Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Fort Collins Restaurant

Battling the MSG Myth » Safe Foods I Have Tried » Fort Collins Restaurant « Previous Next »

LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2012 - 7:47 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just have to write about an experience I had a couple days ago...we went out to celebrate my birthday at a local fancy restaurant in Fort Collins, CO called Jay's. I called (in dread of the confrontation) that afternoon, but unlike most places, the manager looked up and told me exactly what they use, and wrote a note for our server with the ingredients I listed, etc. They make all their own stocks from scratch, their own seasoning mixes with pure spices, etc. The coolest thing is that they use a local dairy that doesn't ultrapasturize or add carrageenan (though they said sometimes they have to get extra from another dairy, so always ask what they are using that day). That meant we could have soup (though I didn't), the homemade salad dressing, and DESSERT - creme brulee and chocolate decadence with whipped cream!!

I ordered a duck triology dish that came with an egg roll. They looked through all of the ingredients and discovered the egg roll had a small amount of Hoisin sauce in it with MSG, and they offered to substitute sauteed local greens which were divine. But I was able to eat the raspberry sauce and the orange sauce...it was wonderful.

I love it when restaurants go above and beyond. They even use rice flour for all their sauces and binding agents so that much of their food is gluten free, not just a couple things, though that's not an issue for us.

I even braved two drinks, an amaretto sour with homemade sour, and a glass of wine, and didn't get a headache the next day (though I did take ibuprofen a couple times just in case).

So, if you are ever passing through Colorado, you'll have to come visit me!!
Dutchbabiesx2
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 6:31 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lisa, we have been to Jay's for fundraisers and the owner/chef, Jay is very kind and passionate about food.
there is a soup I had a relationship with there in the winter and was told how to make it at home including the stock!

Be sure to contact Jay and tell him your wonderful experience, it makes an impression on him to continue this type of quality.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page