Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Seaweed Fertilizer Okay??

Battling the MSG Myth » Other Harmful Substances and Sensitivities (Aspartame, L-Cysteine, preservatives, pesticides, environmental toxins) » Seaweed Fertilizer Okay?? « Previous Next »

shelia
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2011 - 11:29 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I grow a small herb garden in pots, and I use a watered-down organic seaweed and fish emulsion. My herbs love it.

Do you think this would be a problem if I have glutamate sensitivity?

I am just figuring this all out, which I am very excited about!
Melinda
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 31, 2011 - 1:52 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

shelia, I don't have an answer to your question but it's a good one. If the solution is in the soil and the herbs "drink" it up, I'd think they then would now have some of the constituents of the seaweed stuff in them. It may be so minute that it wouldn't cause a problem, especially since herbs are typically used in small amounts anyways. But then again, could depend on your level of sensitivity. You may just have to experiment to see - don't put it on all your plants, just one and test it out.
evelyn
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 31, 2011 - 6:31 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also fish emulsion, used on organic produce, is hydrolyzed fish protein. One of the reasons I opt (when possible) for natural, local grown as opposed to "organic" from who knows where, grown with who knows what. I just dont' trust it to be anything more than marketing, now that big corporations are involved...
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 12:31 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shelia, I have heard from several people who claim that they reacted to produce fertilized with fish fertilizer. When we get our garden ready in the spring we use chicken and horse manure....good old fashioned stuff. It is good on anything that grows..even herbs.
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 12:50 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

when i was growing up my family raised rabbits... we always dumped the refuse from the cages right into our garden soil for wonderful tomatos & peppers... seems bunny poo is one of the few manures that can be used fresh- no aging needed

i wonder what pet stores do with all theirs? maybe there's a resource there? hmmmm....
shelia
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 12:55 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My parents used rabbit poo as well. The problem is I live in an apartment, so spreading poop right around my door on my small patio probably isn't going to be popular.

The seaweed emulsion smells for a little bit but it goes away quickly.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 10:43 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

wow it never occured to me to use the rabbit poo from our rabbit on the garden....Needless to say thats were it will be going now!
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2011 - 6:19 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

he he, im there with you sheila.... darn this apartment living
ali, dont you just love these light bulb moments! :-) you just made my day!
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2011 - 11:21 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do indeed Bo'nana....i cant believe i never thought to toss it all on the garden. I do put it in the compost bin though. I mean how dim was i!!! Actually the rabbit wee goes someway to speeding up the composting ive been told. I think i will do half for the veg plot, half for the compost bin, because lets face it, who would wnat to try and seperate it out to wee and poop!!! :-)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page