chocolate?
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, November 08, 2009 - 3:15 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Di, I bought raw cacao powder and nibs from Amazon. I mix it with raw honey (pasteurized honey gives me a problem) and eat it on rice cakes. It gives me no reaction.
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, November 08, 2009 - 3:24 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, I forgot to add that we mix the raw cocoa with raw honey, fresh ground peanuts (or pecans, cashews, walnuts, almonds) and a dash of sea salt to make peanut butter fudge. We just roll it into balls and eat it from the freezer or fridge. We also make "instant macaroons" by mixing raw honey with unsweetened unsulphured shredded coconut and cacao nibs and/or cocoa powder. And of course fresh hot cocoa is divine with raw cocoa powder and honey and raw milk.

We would have never appreciated these treats back when we ate processed foods. I think all the food additives "kill" taste buds and it takes a while for them to come back to life. Everything tastes so much better to us now. My kids are even eating things they never would try before, too.

Kristy
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, November 08, 2009 - 6:41 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

kristy, great suggestions and advise, and all so true about the taste buds. friends don't see how i can eat (and like) what i do, but unbeknownst to them their buds have been destroyed.
Anonymous

Posted From: 69.151.64.197
Posted on Friday, March 01, 2013 - 3:39 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Until I find some msg-free chocolate, I'm sticking to making hot chocolate with Hershey's cocoa, sugar, and milk. We buy vitamin D milk; is that a potential issue?
AdaLovelace
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 01, 2013 - 11:59 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I like dark chocolate as well as raw cacoa nibs!

Milk is an issue, especially when it is ultra pasteurized and/or when it is all or part skim milk.

Avoid things containing dry milk solids in it as well. Skim milk contains more free glutamate than whole milk as it is generally dry milk powder mixed with water. If you're planning on drinking milk, look for simply "pasteurized" instead of "ultra pasteurized" and go for whole milk--you can water it down yourself if it's too rich tasting.

From truthinlabeling.com: "the higher heat used in [the process of ultra pasteurization] appears to break down more of the milk protein than occurs in normal pasteurization, resulting in a level of processed free glutamic acid (MSG)." Here's some more information on the topic: http://www.truthinlabeling.org/Milk%20and%20MSG.html

You'll find that a lot of us here on the forums steer clear of most things vitamin fortified as well. When synthetic vitamins are added to food products such as milk, the companies are not required to disclose where the vitamins come from or what they are composed of. A lot of MSG Myth followers react to synthetic vitamins (they don't feel well as a result of ingesting them).

That being said, I gave up all dairy over a year ago and my sinuses have been thanking me! :-) I've been making fresh rice milk and fresh almond milk in the blender--they are delicious and refreshing!
Anonymous

Posted From: 76.206.219.203
Posted on Tuesday, March 05, 2013 - 1:58 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not sure there is such thing as vitamin D-free milk around here, aside from organic. Even the fresh farm milk has it. We can't afford to buy only organic. I would NEVER want to go without dairy.

Unless vitamin D is specifically an issue, I won't worry. I have yet to read anything about vitamin D containing free glucamates.
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 05, 2013 - 2:04 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't worry about Vit D supplementation anymore because most milks even cheap ones have started supplementing with D3 instead of the cheaper and more difficult to convert D2. (though I don't think either form has excitotoxicity).

I do try to avoid anything with folic acid as it inhibits absorption of folinic acid and 5-mthf which we supplement, and they aren't cheap so no point in nullifying them.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page