Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Coconut Sugar

Battling the MSG Myth » Safe Foods I Have Tried » Coconut Sugar « Previous Next »

Pat
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, January 31, 2013 - 5:55 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has anyone tried Coconut Sugar? Any reactions?
I ask because of the boiling & whipping process.

It's a substitution to refined (white) sugar.

"Like the syrup tapped from maple trees, coconut sugar begins by tapping the nectar from the flower buds hanging from the heart of coconut trees. The nectar is then poured into woks and boiled into a thick honey-colored syrup. It is then whipped to a smooth, creamy texture and left to set."

https://www.swansonvitamins.com/q?kw=coconut+sugar&x=0&y=0
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2013 - 7:57 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not as sensitive as some people here, but I really like coconut sugar and use it as my primary sweetener for baking now, not that I bake a lot. It's supposed to have a lower glycemic index, which reduces hypoglycemia, and hypoglycemia exacerbates glutamate reactions.
Pat
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2013 - 2:05 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Lisa. I haven't purch'd it yet because I wasn't sure how 'over' processed it is, which might produce reactions in some sensitive individuals.

What brand do you use?
Do you know the ratio of coconut sugar to substitute for the sugar in baked goods?
Does it tend to be sweeter than sugar (like Stevia is)?

BTW, when I use Stevia to replace sugar, I make no recipe adjustments & so far, the consistency of everything turns out just fine. Just lucky, I suppose.
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2013 - 6:41 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've used a few brands, never reacted to any. Currently I have Big Tree and Madhava. I like the ones that have finer granules because they mix in better. If you are making something where you beat the butter and sugar, it takes a while! I've read that palm sugar and coconut sugar are different but mine say "coconut palm sugar" so I don't know what that's about.

I think coconut sugar may be a little less sweet, but since I reduce sugar in a lot of things, and because it's not cheap, I usually put in a little less instead of more.
Anonymous

Posted From: 195.222.79.114
Posted on Friday, May 03, 2013 - 6:01 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use coconut sugar for baking as it tastes similar to brown sugar (for me its even tastier) but much more healthy, it is filled with lots of vitamins and minerals.
http://purecoconutjuice.com/beneficial-properties/health-benefits-of-coconut-sugar/
Pat
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, May 03, 2013 - 7:13 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting statement. While I haven't consumed enough of it to get a reaction:

It also contains sixteen amino acids. This sweetener is very high in glutamine which is recommended for treatment of serious diseases, traumas, wounds, burns, it also helps to heal wounds of postoperative patients. Glutamine reduces the duration of healing time.

http://purecoconutjuice.com/recipes/coconut-sugar-cookies/

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page