Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Chinese Pinenuts - Bad Taste Reaction...

Battling the MSG Myth » Other Harmful Substances and Sensitivities (Aspartame, L-Cysteine, preservatives, pesticides, environmental toxins) » Chinese Pinenuts - Bad Taste Reaction, aka Pinemouth « Previous Next »

Evelyn
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 12, 2010 - 9:48 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had the dubious distinction of coming into contact with this little known issue, but word is spreading quickly. Smaller, darker, sometimes slightly bitter, sold I understand at TJs and other stores (costco is one, but I hear they have taken action to eliminate them). They cause a curious reaction that starts 1-2 days after eating. Food starts to taste bad and for me got progressively worse until I could take only one bit of a food, by the second I couldn't stand the taste well enough to eat it! Is said to last 2-3wks, though only 1 for me. New variety of pinenuts from China. Restaurants may substitute due to lower cost - should have realized they wouldn't put $10 of pinenuts on my pasta dish. About the silliest reaction I have ever had, don't know if there are long term issues if one can stomach them and/or decides to use them for weight loss... FYI - search for "Pinemouth" if you experience this, the FDA wants to know about it. They are supposedly trying to eliminate it from the market, as 20-30% of people are said have this reaction. And as I told the local health dept (if you got them at a restaurant, the FDA doesn't have jurisdication and refers you to local authority) the Bad Taste reaction does not extend to your taste in clothing or home furnishings, so it is safe to shop... :-)
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 12, 2010 - 10:22 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Evelyn thanks for the heads up and the great sense of humor, you made me chuckle Mariann

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page