Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Does Malted Barley Flour = MSG?

Battling the MSG Myth » "Help! I Have a Question" » Does Malted Barley Flour = MSG? « Previous Next »

Anonymous

Posted From: 74.130.136.69
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2009 - 7:03 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have crazy migraines after eating malted barley in flour or beer. For the longest time I just thought it was iron overload because I get the same from spinach. As it turns out it's the tannin. Tannin is found in spinach and most bitter tasting foods but most importantly it is a major bi-product of fermented barley (malt). Also, Guinness is the only beer that does not give me a headache as Guinness roasts it's barley which remains unfermented till the very end when whatever malt that forms is removed using finings (fish guts as a filter) cool ha! Anyway, for you people out there that think MSG is the culprit, think again. MSG is BAD stuff but it may not be the cause for headaches.
Dbritt
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2011 - 2:35 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well actually Guinness does use malted barley, only a small percentage of the beer's ingredients is roasted unmalted barley. Finnings are not a filter but they help precipitate things like proteins and yeast out of the solution and yes they can be made from fish swim bladders. I am a certified brewer and just wanted to make a few points clear here so as not to propagate any misinformation. Also tannins are a component of the barley husk and have little to do whether the barley has been malted or not, they are present in both, but can be washed out of the barley during brewing (although most brewers strive to not do this as it negatively affects flavor). The above poster is very misinformed about barley and the beer making process.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2011 - 2:53 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dbritt, welcome to the message board from someone whose name means "beer brewer".
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2011 - 2:03 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.remixito.com/images/actu/propagande/biere/piwo-3.jpg
bobby
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, October 30, 2011 - 5:59 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

headaches can be produced by many things,

vasoconstriction is at the top of the list,

many things can accomplish vasoconstriction.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page