Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Other Harmful Substances and Sensitiv...

Battling the MSG Myth » Other Harmful Substances and Sensitivities (Aspartame, L-Cysteine, preservatives, pesticides, environmental toxins)  

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
SoyDeb A.3-16-10  3:48 pm
Aspartame diseaseRoy Piwovar12 4-24-15  10:40 am
Revlon Paraffin BathMartha3-13-10  8:39 am
Peanut Butterbo'nana10 12-30-10  12:03 pm
Sorbitolbobby8-30-11  12:54 pm
Anyone have problem with iron skillets?Roy Piwovar6-28-10  2:29 am
Aluminumkristy24 7-28-10  10:36 pm
Chinese Pinenuts - Bad Taste Reaction, aka PinemouthMariann3-12-10  10:22 am
Signatures needed to help prevent GM crops being grown in Europe.Mariann4-17-10  5:25 am
FluorideJerry Story6-01-10  9:19 pm
The EPA declares that Formaldehyde causes Cancerguruofmsg6-09-10  7:15 pm
White coated tongue after eating breadNana16 3-11-11  4:50 pm
Fluoride in GelatinDi9-13-10  1:05 pm
Zyclara for Pre-cancerous skin lesionsDi10 3-05-12  3:31 am
Seaweed Fertilizer Okay??ali2-03-11  11:21 pm
Could pollen cause my aches??shelia2-01-11  5:33 pm
Meat Glue aka Transglutaminase (TG)Roy Piwovar13 4-27-11  2:41 am
Grocery Store Organics vs Market OrganicsMerry6-10-11  1:39 pm
Toxins in clothing and other materialsali2-07-12  10:10 pm
Dental anestheticTom Fernstrom17 8-11-12  8:44 am
Avocado Questionsara1-12-13  9:40 am
Tea Bags - A Surprising Source of Potential ToxinsPat5-02-13  1:35 pm
Dairy industry pushing to hide aspartame in new definition of 'milk...Jerry Story11-18-13  9:40 am
Mold sensitivityNana2-09-14  4:16 am
ColostrumLee11-23-14  10:25 am
LotionAdaLovelace10-20-15  10:36 pm
  Start New Thread        

Welcome to Other Harmful Substances and Sensitivities (Aspartame, L-Cysteine, preservatives, pesticides, environmental toxins). You may enter any of the discussions above by clicking on the appropriate link. Or, to start a new discussion of your own, click on the "Create New Conversation" button.

Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 8:17 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just received my e-newsletter from Dr. Mercola. He talks about the dangers of agave...has a higher fructose number than high fructose corn syrup, contaminants and chemicals like sulfur used in the process to make it. Time to do some more research.
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 31, 2010 - 1:18 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I looked up at that post about HFCS from Dr. Mercola last April and I have to laugh.

"A quarter of the 45,000 items in the average supermarket contain processed corn"

That is such a monstrous underestimation. If only that were true, my life would sure be a lot easier. :-) I would estimate the percentage to be around 85% or 90% since it is in most meat and dairy and produce. I think they are only counting the food in packages and the hidden corn is actually hidden even from Dr. Mercola.
Debbey
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 10:46 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just saw another commercial about how wonderful it is that the soda companies are putting diet soda in schools so the children get fewer calories and less sugar. Can you imagine the amount of nutrasweet and splenda children will be drinking/i remember reading a report about baseball the sun and nutrasweet-how bad it was for children will have to see if I can find it again so sad
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 1:04 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

debbey, you know when I heard that the big companies were complying with getting less fattening choices in the schools, I thought 'Oh, how, by giving them sugar free poison instead" Now here it is. The blind get blinder, but there are many people out there that are realizing, even some Doctors. I had a friend visit me yesterday and she wanted to pick my brain about Msg and its cousins. Her husbands internist gave him a list of things to stay away from to help his IBS and fibromyalgia. Can you imagine a Dr. seeing this, yippee I say. I sat with her for about an hour and a half. Gave her a list of foods to start with, the names of the web sites to go to and offered to give her lessens on how to make her own bread. I am so happy. I just signed a petition regarding not being able to label foods "not GMO". She was the first person I asked to sign it. I am going to try to post it here so you all can do it as well. Mariann
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 4:42 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kristy, I have been seeing a lot in the news about your area, I am hoping all is well with you. Mariann
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 1:37 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey guys, I just heard what I thought was going to be information about organic gardening on the radio. It turned out to be an info-mercial about a "NEW Inovative" product. It is an organic fertilizer. Converted Organics of Maine to be sold at Whole Foods and Home Depot. They say it is naturally occuring, a Fungi, they used the words Phytosome and Micro user to describe it. They said that the Fungi will be self perpetuating because when it interacts with the roots, it becomes self perpetuating. It promotes root growth and plant production. I am not loving this. I am going to check it out at their web site, but I wanted to alert you all to this. Does anyone know about this. How about you Roy o pedia. You always have good info. Mariann
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 2:21 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roy o pedia link to Converted Organics "for a safer world":
http://www.convertedorganics.com/products/agriculture/agricultural-products
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 4:08 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Roy, I knew I could count on you. I will be doing some studying now. Weigh in whoever would like. I want to know if we have another Auxigro on our hands. Mariann
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 12:29 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Debbey and Mariann, I just saw that commercial about lowering the sugar consumption in schools and it made me sick. It's almost like someone wants our children to suffer. The FDA HAS to know how dangerous aspartame is. I just saw a new product for the garden. It was a pesticide/nutrient, I think. I noticed that Disney characters were on the front of the bag and in big letters, "made from corn gluten". Can't remember the name, but it looks like we are doomed to see more of these products. Give me old fashioned chicken or steer manure, please.
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 1:56 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb yes I agree about the manure. They in fact singled out how ridiculous it is to use manure from horses, cows or chickens when you can get a multi faceted fertilizer from their product. I am getting heirloom seeds this year and will continue to collect them, so I can replicate my own garden. I am worried that organic farmers may start using this stuff. I hate it when they make me crazy. (big laugh). Ugh corn gluten, that has to have Kristy rolling her eyes. My nephew joined the Army Medical Corp soon. I grabbed him at our annual Easter family gathering and begged him not to drink the readily available diet soda over seas. Mariann
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 1:17 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Guys,

Mississippi was hit by a record tornado but nothing in my area, luckily. It hardly even rained here so we were quite relieved.

I was diagnosed with IBS and fibromyalgia before I removed food additives from my diet. I think it is really smart for anyone with those diagnoses to avoid all food additives and packaged foods. That was what cured me of both "diseases".

This is one of my favorite sites about food secrets: http://www.fooducate.com/blog/
I think the word is getting out slowly but surely. I just stopped a lady in Walmart garden center the other day because she was letting her 4yo (estimate) drink a diet Dr. Pepper. I told her that aspartame was a deadly neurotoxin and that no one should be ingesting it, but it is especially harmful for young children. I told her she should read up on it a little bit and she would be appalled at the information about it that isn't common knowledge. I know she was probably embarrassed but I hope she will at least start wondering about it and do some reading. At the very least, it made me feel better because I tried to help. I sometimes can't help but open my mouth to strangers, but I try to limit it to instances of especially heinous deeds.

Mariann, I am so glad to see you back on the board. I am glad you are doing so well and had such an agreeable doctor. Yeah, I was rolling my eyes over the corn gluten Disney crap. I hate it that everyone thinks that corn is an ecologically sound alternative for chemical plastics and petroleum products. Growing huge monoculture GMO crops is one of the worst things for our environment and the future of this country. It makes me think of biofuels and how asinine that is....we are supposed to believe that we are doing a good thing by using foreign oil to cultivate, protect from pests, fertilize and harvest GMO corn and then transport it (using foreign oil) to be processed into ethanol (processing uses quite a bit of electricity - mostly generated by burning the tops of our former mountain ranges "clean coal" HA). This sounds more like musical chairs instead of an actual logical step toward being less dependant on foreign oil. It's really ridiculous when you look at the whole process. And because it was shoved down our throats as a "green" alternative, I now get a reaction every time I fill up my car.

Roy, Converted Organics sure sounds like corn to me. Won't that be fantastic if they can manage to get corn into my produce before it even gets grown.
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 6:05 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kristy good for you. Even if it fell on deaf ears then, it will sink in later. What Mom wants to hurt her child? If you don't know you can't make a change. You did your part. As I said on an earlier post, I am collecting heirloom seeds and working on re-building my compost, after the high water. So glad you are OK. Stay well. Mariann
Debbey
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 1:49 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

article on Supreme Court and GM seed
GMO scares me
we call soy "round up ready" corn too and NOW alfalfa
so if you eat a hamburger are you eating mass amounts of GMO stuff even if "green"
unfortunately those who control the seed
will controll the food and
will controll the world
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/201004250405/BUSINESS01/4250320
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2010 - 11:50 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Debbey, As for your question about eating hamburger....I am allergic to corn and I can't tolerate cornfed beef. This indicates to me that the GMO corn is being passed along to the consumer of the beef that it is fed to. The same goes for milk and eggs. I really worry about alfalfa because GMO alfalfa is a way to make sure that everyone gets hefty doses of GMO with their food, even those of us that choose pasture raised animal products.

Here is a list of GMO crops for human consumption evaluated by the FDA in 2002:
Corn
Squash
Soybean
Cantaloupe
Tomato
Papaya
Rice
Canola
Potato
Radish
Cotton
Sugar Beet
Flax

Note that many of these have more than one genetic modification.
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 30, 2010 - 3:04 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

kristy, What about organic beef, milk and eggs? Do they contain corn or other GMOs too? I changed to the expensive organic varities of these but now I wonder if I should be eating any of it.
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 30, 2010 - 5:58 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This just makes the cost of collecting heirloom seeds diminish. It is like a runaway freight train. So I am getting off and growing more of my own stuff. Mariann
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2010 - 9:00 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Di, I can't say whether your organic meats contain GMOs, but I do know that GMO corn-derived lactic acid and citric acid is allowed by the USDA for processing organic meats. It seems unlikely that the processors would choose something much more expensive when the cheap GMO sprays are legal, so I just assume the organic meat in my store is corntaminated and at $12 a whole chicken, I have no desire to test my assumption.

I bought my beef (half a cow) from a farmer in my area that I trust. I had it processed in a place that did it to my specifications so no corn ever touched it. I am hoping he will do pastured chickens for me next year. He already does them for his family, but if I commit to buying a certain number, he said he could probably do it for me, too.

Organic eggs usually contain corn or soy but I can't tell whether it is GMO or not from my reactions. I just know that I do react to organic eggs. I found one brand that I can tolerate, but there is still corn or soy in small amounts present.

Milk should be bought raw. All vitamin D milk is fortified using corn oil as a carrier for the (almost certainly corny) synthetic vitamin D. This includes organic milk. Even if they were to claim to use organic corn oil (mythical creature that it is - and none do as far as I know), the vitamins are made with GMO corn. If you can find an organic milk that isn't fortified, I think it will be ultra-pasteurized. At least, the only ones I could find in my research were and I avoid ultrapasteurized. Most people on this board should, too, for glutamate reasons if not for any of the other reasons.

I just found raw goat milk at the farmers market. I can't wait to try making my own dairy kefir and start making yogurt again. The goats are fed a grain mix when milking and it does contain corn, but I am hoping that it won't matter for us. They are on pasture and eat grass all the time except for when they are being milked. I think this is as good as it is going to get for us without getting our own cow or goats so I am going to try it.

Mariann, It was so hard for me to get started this year that I used some seedlings from local nurseries, but next year I will start my own seedlings with heirloom seeds. Even buying hybrids seems to nettle me these days. I wish everyone would buy heirloom seeds so that the seed savers will be able to afford to stay in business. I bought some last year - I don't ever want to buy conventional seeds again. I don't even know if they have to label GMO seeds as GMO?

By the way, all cheese made in the US commercially is made using GMO enzymes (chymosin) that are grown on a GMO corn medium. GMO chymosin was one of the first GMOs foisted onto the unsuspecting American consumer. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rennet
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 03, 2010 - 9:27 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We keep learning so many things from each other...it's so great!
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 10:13 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

kristy, Wish I could find raw milk but for now organic will have to do. Glad you have found beef and raw goat milk near by and a brand of eggs you can eat. With all the care you are taking you are probably the healthiest person in your state!
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 12:21 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kristy I think when they hybridize plants they mess with the make-up, if you try to save those seeds until the next year you are not sure what you will get, so heirloom is the definite way to go. Mariann
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 4:51 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

roy, i have a question for you... i originally posted it in response to one of your older comments under "natures gate sunscreen", but the search page randomly redirects to a thread about "naturipe strawberries" (huh?!?)

i wonder if this board might have gotten sabotaged, this is sure happening a lot! wow, i hope not, this board is a Survival Tool for so many of us canaries!!!

anyway, my question is about dimethicone & other common chems in personal products- you sound like you might react in the same ways that i am suspecting i do... i would love to hear your perspective!

(here is the text of the original post- (the only way i found it was to go back and repeat my original search that led to your comment in the first place)...

"Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 4:18 pm:
hi roy, i have a question for you about the dimethicone... how do you react? and also, do you find you are reactive to other common ingredients in skin or haircare products?

i have a connective tissue disorder and a suspicion that i too am reacting to the -cones & -canes as they are all related to silicone, which is a no-no for Sclerodermics.

i got rid of all my hair products last year becoz my hair was falling out like crazy, that seemed to help for awhile but now its coming out again and my skin problems just wont quit!
i have only used herb-infused olive oil and stevia on my face for the past couple months but now i think i need to stop using bottled hand lotions or creams too...

anyway, i am having a hard time pinning any specific reaction to anything except the sulfates (which i KNOW make my hair fall out) but the 'really good' organic brands dont seem to bring any relief either. so now i am thinking there must be some very common processed ingredient that they all use, regular and fancy shmancy organic alike.

can you shed any light based on your own experiences? thank yu sooo much!"
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 5:35 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

bo'nana, I just have to say that your problem sounds related to collagen. Lyme disease and its coinfections destroy collagen and attack connective tissue. Does your skin feel very dry and papery in places? Do you have chronically dry skin that no amount of lotion or oils will fix? What about healing? Do you take longer to heal every little scratch or tend to scar over the least little bump or scrape? Do you have floaters in your vision or excessive matter in your eyes? What about dry, itchy scalp?

You really need to read this book: http://www.amazon.com/Healing-Lyme-Prevention-Borreliosis-Coinfections/dp/0970869630 In it, he explains his herbal protocol and the function of the herbs and how they help heal the many different manifestations of Lyme. Even if you don't think you have Lyme disease, it is very helpful to see the different herbs that he suggests for collagen support and healing. I have also read many good things about using EFAs (essential fatty acids) to help heal the damage to skin and hair.

I also wanted to say that I have a lot of skin and hair problems, but I now use nothing but organic virgin coconut oil on my face and wash hair and body with pure extra virgin olive oil soap. This has helped me tremendously. I also use the unscented lotion from tropicaltraditions.com and have found it very pure and effective. The gold label coconut oil and unscented lip balm that I use are also from TT.
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 9:18 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

kristy, an emphatic YES to your thoughts, its definitely an autoimmune Collagen-Vascular problem... but naturally, it doesnt fit neatly into anyone's box, so it remains mostly undiagnosed. i have had sporadic episodes of both morphea and the 'plastic' skin of more traditional scleroderma. i think of it as a sort of 'relapsing-remitting' scleroderma... unfortunately, it doesnt seem to be remitting very often anymore. instead, over the past 3 or 4 years it tends to episodically morph into new, odd, uncategorizable (is that a word) symptoms... like these wierd stubborn little blisters on my face over the past couple years

just add chronic low key pain & constant fatigue to the mix, and your post pretty well describes me :P
i grew up in 'tick heaven' too... so... i have wondered about borrelia for some time. tho not nearly as ill as the gal i knew who had Lyme - thankfully! poor thing had it soooo bad

i didnt know about that book, it sounds like a Must Read! thank you for the good advice, and yes i have also found oil to be very soothing. for some reason my skin reddens & thins out from both coconut and emu oils :-( ... but i do really like cold-pressed olive oil. it brings relief from tight itchy discomfort and softens the scabs all those little blemishes inevitably form (ugh, no ali, i didnt win... but stevia did take care of the burning which must have been secondary bacteria- hooray for all small victories)

ive just started using "Gaia Goo" Healing Salve by Wild Carrot, and so far really like it- still getting teeny tiny new blisters here & there but since i switched over to this, some of the older blemishes seem to be forming new skin under the scabs- yay!
(ingredients: "organic olive oil infused with St Johns Wort, Calendula, Chickweed & Plantain , beeswax, & pure essential oils of wild rosemary & oregon lavender")

...gosh, i just read this whole post over and it sounds so yucky! its not as bad as it sounds really. i just look like a middle aged lady with a bad case of teenage acne. ha.

btw, kristy- i have been wondering how you are doing these days? i saw where you said you had to stop the GAPS diet for now, and i recently came across a post you made only a year ago when you were first starting on that program and you were still struggling with so many symptoms... i hope its not all sneeking back up on you all over again! that would be so frustrating! i do hope you have arrived at a place of relative stability, and able to keep holding your own
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 09, 2010 - 1:50 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

bo'nana, I have the same problems with the message board directing to pages ending in the right month, but prior year.

Dimethicone in shampoo makes my hair fall out big time. It is present in many skin care products as well. The only shampoo I find helpful to relieve itching to any degree is Nizoral, an antifungal that used to be available only by prescription, but it has ingredients that some may react to. Coconut oil skin creams make my skin turn red. Others do not.

a link regarding lyme disease:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borreliosis
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 09, 2010 - 7:20 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanx roy, it sure sounds like we react to at least a couple things in the same way.... hmmmm... still trying to make sense of all this, and figure out why things keep getting worse when i am doing so many things to make it better?

roy, do you know whether SLS/SLES or derivatives like Sodium Olefin Sulfonate, Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate & Cocamidopropyl Betaine cause any problems for you? none of them used to bother me when i was younger... but about 10 years ago SLS/SLES became a problem... easy enough to avoid... until the last 2 or 3 years and then one by one each of the others began to cause problems too. Olefin Sulfonate and there is an ammonium one too- those are the worst- i just made the mistake of trying a spendy organic Shikai 'colour saving' shampoo that was made with Olefin and for the next week my hair was dropping like crazy! boo... back to Dr Bronners... i have misgivings about it being coconut based but at least it doesnt cause the dramatic hair loss.

what about you kristy? you said you have lots of skin & hair problems, what are they like? what triggers have you found?
so glad you found that coconut helps you so much, especially when there are so many things you are forced to avoid!

also, kristy & roy, do either of you know if you are dealing with lyme or anything like it? if so, i would love to be able to pick your brains for more info....
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 09, 2010 - 12:19 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

bo'nana,

I've never been tested for lyme disease.

I've used Dr. Bronners, but the condition it leaves my hair in is unacceptable. Unlike the skin cream, coconut oil doesn't seem to bother me in forms that wash off.

I don't have any clear reaction to SLS/SLES or Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate. The shampoo that made my hair fall out like crazy contained both Dimethicone and Ammonium Xylene Sulfonate. I didn't suspect the Ammonium Xylene Sulfonate because I've used shampoos with numerous, although different, sulfonate compounds, and only the one shampoo with Dimethicone caused the hair loss. The hair loss was profuse and began with the second day I used it.

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/ingredient/700386/AMMONIUM_XYLENE-SULFONATE/

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/ingredient/702011/DIMETHICONE/
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 09, 2010 - 3:33 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

bo'nana, me and both my teenagers tested positive for Lyme using the western blot test, but that isn't enough to definitively state we have Lyme. The doctor we went to did prescribe antibiotics but they didn't help any of us - in fact made us much sicker because we were already suffering digestion problems and had an undiagnosed corn allergy (antibiotics contain corn).

We have suffered so many different strange symptoms and each have different symptoms even now. My skin is in a terrible state and I am always searching for safe soaps, lip balms and lotions. Luckily, I have a new friend who sells soap at the farmers market and she is making special stuff for me. The other soap vendor makes a custom soap for me, too. I wanted to mention that I have used some coconut oils that caused me problems (I think it was because of sulfate contamination) but the gold label stuff from tropicaltraditions.com is very pure and very safe even for me. Have you checked your water supply? Try washing your face and hair with distilled water for a few days and see if there is any improvement. The chlorinated water at my house still causes my face to get red when I shower. Some water is even treated with citric acid so you may want to call your water company to find out.

One thing I have learned is that the better we are eating the better we feel. I don't mean just clean and corn-free, either. When we ate the GAPS diet, we felt better than we have in years. Even now that we aren't on the diet we do better if I make sure to include a wide variety of veggies every day (fermented, cooked and raw). If we slack off veggies and start mostly living off something like mac-n-cheese or pasta salad or potatoes (or something else starchy), we all feel much worse. I don't know why that is, but it is definitely consistent with all of us.

I do believe we are dealing with Lyme and we are going to start the Buhner protocol outlined in his book as soon as we can get the herbs. I am ordering cut and sift herbs and will be making decoctions (like tea) to make sure we avoid any corn additives and capsules (we don't do well with gelatin or veggie caps). I am excited to get started even though there seems to be some pretty miserable days ahead while we are getting used to the herbs. We all suffer from fatigue (our most aggravating symptom) so are very anxious to get some relief.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 09, 2010 - 8:44 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Buhner protocol for Lyme disease:

Andrographis paniculata, standardized to 10% andrographolides. 400mg, 1-4 capsules or tablets 3-4x daily for 8-12 months.

Japanese Knotweed (Resveratrol): 1-4 tablets 3-4x daily for 8-12 months. The standardized tablets (e.g. those manufactured by Source Naturals, which he recommends) contain 1/2 gram (500mg) of standardized Polygonum cuspidatum whole herb (Hu Zhang) and 10mg of resveratrol.

Cat's claw (Uncaria tomentosa): 500mg, 3-4 capsules 3-4x daily for 8-12 months.

Herbs that can be added to the core protocol

Astragalus, Dosage and use varies depending on stage of infection, after cat's claw

Smilax (sarsaparilla): 425-500 mg, 1-4 capsules 3-4x daily for 8-12 months.

source:
http://www.prohealth.com/lyme/blog/boardDetail.cfm?id=871
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2010 - 6:28 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hey kristy... i put that book you mentioned on hold at my library yesterday- cant wait for it to come in! i am intrigued by the idea of using the herbals to help combat my illness, even tho i cant know for certain that i have a tickborne disease.

i know ive been bitten at least once, with no 'bullseye'... but my wierd autoimmune symptoms and chronic fatigue did seem to gradually worsen after that point. i guess my theory is that i dont have Lyme or i would be a lot more ill than i am... BUT maybe that tick did pass on some little goody that a healthy body would fight off but i couldnt as my system was allready primed with an autoimmune condition. if that makes any sense.

anyway, i was wondering if you would like to start following Dr Buhners protocol together? maybe we could help keep each other on task ... when we start feeling too tired to follow through... & i agree with you: the constant fatigue really is the worst part.
especially the Brain Drain!
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 16, 2010 - 11:19 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That sounds good bo'nana, I am hoping to get my herbs next week. I ordered most of them from Mountain Rose Herbs and the others from 1st Chinese.

I've been reading the lyme questions that Buhner answers online: http://planetthrive.com/category/experts/buhner/ and am also reading all the messages on the Buhner Lyme group on yahoo: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Aid_Buhner/ I am really looking forward to some relief.
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, July 18, 2010 - 4:23 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well, ive broken down & started using the bar of homemade milk soap i received from our hosts at the homesteader b&b we stayed with in june...
i'd wanted to keep it for a souvenir but my skin problems have flared up worse again and i cant find any cleanser on the shelves which isnt made with some form of coconut (or palm- which is related, right?)... these blemishes are driving me nuts! and SOMETHING has to be causing them... it just doesnt seem to make any sense to think, o well, thats just how my body is....

i'd allready given up cosmetics (except when going out- becoz it is truly the pits feeling you look like a MethMama) and creams... now using olive oil only. the only other things going on my skin for the past few months have been Thayer's witch hazel toner, and clear liquid stevia drops. olive oil & witch hazel have at least been soothing, and so far stevia is the ONLY thing i have found which actually encourages fresh skin to form... otherwise, all those little scabs just stay there for weeks and weeks before any sort of healing occurs.

so i confess ive been worrying about developing yet another autoimmune thing... finally thought, well i cant know if i dont eliminate EVERYTHING else first... i allready know a bunch of cosmetics chemicals that bother me & it seems like they are mostly coconut derivatives, plus having had that red skin reaction to coconut oil...or sulphites in it?... altho the label was organic & clean...

anyway. the skin cleanser ive been using for awhile now is Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash and it is just:
Castille Soap- Coconut Oil- Olive Oil- Tea Tree Oil- Chamomile- Goldenseal- Awapuhi- Bladderwrack- Palmarosa- Petitgrain- Lavender- & Peppermint. Seems clean, no chems, but still...

i have been using the Tallow soap for the past 3 days instead, and have had zero new spots and very little itching for 2 days. first time that has happened in 2 years! stevia stopped the burning, becoz i think that was secondary bacteria setting in. the combination of Olive Oil, Witch Hazel & Stevia seems to be definitely headng the right direction... but nothing worked to stop new spots from constantly popping up. tiny, yes. but still daily.

i think... no i hope... the tallow milk soap just MIGHT be the missing piece that was needed.... that getting rid of the coconut becoz for me, it seems to be yet another thing that is turning out to be very bad medicine. (boo hoo!)

ok, so now the question is... Does anyone know of a good, clean label, safe soap that is also COCONUT-FREE?? i suppose it ought to be Palm-Free also, since the 2 are related and both tend to be heavily processed into other body-product chems... (which for all i know, is why this new sensitivity has happened at all)
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 19, 2010 - 9:27 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

bo'nana, you could try a pure castille soap: http://www.amazon.com/Kiss-My-Face-Olive-1-Bar/dp/B0000532YN This one is supposed to be pure olive oil soap (true castille) and I think it is really corn-free and pretty widely available. You can look for others on this list: http://corn-freefoods.blogspot.com/2007/12/corn-free-foods-products-list-dec-2007.html

You can also try the oil cleansing method: http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com/ I have heard very good things about it. I have a very simple rule for my toiletries these days: I don't put it on my skin unless I could eat it.
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 19, 2010 - 9:29 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I forgot to say that you need to make sure it is a good quality olive oil that you are using. Look for brands on the list.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 19, 2010 - 10:34 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i love the idea of the oil cleansing method kirsty. ill have a good read of that later. I have yet to find face products that dont aggrivate my skin. For years now i have just cleansed with an olive oil soap bar my dad sends me over from Crete. Its the only thing i ever found that didnt irritate my skin.
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 19, 2010 - 11:00 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i am going to try the oil cleanse also- thank you kristy! where DO you hear of these things??
the article would seem to make good sense, to my sense of reason and also recent experience (olive oil being so much more soothing than any lotion)
i will hunt for that olive oil bar also, for hand washing... tho something about other Kiss My Face products has left me uncomfortable in the past, i havent seen this one before!

thank you! it is good to have new options (and if all else fails, maybe i can start buying olive oil soap from crete too ... hey, ali- your dad could find his products quite in demand here in the states :-)
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 19, 2010 - 11:59 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

next time i speak to my dad ill ask if he can still get it. He sent me five bars last year and i havent used it all up yet. Its sold in little shop just round the corner from him and made locally. Ive no idea what else is in it because its labelled in greek of course. Ill get him to see can he find out the ingredients list. Ill let you know whats in it as soon as i find out.
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2010 - 5:25 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I really love my local soapmakers. They make special stuff just for me and seem to appreciate having the information that I give them about avoiding unpure basic ingredients. I participate in many different forums but most have to do with natural and wholesome solutions, avoiding corn, living with allergies, whole food diets and nutrition. I love it when I come across a real gem on one of them.
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 8:21 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i found the Kiss My Face Olive Oil bar at my local New Seasons market- and i love the ingredient list (saponified olive oil-water-sodium chloride) WOW! soap with NOTHING in it!

guess i missed it before becoz none of the other kiss my face products have a clean label. this time i read EVERY soap label in the store. sure enough, this was the only one there that seems safe for me to try. and none of the liquid soaps- yikes!

so i drove out to the big store and found they stock a much wider variety: Most still made with coconut/palm oils...some with palm only... and a few more with olive oil. i even found one more that is made with only olive oil, no colours or fragrances or preservatives, no nothing else-
"Aptera of Greece Olive Oil Soap, produced by ABEA Cooperative Hania (since 1889)" ingredients are just Saponified Olive Oil-Water-Mineral Salts. HOORAY for variety!
...ali, wouldnt it be too funny if this is the same soap your dad sends you?

for now i am still using the homemade tallow milk soap from my friend, and my skin is still holding its own...no new spots for a whole week! ahhhh... sweet relief.
except for the nite i decided to test a sample packet of some dermatologist/spa fancy schmancy cleanser "especially formulated for problem skin"- the next day i had 3 new sore, tender patches. i am certain if i kept using their fixit formula, the spots would return just like that... so in the bin with it, goodbye!

i think my vague plan now is to keep using the tallow soap until the remaining spots finish healing... then when my skin is totally clear (there's hope!) i will try out each of the olive oil bars. then after a couple months if there is no reaction, i will try one of the other Kiss My Face olive oil bars and see if any of their added fragrance or preservatives cause any issues.... if not, eventually, i will reintroduce a clean label soap with palm, then finally coconut...

now that things are finally clearing up, this could actually be fun! ... ive tried sooooo many things over the past two years, but it doesnt make any difference when everything still contains a common base that is the root of the problem in the first place... especially when it isnt supposed to be problematic at all...
all my thanks to all of you, i couldnt have made this connection without your tips and input! i know this thread was totally off the topic of msg, but it was still such a frustrating and plaguing problem and everyone here is always so helpful & willing to offer advice and suggestions from their own personal experiences... and that is really something that makes this board very very special
cheers (:
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 9:58 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is indeed the same soap my dad sends me. Ive just got off the phone to him and he gave me the ingredients list. Its not the same make, but exactly the same ingredients. I hope your as happy with your find as i have been. Ive stuck with it now for a couple of years. Its the only thing ive found that Isla can tolerate. Doesnt cause her eczema to flare up at all. Happy days. I really hope you like it Bo'nana...Ill tell my dad he missed the boat on shipping out the states and making his fortune hehe. x
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 10:51 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

my brother's 2 little girls get eczema also, really badly at times... i think i will send him a couple bars of these soaps and tell him what you said- thanx ali :-)
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 11:13 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yes thats a great idea bo'nana. ive tried every commercial eczema brand and they all contain hydrolised something or other or citric acid. Isla actually has no eczema with a clean diet. So i feel her eczema was definately a result of msg or other additive ,preservative or some "food" nasty. But if i put something on her skin it flares up. I only use soap on her once a week for the rest i just bathe her or wash her in warm water. Ive had no issues with using this soap once a week, havent been brave enough to use it daily though.
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 6:31 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...okaaayyyy... time for yet another update on the blemishy skin/falling hair thang :-)

so, after fighting whatever it is for 2 years now, and discovering some things that help (for awhile, anyway) and others that don't (or that just make it worse)...
plus looooooads more research (becoz its still really driving me CRAZY)
here's the latest theory- ive got Mange. ha ha. no, really- evidently the same type of mites that cause issues for the family pet can also cause issues for hoomans too.

now i know this seems really off topic for msg... but maybe not so much... apparantly, when the ph balance of the stomach is off (as in, not enough stomach acid) so is the ph balance of the skin & scalp: thus creating a perfectly sweet cozy habitat for the kreepy little kruds. well if thats the case, then NO WONDER this has been so tough to beat!! and NO WONDER hair loss is suddenly epidemic all over the states (just google 'sudden hair loss' or 'hair loss research' if that sounds strange). and NO WONDER rosacea and so-called 'adult acne' is on the rise as well.

here's a couple links for anyone who wants to read more...
www.ehow.com/way_5325846_using-buckthorn-oil-hair-growth.html
http://rosacea-support.org/alternative-treatments-for-demodex-mites

a plague of skin mites- such a grooooossss concept. tho after reading up on it, and seeing how amazingly well all the symptoms match, i am actually feeling hopeful that maybe- just maybe- THIS time ive got it. and will be able to kick it in the tookus.
...i really, really want my ordinary old skin and hair back.

so, i went right out & splurged on Sea Buckthorn with Ester-C from Aubrey and another bottle of Witch Hazel (i knew i was on the right track with that), this time a 'redness reducing' formula from Humphrey's that has Sea Buckthorn extract, plus cucumber and other 'soothing' herbs added...
stay tuned for the next dramatic installment of this exciting saga...

btw, anyone else noticed how many 'redness reducing formulas' are SUDDENLY on the market these days?? ....hmmmm
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 8:41 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

bo'nana, Be careful with Sea Buckthorn with Ester-C since it does have corn and soy additives in it. My son and I had thinning hair (he was only 15) and we have seen huge improvement since we removed all corn and soy additives and started amping up the nutrient density of our food. We can see actual new growth on his head and my hair is noticeably thicker.

One of the things that helped with hair loss and my rosacea was going all natural and pure. We used nothing but pure coconut oil soap or pure olive oil soap in the shower for hair and body - this really made a difference in my rosacea when nothing else did. I don't use any kind of cosmetics on my face, either. Only pure virgin coconut oil for moisturizer. BTW, hairspray makes my rosacea come back so stay away from it! From my experiences, I think rosacea is an allergic reaction. It will still flare to this day if I accidentally ingest something with corn or soy, but that is the only time I have it anymore. I know of two people on the avoiding corn forum that get those horrible cyst acne from corn exposure and they take months to go away so I counted myself lucky I only got rosacea. See if there is anything else still in your diet that you are reacting to. Dust off the old food journal and see if you can find a connection.

Also, from my research I deduced that our hair loss was related to malabsorption of B vitamins and biotin from an imbalance of beneficial bacteria in our gut. (I think this is pretty common with food allergies but not well known) Thus, we increased the amount of B vitamins we were taking in naturally (lots of grassfed liver and pastured eggs, LOTS!) and used the fermented veggies and raw dairy ferments (homemade goat milk kefir and sauerkraut) to increase the digestive enzymes and bacteria so that we could absorb what we were taking in better. It took a little while for us to see results, but now it is an obvious difference. My son thinks I am a genius! (even though he isn't thrilled with eating so much liver - Haha)

I guess you could probably do the same thing by taking a B complex supplement and probiotic capsules from the store, but with a corn allergy that wasn't an option for us. (And what's the fun in that?! Haha) Even if you aren't allergic to corn you may want to avoid those things because of FGA and GMOs (which are contraindicated for anyone with allergies). I was unable to find any B vitamin supplements (even compounded) without at least a little corn but did find probiotics that were safe:
http://www.customprobiotics.com/
HTH, Kristy
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 9:31 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

bo'nana,

Have you tried a selenium sulfide shampoo? They're said to kill mange mites on contact.

http://www.ehow.com/way_5174324_cheyletiella-mange-treatment.html
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, September 12, 2010 - 7:39 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

roy, i am afraid to risk it with anything sulfur based anymore... ive had such bad hairloss from SLS/SLES and olefin sulfonate. plus back when this first started i tried a dermatologist shampoo that was sulfur based and my 'scalp psoriasis' (?) only got worse. after i got rid of anything with a sulfa derivative in it, the scaly placques eventually disappeared and havent been back.

i did just get a bar of NEEM oil based soap, as ive never tried that. going to test it for this morning's shampoo.

kristy, i agree with you- i also tend to think that in most cases, Rosacea is a reaction and not an actual condition of itself. when i developed mine, of course the standard doctorly response was "avoid coffee, black tea, spicy foods and the sun"... all advice which promptly went in the bin. ive been drinking coffee since i was 15 and eating chiles my entire life with no problems. i lived in the desert until my mid-30's, moved to the drizzly NW and NOW sun is suddenly a problem? i dont think so! ...besides, the redness definitely comes and goes on its own, regardless of any of the above 'factors'. its the itching and chronic little sores which are so frustratingly constant!

so ive been trying to figure out what suddenly changed about 2 years ago, or in the past 5 years when i started developing health issues. Soy and all those so-called 'organic' additives in everything now must be the triggers.... theyre what caused my digestion to go all out of whack in the first place. and yes, i too have had probems stemming from imbalances of b-vites ever since. also low stomach acid...(almost nonexistent for awhile!)... which is part of the reason i'm now suspecting the mites. i guess everyone has them- just like bacteria, yeast, viruses, etc. they just start multiplying out of control when your skin or scalp allows it... which happens when your gut ph is messed up for an extended amount of time, as mine was (apparantly still is?)

of course without expensive lab testing, i cant KNOW this is truly the problem... but as the cost of seeing a dermatologist alone puts it out of the question, im just back to trying on new, hopefully educated, theories and experimenting for a solution.

and of course youre so right, it could be so much worse- could be that awful cystic acne...or morgellons. EW :P

well, i have to say i think the Sea Buckthorn seems to be doing SOMETHING... ive been massaging it in twice a day for 2 days, its been really soothing when i first put it on, and noticeably less redness... but so far just about 10-12 hours after each application, me face begins to tickle and tingle. last nite the sensation even spread across my whole scalp and then down my chest and arms to my hands. ugh! i wanted to scratch soooo bad, i swear it honestly feels like millions of tiny invisible bugs on the move. at this point i have no idea whether thats really what is happening or if i am experiencing some sort of 'phantom' reaction as i obviously wish to be done with this so badly (tho i really am not someone given to hallucination or phantasy), or even if the sensation might be directly caused by the sea buckthorn? all i know is, it definitely happens... it is happening again right now, all over my scalp and arms and i am going to go hop in the shower becoz that consistently makes it go away.

i am going to use the neem bar on my hair and scalp. then, i am going to reapply the buck thorn and witch hazel, and wait to see what happens next.

aaahhh ha ha ha ha haaaaa.... i feel like a mad scientist :-)
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, September 12, 2010 - 2:08 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

bo'nana,
Sorry the suggestion can't be used, and not sure wheher a dermatologist would help much, either. Please keep us posted on your progress.
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, September 15, 2010 - 9:58 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi gize,
here's another update on the skin thang...
i'm not going to write anything more here as i know its really off topic for msg... but here is a link to another forum specifically dealing with Demodex Rosacea.
(my post is at the end. still "bo'nana")

http://rosacea-support.org/demodex-mites-treatment/comment-page-3#comment-44690
cheers all!
Pamela
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 09, 2011 - 7:46 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I have been having even more problems with msg since I have been gluten free. Seems any tiny bit sets me off with headaches, joint pain and worse. Anyway I am thinking it may be in my loratadine and aI am wondering if there is a list that I can find to give me alias msg for medication names
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 09, 2011 - 12:23 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pamela,

Your symptoms could very well be caused by the Claritin/loratadine. Based on the website's warning the disintegrating tablets apparently have aspartame. If that's the type you're on I'd stop taking them immediately and switch to something safer.

"This product may contain aspartame. If you have phenylketonuria (PKU) or any other condition that requires you to restrict your intake of aspartame (or phenylalanine), consult your doctor or pharmacist about using this drug safely."

http://www.medicinenet.com/loratadine_dispersible_tablet-oral/page2.htm
sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 09, 2011 - 12:42 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

some of these products do contain aspartame - alavert sure does

but you might be running into the same problem I am experiencing in that I think I am reacting to a filler in a Rx med when the manufacturer of the generic was changed this last fill - I assume my problem is pregelatinized starch but really any of these fillers could be the problem - I know I react adversely to Red # 40 also

who makes the generic you have been taking and did you recently change bottles or stores you got it from?
sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 09, 2011 - 5:11 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the generic claritan I have has pregelatinized starch in it (walmart purchase) - I haven't taken any for 2 months but I do see in my notes that I had an increase in symptoms I am tracking right after the last time I took it - interesting
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 09, 2011 - 11:17 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sara,

I put notes on the bottle itself if I suspect a reaction.
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 5:04 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi pamela,
i thought id put in a caution about the gluten-free part... i always see an uptick in symptoms whenever i try to go GF too.
the problem for me is that i can never manage to go very long without craving bread of some kind, and i seem to react to certain ingredients in most of the premade GF bready type items...

Common GF ingredients that cause a lot of problems for the chemically sensitive:
*SOY flour & by-products.
*Fava flour & by-products
*other bean by-products
*GUMS especially Xanthan, Arabica, Cellulose Gum etc. (guar may or may not be a problem).
*CARAGEENAN aka AGAR aka Seaweed Gel etc- bad news in any form!
*FIBERS especially Cellulose, which is essentially heavily chemically processed wood pulp.
*YEASTS- i suspect different kinds are used as GF flours tend to be so dense. also problem yeasts are used in cheese flavouring, smokey or bbq, etc.

ive found i can do GF just fine, as long as i stay away from all GF bakery items. in other words, i need to stick to rice & cooked grains, rice cakes and homemade GF flatbreads, very boring- but safe.
i do have a couple good rice flour/millet flour recipes for things like banana bread, almond cookies, & pancakes but so far none of my searching for a good sandwich bread has paid off. all the commercial ones are very heavily processed & ive reacted to all i have tried. so for now i stick to a plain white sourdough which causes no problems i can see. (so i dont think i am celiac for that reason, just sensitive to several varieties of wheat &/or processing residues in most wheat flours) oh, i cant do oats or oat flour either... but that may just be my own odd quirk, oat sensitivity doesnt seem very common

anyway, all that to say- you may want to re-examine your own GF repertoire for hidden trouble, its possible that one or more ingredients are making you even more sensitive in your other reactions
Phyl
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2011 - 6:18 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just read an article from Weston A. Price foundation, which talks about the health benefits of lacto fermented products, such as whey, saurkraut, etc. I was under the impression that these products contain msg and are not good for us. Am I correct or am I misunderstanding?
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2011 - 3:57 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know we are all saavy and really careful about reading labels, but most people aren't:

Truth in Labeling?

With the economy still keeping our wallets clamped shut, no one wants to feel duped at the checkout counter. Yet, savvy food marketers have managed to tap into all our concerns over food safety and purity, labeling their products with words in phrases that, at best, are pointless, and at worst, are illegal. Here are 10 of the most deceptive marketing claims out there that make processed foods and factory-farmed meats appear much healthier than they really are.

http://www.rodale.com/10-food-label-lies?cm_mmc=TheDailyFixNL-_-730080-_-11112011-_-10_food_label_lies
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2011 - 3:41 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good article, Di. I wish everyone were aware of the deceptions.

http://www.schooltube.com/video/66aa3cbb5d91038dfda3/Food-Inc-part-1-of-15-full-movie-stream
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 6:27 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If this isn't shocking I don't know what is.
From a book "The Terror of Pediatric Medicine" online at: http://www.scribd.com/doc/14788103/The-Terror-of-Pediatric-Medicine Page 13

Medical officials told reporters recently that they are worried that concerns over possible connections between autism and the mercury-containing preservative thimerosal are discouraging parents from vaccinating children against a host of infectious diseases. "The science tells us very clearly that vaccines save lives and protect our children," CDC Director Dr. Julie M. Gerberding told reporters. So even if vaccines are a principle cause of autism it is not in the best interest of public health to stop the autism epidemic. Gerberding and other officials stress that childhood vaccines have virtually erased diseases like polio, diphtheria, and measles, which once killed thousands of U.S. children. So it is really worth it to sacrifice hundreds of thousands of children to a disease like autism as long as these ancient plagues are kept at bay. This is the voice of medical immorality speaking

Kennedy Jr. was interviewed by Sheryl Atkinson of CBS News who asked him if he could name some of the high ranking medical officials with whom he consulted in the public health field. Kennedy responded saying, "Well, Marie McCormick, who is the chair of the IOM committee that exonerated thimerosal, Kathleen Stratton that is the chief of staff of the committee that exonerated thimerosal; Steve Goodman who is on that committee, Paul Offitt and many others. I was talking to the top people and found that when you really questioned them about it they would say, 'well even if it is true these kids are part of the national sacrifice. We have to sacrifice these kids, in order to make sure that all of us stay healthy.'"
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 6:49 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not only should we be worried about FGA....

"The use of pesticides and the presence of genetically-modified organisms (GMOs) are not the only major differentiating factors between conventional food and organic food. According to GreenMedInfo.com, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) allows the conventional food supply to be irradiated with nuclear waste at extremely high levels, and also treated with deadly bacteriophage virus "cocktails" in order to make it "safe" for consumers.

It is a dirty little secret of the factory food industry, and one that has remained largely veiled thanks to a lack of effective regulation concerning proper labeling. But everything from herbs and spices to vegetables and fruit is effectively murdered with Cobalt-60 gamma radiation derived from the waste of nuclear reactors before being sold to customers.

According to data listed on the FDA's own website, fresh conventional foods are typically blasted with 1 kilogray (kGy) of gamma radiation, which is the equivalent of 16,700,000 chest X-rays, or 333 times the human lethal dose. Fresh poultry and red meat are subjected to 3 kGys and 4.5 kGys, respectively, with frozen red meat subjected to radiation blasts as high as 7 kGys.

The FDA has approved gamma radiation doses of 10 kGys for enzyme preparations, which include various food additives, solvents, preservatives, and antioxidants. And spices, herbs, and seasonings are permitted to be blasted with an astounding 30 kGys of gamma radiation, which is the equivalent of 500,000,000 chest X-rays, or 10,000 times the human lethal dose.

This nuclear warfare against food most certainly destroys vital nutrients, vitamins, and minerals, and also creates a number of toxic byproducts in the process. These include formaldehyde, a toxin used in rat poison, as well as benzene, formic acid, and various radiolytic products like 2-alkylcyclobutanones that are known to cause cytotoxic (cell damage), genotoxic (DNA damage), and carcinogenic (cancer-causing) damage.

Beyond radiation, conventional food is often quietly sprayed with bacteriophage virus cocktails that supposedly kill other dangerous bacteria that might be lurking on food. Without public review or oversight, the FDA declared in 2006 that this form of biological warfare is "Generally Recognized As Safe" (GRAS), but most people have no idea it is being applied to the food they eat.

Other countries are aware of all this, though, as many have stopped importing food from the US in response. GMOs, dangerous pesticides and herbicides, nuclear radiation, and virus cocktails are unacceptable to most of the rest of the world, but are apparently just fine for Americans. This is all just one more reason to stick to organic food."

http://www.naturalnews.com/034156_meat_radioactive.html#ixzz1dyhOHo8x
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 9:15 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just to add to this for any Europeans reading this board, here are a couple of links for anyone wanting to look further.
http://ec.europa.eu/food/food/biosafety/irradiation/comm_legisl_en.htm

http://www.food.gov.uk/safereating/rad_in_food/irradfoodqa/

I must say i only recently heard of food irradiation. Its certainly not heavily broadcast!! I have never once seen a product labeled as irradiated here in Europe...but thats not to say they arent on the market. Ill be taking a closer look for sure!!
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 1:34 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I haven't seen it in the US, but here is the symbol that is supposed to be stamped on food when it has been irradiated. A pretty little plant isn't it?

http://www.farmtoconsumer.org/aa/aa-23sep2008.htm
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 9:57 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for that Di, i was just wondering of they used a symbol not the word here, as i havent seen it on anything. Ill check if i can find a symbol for europe and post any findings. That symbol is so deceptive! If i didnt now know better i would think its relating to it being plant based and nothing more. The article also says that the word pasturised is an acceptable word to use to show irradiation????????????????????????????? :-(
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 10:06 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LABELLING OF IRRADIATED FOODS
Any irradiated food, or food containing an irradiated
ingredient within the EU must carry the word
“irradiated” in a prominent position either as part
of the main label or next to the ingredient that
has been irradiated. It may also (optionally) show
the international icon for irradiated food called the
“Radura” symbol:

http://www.irishhealth.com/clin/documents/Irradiated_Food_Leaflet.pdf

We have the same symbol here in Europe. The word irradiated must also be on the label in a prominent position.
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2013 - 3:06 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aspartame and other sweeteners added to dairy???

It is my understanding that The International Dairy Foods Association (IDFA) and the National Milk Producers Federation (NMPF) have filed a petition with the FDA asking the FDA to alter the definition of "milk" to secretly include chemical sweeteners such as aspartame and sucralose.

Importantly, none of these additives need to be listed on the label. They will simply be swept under the definition of "milk," so that when a company lists "milk" on the label, it automatically includes aspartame or sucralose. And if you're trying to avoid aspartame, you'll have no way of doing so because it won't be listed on the label.

This isn't only for milk, either: It's also for yogurt, cream, sour cream, eggnog, whipping cream and a total of 17 products, all of which are listed in the petition at FDA.gov. As the petition states:

IDFA and NMPF request their proposed amendments to the milk standard of identity to allow optional characterizing flavoring ingredients used in milk (e.g., chocolate flavoring added to milk) to be sweetened with any safe and suitable sweetener -- including non-nutritive sweeteners such as aspartame.

This is all being done to "save the children," we're told, because the use of aspartame in milk products would reduce calories.

Read the full article here:

https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2013/02/20/2013-03835/flavored-milk-petition-to-amend-the-standard-of-identity-for-milk-and-17-additional-dairy-products

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out