Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Meat Glue aka Transglutaminase (TG)...

Battling the MSG Myth » Other Harmful Substances and Sensitivities (Aspartame, L-Cysteine, preservatives, pesticides, environmental toxins) » Meat Glue aka Transglutaminase (TG) « Previous Next »

Pat
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2011 - 1:15 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

TG is either derived from meat blood or from the same manufacturer of msg. Either way, it's BAD and disgusting!

TG ingredients can contain at least one of these neurotoxic contaminants: Sodium Caseinate, Maltodextrin, Gelatin

Chicken glued with Beef enzymes. Beef glued with Pork enzymes. Is nothing sacred anymore?

WHAT IS MEAT GLUE?

Like any industry, meat suppliers want to move as much product as possible. That's why they don't like meat scraps. They can't sell small chunks of meat. So they stick smaller chunks together with meat glue. You won't believe what you're eating.

Watch Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydzIlKJmwV4

The world leader in transglutaminase…..the same mfgr of MSG: http://www.activatg.com/

Enlightening: http://blog.foodfacts.com/index.php/category/transglutaminase/

What is TG?
Sodium Caseinate, Maltodextrin & Transglutaminase or
Sodium Caseinate, Gelatin, Trisodium Phosphate, Maltodextrin, Transglutaminase & Safflower Oil

Food Safety Alert: The Problem With Meat Glue
April 21st, 2011. By Hunter West

Oh, you haven’t heard of meat glue? The food industry loves the stuff—and for good reason. Anything that would allow the morphing of a bucket of meat bits, like stewing beef for example, into what looks like a Grade A steak and commands a Grade A price at the counter, is akin to manna from heaven.

To the untrained eye (meaning, you and me), it’s impossible to tell the difference. It looks like a steak. It grills like a steak. It tastes like a steak. But it’s not a steak, but rather chunks of meat that in a previous era would have been sold as stewing beef for a lot less than the kind of price a steak commands. But mix in some meat glue, roll it up and after six hours in the refrigerator, out comes a gelled roll that can be sliced into a series of lovely-looking, boneless steaks.

The potential for fraud is obvious. Beyond the deception, however, why did the European Union ban meat glue last year?

First, the back-story of what meat glue is. In fact, meat glue is actually an enzyme derived from thrombin and fibrogen, which is obtained from the blood plasma of swine and cattle. This is the stuff that causes blood to clot—and it also does a spiffy job, it turns out, of knitting small bits of meat together to appear like more expensive-looking steaks.

Is meat glue harmful? Well, the European Food Safety Authority gave meat glue a positive safety opinion in 2005, only to ban it five years later. And a butcher participating in a story about meat glue on Australian television admonished the visiting reporter to don a protective mask (as did the butcher) prior to working with the meat glue enzyme that comes packaged in powdered form.
Apparently it’s not harmful to eat—but you don’t want to breathe the stuff in.

Okay, so beyond the deception delivered by meat glue, what’s the problem?

The concern, says a microbiologist interviewed by ‘TodayTonight’ television in Australia, is microbial. “If this food is sold, or represented as a solid piece of steak—and you cook it rare—you’re really leaving yourself open to get food poisoning.”

To that point when you have a bunch of smaller pieces of meat with outside surface area already exposed to air and potential bacterial or microbial infection, now combined into a larger, single piece—it’s harder to cook such a hybrid thoroughly.

“The amount of bacteria in one steak that’s been put together with meat glue is hundreds of times higher.”

What’s more, transglutaminase enzyme can be used in beef, pork, lamb, poultry and even fish to bind smaller bits together to make a larger piece. But you never know what you’re getting. For example, beef can be bound with meat glue fashioned from pigs. Pork can be bound with meat glue derived from cattle. And so it goes. If you have an aversion for any of those meats, it could be a problem for you.

The Australian investigative reporters noted that purveyors of meat glue are so good at their craft, it is almost impossible for even experienced butchers to tell the difference between the two. And meat that is glued together is allegedly everywhere—restaurants, the meat counter at supermarkets, and so it goes.

Provided you like your meat well done on the grill, meat glue may not be an issue for you. But if you like your steak rare, you could be playing with fire if the comments from the Aussie microbiologist are any indication. You may take home a fresh slab of meat from the butcher. You might even slice off the end pieces before grilling, just to make sure that your dripping rare piece of steak won’t come back to bite you in the gut…

But that fresh slab of meat may not be a fresh slab at all, but a glued specimen. And you never know the age, or the health of those pieces before they were glued together.

So…it appears that glued meat, unless it is thoroughly cooked, carries the potential for serious illness.

Not to mention the utter fraud of selling a nice-looking steak at premium prices, when in actual fact it’s not a steak at all but stewing beef glued together to look like a steak.
Check the price difference between a quality steak and a couple of pounds of stewing beef.
It’s enough to make you see red…

And if you fall ill from a piece of glued meat sold as fresh, there could be a variety of litigation defendants to choose from.

Tags: EU, fibrogen, Food Poisoning, meat additive, meat glue, thrombin

This entry was posted on Thursday, April 21st, 2011 and is filed under Defective Products, Drugs/Medical, Food Illness. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/blog/food-safety-alert-the-problem-with-meat-glue-07540.html
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2011 - 2:14 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Doesn't sound kosher to me, and it's used in more than just steaks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transglutaminase
Pat
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2011 - 8:22 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since 1989, TG is the Sci-Fi of food. They’ve thought of every application. TIU is their Kosher version. Apply the GS version to raw meat & it can be left out on the counter all day long. At $60 per 1 kilo and a shelf life of 18 mos, it’s very popular. The FDA has classified TG as GRAS.

It also strengthens dough, thickens dairy (yogurt & cheese), and increases yield all at the expense of our health. It permeates our food supply. You can find it used in restaurants, by caterers, supermarkets & even by butchers. Their dirty little secret is now transparent.

However, the public has a right to know & choose. We can’t avoid what we don’t know our food is being bombarded with.

I will now avoid restaurant food. At home, we’ll eat meat on the bone. And we’ll continue to avoid meat saturated / injected with additives. We will vote with our wallets & inform others via the internet & social media sites.

More info follows:

TG and Types of TG
Ajinomoto is the only producer of food grade TG, marketed under the brand name Activa (not Activia, which is a pro-biotic yogurt for women). Ajinomoto offers Activa to individuals in 1 pound increments. A kilo currently costs roughly $60 and will glue over 100 pounds of meat paste and a substantially larger amount of whole muscle pieces. Activa is also available through some online retailers. Activa is not pure TG, as the pure form is too concentrated to use easily. Instead, Ajinomoto blends TG with fillers (maltodextrin, a break-down product of starch) and other functional ingredients to suit the end needs of the user. The types available are:

• Activa RM: Most chefs use RM, which is designed to bond even problem foods like chicken breasts and cooked meats. RM is a mixture of TG, maltodextrin, and the helper protein sodium caseinate. Sodium caseinate is a water soluble protein derived from milk, and TG bonds it extremely well. The caseinate in Activa RM fills in the gaps between the pieces being glued, making up for any lack of available protein in the food itself. RM can be sprinkled on like a powder, mixed with 4 times its weight in water to make a slurry, or added directly into meat mixtures. Even if a recipe doesn’t require the extra bonding insurance caseinate provides, there is no disadvantage to having it mixed with the TG. For most applications, RM is the only TG you will ever need.

• Activa GB: GB (“greatest bond”) is a mixture of TG, maltodextrin, gelatin, and an anti-caking agent. Gelatin is bonded extremely well by TG and therefore Activa GB forms strong bonds. It is not as versatile as RM because it cannot be made into a slurry, it is more sensitive to water, and it has a shorter working time. If you need a stronger bond, GB is useful.

• Activa GS: GS is the newest addition to the Activa line. It is nice because it can be left out on the counter all day without going bad. Like GB, it is a mixture of TG, maltodextrin, and gelatin, with added polyphosphate salts and a little oil. It is always used in the form of a slurry of 4 parts water to one part Activa GS. The polyphosphates make the slurry alkaline (basic, high pH). The enzyme is inactive at high pH, so the slurry is stable all day. Once the slurry is painted on meat, the pH drops, the enzymes become active, and gluing begins.

• Activa TI and TIU:TI is simply TG and maltodextrin with no added helper protein. TIU is the Kosher version of TI and is the only Kosher TG available. TI is packaged at twice the enzyme level as RM or GB. It can be sprinkled or made into a slurry. It will not bond as wide a range of foods as RM.

• Activa YG: YG a mixture of TG, lactose, maltodextrin, yeast extract, and safflower oil. It is designed to thicken and improve the texture of dairy systems like yogurt and cheese.

• Activa FP: FP is similar to RM but contains skim milk powder, which is friendlier on a nutrition label than caseinate (the useful part of skim milk powder). FP is useful for marketing a product that has an ingredients declaration.

http://www.cookingissues.com/primers/transglutaminase-aka-meat-glue/

Pat
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2011 - 3:30 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A comment after the article points out that it's not specifically identified on labels but is rather given a more general name:

"JML // Apr 19, 2011 at 11:45 am

I am very gluten intolerant so my “beef” with this stuff is that I react very badly to it, but it doesnt have to be disclosed on any label. Even if a product is labeled gluten free, it still can have this stuff in it & cause me major issues. I hope that in the near future it will be law to disclose its use & much more research will be done on its effects on the gluten intolerant!

davearnold // Apr 19, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Howdy JML,
TG has to be labeled “enzymes”.
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2011 - 4:27 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ive suspected reactions before to some "enzymes" and packaged meats, and not to others... this info clicks another piece into place, ugh.
thank you pat.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2011 - 10:46 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just sent this info off to everyone I know. It's amazing what food chemists are coming up with to poison us and make a buck.
Pat
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2011 - 6:38 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good point about being labeled as enzymes, Roy.

To save calves, think I read that the rennet used in cheese is now man-made. It may be labeled either rennin or microbial. So one would think the TG people would be more specific, rather than so broad. There are so few products it's not in.....thus it's hard to avoid.

I've followed the rules & like you bo'nana, had reactions to certain foods & not others. Yes, more pieces to the puzzle. I could use less challenges tho.

Yes, Deb, this is all in the name of greed. Butchers are in on this fraud too. Then we have to deal with Monsanto's Neotame (Sweeto) that someone posted on this board a while back. It tricks animals into eating putrid food.

And let's not forget the facade where they gas raw meat to keep it looking colorful past it's real expiration date.

Is it any wonder that people are sick? The food, drug, hospital & funeral industries are the ultimate beneficiaries.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2011 - 11:55 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The gassing of the meat was a new one on me. I hadnt heard of that until seeing it here on this board. But just this week in my local store they had some prepacked organic mince meat that was brown not red. It was right beside the "Normal" mince. The difference was clear to see. What was more alarming was hearing that people werent buying the organic because it looked off compared to the regular....AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHH!!! Ill take my chance with brown organic every time thankyou!!
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 11:25 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

but wait- here comes yet another ARRRGH thats now being found as making livestock sick- thus affecting the meat most of us are stuck buying- and even organic/free range/etc is or will be affected to some degree...

glyphosate from RoundUp & RoundUp Ready crops is damaging the guts & reproductive tracts of cattle, swine & chickens:

from GMWatch Monthly Review No. 91-
GM/ROUNDUP RISKS LATEST
-----------------------------------------------------------

+ HUBER UPDATE
After weeks of silence about the Dr Don Huber letter to the USDA that exposed troubling
preliminary research about Roundup/glyphosate, an update has been published on author
Steve McFadden's blog. It seems Huber's letter was NOT intended to go public, but was
leaked. When it was leaked, Huber was unavailable for answering questions or interviews
with the media due to a heavy travel schedule. It looks as if he will now be more available
and outspoken.

Huber reported on what he described as a newly discovered pathogen that Huber said is new
to science. This pathogen apparently increases in soil treated with glyphosate, he said,
and is then taken up by plants, later transmitted to animals via their feed, and onward
to human beings by the plants and meat they consume. The pathogen is extraordinarily
small. It can be observed only via an electron microscope operating at 38,000 power of
magnification. It has yet to be phenotyped or named, though that work is almost complete
and will be announced in a matter of weeks.

GM feed grown on glyphosate-treated fields irritates the stomach of livestock, such that
many farm animals are fed daily rations of bicarbonate of soda in an attempt to soothe
their stomach lining. Huber showed a slide bearing images of dissected hog stomachs - one
from a hog fed GMO feed and the other conventional feed. The GMO hog had a rudely
inflamed mass of stomach and intestinal tissue.
http://www.gmwatch.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=13021

+ HUBER WRITES TO EU AND U.S. ADMINISTRATIONS WARNING AGAINST MORE ROUNDUP READY
APPROVALS
Huber has written to the EU and US administrations warning them not to approve/release
any more GM Roundup Ready crops until science has established the significance of the new
pathogen. Huber wrote:

"Based on the scientific evidence currently accumulating, I do not believe it is in
the best interests of the agricultural producer or consuming public for regulatory
agencies to approve more GMO crops, particularly Roundup Ready alfalfa and sugar beets,
until independent research can establish their productivity when predisposed to
potentially severe diseases, the irrelevance of the new [micro-]organism, and their
nutritional equivalency."
http://www.gmwatch.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=13024

who wants more? -get ready for the New Improved Frankenmilk, now closer than ever to "human"
here's the blurp:

+ GM COWS PRODUCE HUMAN BREAST MILK
A spokesman for the Royal Society for the Protection of Animals said the organisation was
"extremely concerned" about how the GM cows had been produced. Helen Wallace,
director of biotechnology monitoring group GeneWatch UK, said: "We have major
concerns about this research to genetically modify cows with human genes. There are major
welfare issues with genetically modified animals as you get high numbers of still births.
There is a question about whether milk from these cows is going to be safe from humans
and it is really hard to tell that unless you do large clinical trials like you would a
drug, so there will be uncertainty about whether it could be harmful to some people.
Ethically there are issues about mass producing animals in this way."
http://bit.ly/gPs7oK

oy vey. i havent done any research on that last claim, i just saw it today. it does sound outrageous... and yet... i have to feel that, if there's a way someone will do it
i know i should be fighting mad but right now i just feel tired.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 4:14 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I believe they'll be fighting the environmental fallout from GMOs and roundup use for years and that it will be the public that pays, not the companies that flooded us with them.
Pat
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 11:14 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Expanding on bo'nana's excellent find, Dr. Mercola's website below provides recent statistics, names & dangers lurking within.

Just what we don't need more of: Monsanto's GM soybean oil with more Omega 3's in every product!

Currently, we're dealing with 300 GM Holstein cattle & milk containing a human protein called lysozyme.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/04/27/19-studies-link-gmo-foods-to-organ-disruption.aspx
Pat
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2011 - 12:17 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

INVISIBLE GM INGREDIENTS

http://nongmoshoppingguide.com/brands/invisible-gm-ingredients.html
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2011 - 2:41 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for posting this, Pat. This is a crime of major proportions.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page