Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Aluminum

Battling the MSG Myth » Other Harmful Substances and Sensitivities (Aspartame, L-Cysteine, preservatives, pesticides, environmental toxins) » Aluminum « Previous Next »

bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 11:15 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

this IS very interesting.
my older son (Tourette's- ADHD- PDDnos) had to go thru chelation a few years ago for elevated lead & merc. Chelation was absolutely horrible, he reacted to something in the chelant along with all the nasties being freed up & eliminated.

afterward the retest showed lead & merc levels cut in half... but quite interestingly, Aluminum nearly doubled. his naturopath explained to me that aluminum is harder to eliminate, his levels of freed aluminum having doubled indicated very high cellular levels.

i have wondered whether it might be a good idea to endure another round of chelation at some point... but honestly dread the thought of going thru the intense acting out again.

i know there is some connection between aluminum and seizure disorders, as well as hyperactivity. and my son simply cannot tolerate any drinks or foods packaged in aluminum- he gets really wacky & uncontrolled for hours after!!

anyone out there have any knowledge of whether liver detox herbs like cilantro and parsley might have any effect in reducing aluminum levels?
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 12:06 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Malic acid is said to reduce aluminum levels.

http://www.healingwithnutrition.com/fdisease/fibromyalgia/magnesiumstudy.html
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 12:10 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh wow....if i buy apple juice in the packs containing aluminium ( i forget the name for the packs) Isla has issues. I hadnt made the connection to the packets. I always buy cold pressed apple juice for Isla in glass bottles. I thought it was maybe a sulfite reaction to the processed apple juice. The other two have no issues with the juice. Also the other two can eat malted barley products (mainly weetabix cereal) with no issues at all yet it sends Isla wild. She craves it too. Ive had to start keeping it out of reach because if she gets hold of the box she will devour it dry out of the packet. Same with malted barley in biscuits, only Isla has an issue with them. This is really interesting.
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 4:02 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

bo'nana, I'm sorry to hear about your son and his elevated aluminum levels. I just spent about 45 minutes doing searches on it and am shocked to find so many ways for it to enter one's body and that it has quite a long half-life. What kept popping up was that it's added to our water, shocking. I have not yet come across treatment using herbs like cilantro and parsley, but will keep looking. If I come upon anything I will post it.

You probably know all this but perhaps someone else may benefit from it...

It is in aluminum coated waxed containers, used especially for orange and pineapple juices, cause juices inside to absorb aluminum.

Beer and soft drinks that are stored in aluminum cans also absorb small quantities of aluminum.

Food additives in cake mixes, frozen dough, self-rising flour contains sodium aluminum phosphate.

Food starch modifiers and anti caking agents also contain varying levels of aluminum compounds.

Processed and grated cheese contain sodium aluminum phosphate.

Shampoos, anti-dandruff contain magnesium aluminum silicate. Other shampoos may contain aluminum lauryl sulfate.

Table salt contains aluminum calcium silicate.

Tarter sauce

tobacco smoke may also have high levels.

Aluminum cookware (especially dangerous if acid foods like tomatoes are cooked),

some antacids,

vaccinations containing aluminum

dust when sanding with aluminum oxide sandpaper.

Urban water supplies may contain a greater concentration because water is usually treated with the element before becoming part of the supply Subsequent purification processes that remove organic compounds take away many of the same compounds that bind the element in its free state, further increasing aluminum concentration.

Other hazzards:
Live in dusty environments
Live where aluminum is mined or processed
Live near certain hazardous waste sites
Live where aluminum is naturally high
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2010 - 6:18 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

di, thank you for the reminder about tap water. i had forgotten... but now i remember asking his naturopath where did all this aluminum come from?? and her reply was basically that the two biggest sources she knew of were food/drinks with aluminum additives or packaging, and tap water- especially ours, here in portland for some reason. (perhaps since portland doesnt fluoridate, they add extra aluminum as a disinfectant?)
i have been really careful about everything... oops... except the water- it had slipped my mind... but now that i am reminded i shall have to start purchasing bottled water again. *sigh* which to choose... excessive mold spores from inadequately cleaned water machines, or aluminum etc at the tap? fortunate indeed are those who can afford an undersink purifier!

i hadnt known about aluminum in vaccines! but that would make all kinds of sense to me... his behaviour changed dramatically just after his 2yr vaccinations when the tech inadvertently doubled up. that was when he first began manifesting extreme oppositionality, stuttering (his first tic) and several typical autistic behaviours (compulsions, phobias, problems with eye contact & touch unless self-initiated... tho chelation did help with the autistic behaviours immensely) ...very, very interesting...

one more thing on the "aluminum cookware"- its always on all the lists, but most dont mention that the average non-stick skillet has an aluminum core. heavier (and spendier) steel core pans are available- tho i expect the non-stick stuff itself is quite bad enough as it is....

roy, thank you for the suggestion of malic acid. we do eat lots of apples. but i can see i might need to track down a safe supplemental form (unless you know of one all ready? :-) ... i have found that magnesium chloride drops help him with sleep. unfortunately, i am not totally certain that they are not also aggravating his sense of 'tunnel vision' and oppositionality. obviously, more experiments are needed!
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 23, 2010 - 12:15 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow that is quite a list Di. Im not sure what water we are on since we moved up here. I must check. Our previous house was hooked up to a well. Its quite common here in Ireland to have well water as opposed to the mains. I need to check what we are on here. I suspect we are on mains...yuck!! We are fortunate in that i can get well water at the supermarket for just a few cents. The problem i have with that is it means using plastic containers. I avoid plastics as much as possible after my 13 year old went into puberty at just nine years old. Avoiding plastics was advised and we saw some reversal and delay in that. Theres always something isnt there???? :-(

I had problems with Isla after vaccines too Bo'nana, nothing as severe as the problems youve had and all have reversed with a clean diet thankfully. We are so fortunate with Isla and Cai that their symptoms have reversed with corrections to their diets. I know the triggers for the kids and we eat and practise as chemical a free life as i can manage. Its hardwork, and due to finances i make some choices i wouldnt if i had money.

As for the pans...all mine are aluminium on just looking. I hadnt even given that a thought. I certainly dont have the money to replace them.Its so frustrating that finances prevent a healthier life in some aspects. I do the best i can. I think i will have to replace one pan at a time starting with the smallest. I can do the smallest today and try to stick to cooking for isla in the small one. Its something. Ive only just finished replacing as much of my plastic ware and oven ware with glass as i could. Its never ending. Still it keeps my busy thats for sure. And there is certainly never a dull moment. Im exhausted right now just thinking about all those pans and kitchen stuff with aluminium in them!!! Ah well, knowledge is power as they say and i can at least start making changes there as well...very slowly.
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 23, 2010 - 4:48 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Treatment Aluminum Toxicity; Multi vitamin and mineral complex especially calcium, magnesium, B complex, garlic tablets, lecithin, and kelp.

http://www.oxymega.com/alzheimers_dementia_aluminum.html
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 23, 2010 - 7:53 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks di- but gosh, i havent found a vitamin pill yet that we can take without bad effects along with the good ones! but at least i can aim for the foods that are highest in these things... i use lots of fresh garlic every opportunity.
i think maybe i will start adding fresh pesto to the list of things i keep on hand in the fridge. they all like it, and if i make it right i bet it could be loaded with lots of good stuff

ali... how well i understand your frustration with kitchenware! after he was first chelated i looked up the list of aluminum sources like what di posted, and i realized i was using aluminum-core nonstick, aluminum baking pans, and aluminum foil in my cooking. like you, finances simply didnt permit me to get rid of everything immediately... so what i did was make a new pan my personal treat every few months after i had saved up enough!
do you have any thrift or second-hand stores nearby? i found some good enamel & glass bakeware that way. also a cast iron cornstick pan that just needed reseasoned. good vintage cast iron and enamelware also shows up at the antique stores and the prices are certainly no higher than any of the new stuff. i LOVE old cast iron! it cooks soooo well!
right now i am saving to replace my large steel-core nonstick skillet with cast iron. i am exasperated- the lining is wearing out and it is only 4 years old! it was the pan i first replaced, it was quite spendy and i have taken GOOD care of it... nevertheless, the lining is definitely going... ugh. makes you wonder what else is going into the food, doesnt it? i am definitely done with nonstick stuff. my husband on the other hand, bought himself a cheeeepy nonstick pan just a few months ago and immediately the lining began to erode in it. i sure wish i could get him to listen! but he insists he has to have it for his eggs. oh well.

one other trick i used until i was able to change out the remaining baking pans was to line them with waxed paper or paper muffin cups so that no food actually touched the pan. i add a layer of waxed paper whenever i am wrapping anything in aluminum foil also.

well, hang in there with it... slow changes are still changes! sure beats not being able to do anything :-)
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 23, 2010 - 10:25 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ali, Do you have garage sales, or yard sales, or rummage sales over there? Here in the US they are plentiful and usually have great deals on previously owned stainless, glass or Corning Ware cookware. If the shipping weren't so high I'd send you some.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 23, 2010 - 10:36 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aw thanks Di. We do have what we call carboot sales. Where people drive up with their cars open their boots and sell their old stuff. Funnily enough one just started in town every last sunday of the month. I will be there looking for peoples cast offs. I love carboot sales. And jsut three weeks ago we had a charity shop open up in town. So i think when i look i should be able to pick up the pots and pans i need easily enough. Cant believe i never thought of this before. Just today in the charity shop i found a big castiron casserole oven dish. Its fabulous and it cost me just a few euros. ( i also found a brand new pair of jeans that fit like a glove, but i digress!!)Thanks for the tip Di. Ill keep looking every chance i get and soon be sorted.

Thats a great idea with the baking paper Bo'nana. Ill start doing that straight away. I feel like im making great headway already in what this morning seemed a headache. Thanks guys. I really do appreciate your help advice and tips. :-)
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 23, 2010 - 10:56 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

carboot sales! i LOVE it!! ...what a brilliant idea- we need some of those around here :-)
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 23, 2010 - 11:53 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

some of the bigger ones in England are more like markets now, but here in our village it is quite literally car boots!! Maybe some bring a table to set up at the side. Its fanatastic. I LOVE rummaging through peoples cast offs, i cant help myself.
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 23, 2010 - 1:30 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi guys, I just wanted to add my 2 cents worth to this discussion. I use glass baking dishes a lot - heck, I even use glass for all storage except my pets raw food that we freeze. Besides plastic being a problem from the BPA content, a lot of the plastic storage bowls contain corn. The same with wax paper and muffin liners so those aren't an option for me. I have considered a silpat to line my baking sheets with since that is the last aluminum that I own, but I can't find out if there are any that are not pure silicon. Also, with vintage cast iron, I would have to worry about seasoning with corn or soy oil in the past - that is why I can't buy "preseasoned" cast iron, too. I have one really good enameled stainless steel pot with lid and one enameled cast iron dutch oven that I use for most of my cooking. It's easy to cook eggs in a cast iron skillet, but you have to use a lot of butter (or lard or coconut oil or ghee) and make sure it is piping hot before putting in the eggs. Most people don't realize that the nonstick pan's popularity was directly related to the "low fat craze" started by the corporations trying to sell crisco and corn oil in place of butter and lard.

Here is something I found about chelation with cilantro: http://newconnexion.net/articles/index.cfm/2004/05/cilantro.html

Oh, and about bottled water: Make sure your bottled water doesn't have "minerals added for flavor" because that is just corn derivatives.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, July 24, 2010 - 9:59 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ive been using olive oil, butter and meat fats as the only oils for a while now. I learned far too much about the other yucky margarines and stuff to think they were a good option. Cols cholesterol was slightly high at his last doctors check up. He too has made this switch and is a little nervous to get his cholesterol checked at his next appointment in a few weeks time. I was just wondering, Kirsty, if you had any cholesterol "issues" from using the butter and meat fats? Id be interested to hear your thoughts on it and ill be interested to see what Cols next cholesterol check shows. He has also upped his exercise somewhat and overall he is a lot healthier than he was before we made all these msg changes and all the knock on changes that have come up since. Ali
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, July 25, 2010 - 8:34 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ali, my cholesterol levels went down when I cut out food additives and all canola, corn and soybean oils. I cook with lots of butter, animal fat, coconut oil and olive oil. These give me a fat to use in every cooking situation so I don't miss the other oils. I do add avocado or macadamia or sesame oil to salad dressing sometimes, too. I use ground organic flax seeds in place of buying flax oil since it goes rancid so fast (it is hard to find corn-free flax oil capsules for this reason).

When I was very sick, I had a lot of tests done while trying to figure out the problem. My cholesterol was high - once I dropped all meds and cut out food additives and learned how to successfully avoid my allergens completely, my cholesterol dropped pretty dramatically. I also avoid all reduced fat dairy, eating and cooking with full fat versions (raw if possible) and organic pastured eggs.

I do want to say that I would never eat fatty beef from a grocery store since the fat of pasture raised meat is different than feedlot meat and much better for us. Read more about balanced omega 3 & 6 and CLA and you'll see why my cholesterol dropped when I changed to grassfed meat and eggs: http://www.eatwild.com/healthbenefits.htm
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 26, 2010 - 6:22 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

one of these days i guess i will break down and go have another lipids check... ive been curious to know what my cholesterol has been doing these past couple years
...it had been gradually increasing back when i was on so much "heart healthy" soy, at the time i couldnt figure out what was going on.. after all, i 'ate right and exercised', didnt have any excess pounds, stayed active, took piles of supplements, was mostly vegan...etc...
well. i'll bet mine has gone back down now too- would be interesting to see.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, July 26, 2010 - 7:58 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Kirsty. YOu have pretty much backed up what all my research has said. The one thing i need to check out is what the cows are raised on where i get my meat. Ive been sticking my head in the sand a bit there. I just cant afford organic meat. No matter which way i try, the budget isnt there. Ive run out of places to cut back any further. Its been something of a challenge to switch to organic milk, fruit and veg and that isnt always available locally. I do the best i can, but its hard going. Id love to have the money just to switch everything lock stock and barrel. Well, whats life without a challenge hey?? hehe Im so looking forward to getting started with my own veg next season. The ground is prepared and ready to go come the time. Im quite excited about that. We moved quite recently and its the first time ive had a good sized space to get going with the veg.

This made me smile, and thought i would share. We got a Rabbit yesterday. It came with a bag of cheap rabbit food. YOu know the pellets and flakes. My husband went out and put it in the bin and off he went in the car. He came home with a big sack of greens, fresh hay and straw, wood shavings etc. He then declared that the rabbit would not be eating anything he wasnt prepared to eat himself. I think that is Col now completely converted onto our additive, msg, preservative free life. hehe.
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2010 - 9:19 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ali, that is so cool about the rabbit. In the depression years, kids were sent to gather weeds and flowers and grasses from the side of the road to feed the rabbits. My chicken gets whole grains from the co-op (no feed mixes) but they are just a supplement. I feed her worms (I started a worm bin just for her), veggie peels, leftovers (she loves cooked squash), insects (I drag her pen to a new patch of ground every day) and fruit (she adores the inside of cantaloupe peel). My dog and two cats get raw chicken parts for their meals and they are the healthiest pets around. I started feeding them raw when one of my cats got very sick and I read the ingredients on her prescription diabetic food. (Yikes!! the first three ingredients were corn.) She quickly healed on a diet of raw chicken and now they are all healthy and happy.

I would think that in Ireland most livestock is pasture raised. In any case, I doubt they are feeding them a lot of corn or soy unless they are coming from a feedlot, so always buy from the farm and not the store. A good butcher would know where his beef comes from and so would anyone selling it at a farmers market. Most farmers don't feed a lot of grains to their cattle, that happens once they are sold to the feedlots.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2010 - 1:24 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thats reassuring about the cattle Kirsty. I was in my local butchers today and he has a list of all his meats and the farms they come from. He looked at me like i was slightly derranged when i asked if he knew what they were fed. He said "they are out to pasture all day, i doubt they need anything else" In the straighforward way the country Irish folk have. I suppose thats the anwser i was looking for. hehe.

We are in the process of building a chicken coup. We aim to have four chickens. I hadnt thought about moving the coup around for the insects though i must confess. Its fixed to a wall, so that wont be possible now.But the run area is big so it should be okay. It looks like it will be spring before we get the chickens now as we are running late with having it ready for the thresher fare next week, were we could have bought cheap chickens. Ah well, it gives col plenty time to get it done right. Im looking forward to getting chickens. Great idea about the worm bin. Ive just started composting so that would be a great idea to do alongside. Funnily enough i was reading about worm bins a few days ago.

I can only imagine the horrors in the cat food. Yikes, its quite scary what we feed our pets without a second thought. Im happy to say the rabbit has settled well and is eating as well as (if not better than hehe) we are.
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2010 - 9:23 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ali, It matters what breed you buy. Some are more suited to big industrial operations and some are very good for foraging and slow-growing (making vitamin supplements unnecessary). I don't know what chickens are like over there but here there are a lot of cornish crosses which cannot survive without vitamin sups - they are popular for the chicken houses of industrial farms because they grow very quickly. You can read up on natural ways to treat your chickens for parasites or disease and get your worm bin started. You can use the worm castings for your potted plants while your worm population is growing for next spring.
Pat
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2010 - 9:37 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

kristy, My 17 yr old cat got sick recently & refused to eat commercial & cooked food. As a last resort, I tried raw beef liver, then chicken hearts. Seems he can't get enough of raw. Probably eats 1/3 to 1/2 lb per day & is not gaining weight.

Do you think cats would eat gizzards or tripe? Any other raw suggestions?

I read that cats should also eat 5% veggies for a balanced diet. So far, he has no interest.
Pat
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2010 - 4:15 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pat, Cats are total carnivores and have no use for grains or veggies, but they will eat small amounts of catnip or grasses occasionally. Also, cats cannot make taurine so cooked food is not a good diet for them. (Commercial cat food has taurine added back in after cooking for this reason) My cats eat raw gizzards, chicken livers, beef liver, chicken legs and breasts, fish and beef trimmings. The liver and gizzards are their favorites (they don't know they are the cheapest parts! Haha), but they need the calcium from bones so I make sure they eat chicken legs and breasts, too. If you can't get them to eat bones, you can try giving them eggs shells coated with raw yolk or dry egg shells and turn them into a powder with a spice grinder and coat their livers with it. It's much easier to get them to eat bones, though. Breasts are the best to start with when teaching them to eat bones because the bones are smaller and softer but they will learn to crunch up a leg, bone and all, in no time. If you know a fisherman, it is really good to give them the entrails and fish heads from fresh fish. I wish I knew a fisherman so I could get some for mine. My brother fishes but he lives over an hour away. I can just see the look on his face when I ask him to save the fish guts and heads in the freezer for the next time I visit. Haha I bet I would have to feed them outside, but they would love it and it is so good for them. All of my pets lost all excess weight and have been stable at their ideal weight since we switched to raw. Their mouths and teeth are much healthier, too. I think it is definitely the way to go.
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2010 - 7:46 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

probly cheeper too!
...given the skyrocketing prices of grain-free pet food. ($17-22 for a 4-6Lb bag of the fancy schmancy organic stuff- IF you can even find it)
yikes.
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2010 - 10:36 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I find it as cheap as the dry cat and dog food and cheaper than the best wet pet food available in my area (Petsmart). It's a little more trouble because we buy a lot at once and then distribute it into daily rations in plastic bowls and then freeze them. We take a new one out each night when we feed them and put it in the fridge to thaw for the next night, but we feed the cats and dog out of the same bowl so that's easier. They take turns like good little children!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page