Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Toxins in clothing and other materials

Battling the MSG Myth » Other Harmful Substances and Sensitivities (Aspartame, L-Cysteine, preservatives, pesticides, environmental toxins) » Toxins in clothing and other materials « Previous Next »

AdaLovelace
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2012 - 8:53 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone on this board have an interest in organic clothing? I recently did a big order of clothes from China, only to find that they smell like bug spray. :-( Now I know you might be thinking "obviously, you ordered them from China!" But most of our clothes are manufactured overseas, and my rationale was that I read somewhere that China has more stringent rules for the materials they produce for locals than those they produce only for export. However judging by the "new clothes smell," that probably is not true.

So what do you guys think? Do you try to buy second hand? Does anyone spend the extra money on organic clothing? It can be very expensive. I saw a special on the news about how fake leather handbags tend to have high contents of lead, which ends up getting ingested since it gets over all of your stuff.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2012 - 10:10 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi there, i cant find a good source of organic clothing here in Ireland. By and large i shop for clothes in Charity Shops (thrift shops in the US??).Ive grown to love rummaging around in these places and its a win win i find. Money to good causes, more clothes for my money and ive found some real bargains. But that said, i do sometimes walk past real shops saying "Oh look clothes no one else has worn!" with a sigh!He he! But all in all i fair well in the charity shops. Also we have clothes swapping parties. This involves a group of us girls bringing all our unwanted clothes and a few cold ones or bottle of wine and quite literally swapping our old clothes. Such fun. Anything left over we put in the old clothes collection. Its a cheap and fun evening with friends. :-)
http://www.thehungersite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=1 This link has links to organic clothing sites. I havent personally bought anything from them yet.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page