Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Tea Bags - A Surprising Source of Pot...

Battling the MSG Myth » Other Harmful Substances and Sensitivities (Aspartame, L-Cysteine, preservatives, pesticides, environmental toxins) » Tea Bags - A Surprising Source of Potential Toxins « Previous Next »

Pat
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, May 02, 2013 - 1:35 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Story at-a-glance
Some tea bags are made with plastic, such as nylon, thermoplastic, PVC or polypropylene. While these plastics have high melting points, the temperature at which the molecules in polymers begin to break down is always lower than the melting point, which could allow the bags to leach compounds of unknown health hazards into your tea when steeped in boiling water

Paper tea bags are frequently treated with epichlorophydrin, which hydrolyzes to 3-MCPD when contact with water occurs. 3-MCPD is a carcinogen associated with food processing that has also been implicated in infertility and suppressed immune function

I recommend purchasing tea from manufacturers who can certify that their tea bags do not contain epichlorophydrin, and avoid plastic tea bags. Your best option is to opt for loose tea. Instructions for brewing tea using loose tea leaves are included

When selecting tea of any kind, it should preferably be organic (to avoid pesticides) and grown in a pristine environment (tea is known to accumulate fluoride, heavy metals and other toxins from soil and water, so a clean growing environment is essential to producing a pure, high-quality tea)

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/04/24/tea-bags.aspx

At a recent event, I consumed Lipton tea (bag) & had an allergic reaction.

Celestial Seasonings advised they use chlorine-free heat sealed fiber for their bags. I've never had a reaction from Celestial tea bags.

At home, I use loose tea leaves.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page