Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Lindt Chocolate

Battling the MSG Myth » Safe Foods I Have Tried » Lindt Chocolate « Previous Next »

Duchess
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2010 - 12:32 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just wanted to let you know that Lindt's has changed their 70% chocolate recipe....I believe it did not have soy lecithin before and now it does....
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2010 - 1:17 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

in europe we have cadbury's chocolate. Not all cadbury's is safe but their plain dairy milk chocolate is a treat for me and my kids and we have no adverse reactions. Not sure if you get cadbury's in the states? Ali
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2010 - 1:33 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

www.cadbury.ie
Duchess
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 07, 2010 - 7:18 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you, Ali.
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, October 08, 2010 - 2:36 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Duchess, Lindt 70% is a staple in our house and I didn't know it now has lecithin as we bought a boat load of them a few months ago when they were on sale. This always happens doesn't it, just when you find something that you like and can eat, they change the recipe. Well I'm going to write them and give them my opinion.
Duchess
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 10:04 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Di,

Yes, it is disappointing when you have found something and then they change it. I went back to the store and I guess they had some old bars because I managed to pick up the 70% without the soy lethicin. I doubled checked the old bar and there were none of the new ones out....I sometimes wonder if someone isn't trying to mess with my head...You know like here she comes....Okay, I know they wouldn't do that....but seriously it is frustrating. The new one had a red 70% new recipe label...so look for that. If you bought the bars before maybe you got a bunch before the recipe was changed. Be sure and check the label. I even checked the red triangle on the cardboard wrapper to make sure it wasn't a sticker....Nope...so it's not just in my head. My daughter was standing there with me and she saw and read it too. She was soooo happy when I came home with the bars without it in there.
sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2012 - 8:30 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lindt Intense Mint (dark with peppermint) is not safe or at least it isn't for me.

Ingredients: Sugar, chocolate, cocoa butter, milkfat, soya lecithin, peppermint oil. artificial flavoring

http://www.lindtusa.com/product-exec/product_id/42/category_id//nm/Excellence_Intense_Mint_Bar

My reactions have been pretty mild lately but this one isn't.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2012 - 5:08 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

soya lecithin!!! I cant even find organic chocolate with out it in. It basically rules out chocolate in our house. I sometimes buy an equadorian organic chocolate in tesco that has no soya lecithin. My little one can tolerate a small bar of cadburys once in a while, though that too has soya lecithin, so it is a rare rare treat!!
sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2012 - 8:49 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I realize that is probably the reaction but I can handle lecithin normally - or thought I could.

I have a bottle of it around so I need to try a capsule just of lecithin once I get over this reaction and am eating a "fairly clean" diet otherwise.

I had some Ghirardelli Gourmet Milk Coconut Rendezvous Bar few days ago and didn't react to it - also has soy lecithin in it and also has natural flavoring

Ingredients
Milk Chocolate , (Sugar , Cocoa Butter , Whole Milk Powder , Unsweetened Chocolate , Milk Fat , Soy Lecithin (an Emulsifier) , Vanilla) , Coconut Flakes , (Coconut , Sugar , Dextrose , Salt) , Natural Flavor

Dark vs milk chocolate? I just don't know.

Obviously my adventure in buying chocolate bars on sale had mixed results.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2012 - 9:20 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I seem to be able to handle soy-lecithin. I dont go looking for it though haha. My daughter reacts to it. I find i can give her chocolate and all will seem well. Give her some the day after and all is well...day three of chocolate we hit a bad reaction every time. She has a small fredo frog chocolate bar on a Friday and that seems okay. Its hard to keep refusing a small child, especially when she sees her friends eating sweets.
Ive just been givin a few recipes for home made sweets im going to try for her. Should be fun :-)
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2012 - 4:26 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lindt just came out with a new bar without soy lecithin, "Excellence 70% Almond Brittle Bar 3.5oz" INGREDIENTS: Chocolate, sugar, nougat (sugar, almonds, wheat, glucose syrup), cocoa butter, Bourbon vanilla beans. It's pretty tasty but I don't know if anything in the nougat would bother anyone.
sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2012 - 9:10 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I probably can't do the almonds or the wheat but then I also probably shouldn't be doing the chocolate anyhow.

These bars were buy one get one free that I got so the price wasn't too bad. I know there were other choices but of what was there these were the "best" options I thought.

I still don't think it was the soya lecithin that set me off.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2012 - 9:39 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you have any idea what the natural flavour is?
I steer clear of anything with natural flavour, it can cover a multitude of things.
sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2012 - 4:06 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I tend to watch natural flavoring too - that was in the chocolate bar I didn't react too. I reacted to the one with artificial flavoring in it.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2012 - 1:19 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is just so hard to figure out sometimes. Im currently practising making sweets for the kids from scratch. Today i have made them peppermint creams. Turns out they dont like peppermint. More for me :-)They are rather good, if i say so myself! Who would have thought beetroot juice would make them as pink as the shop bought ones and with the peppermint oil, you wouldnt even taste it!!
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2012 - 10:04 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One of my grand-children's favorite treats is a chocolate dipping sauce. I melt cocoa in coconut oil along with stevia to sweeten to taste...you can make it thin or thick depending on the amount of oil you use. I sprinkle in a touch of salt. Then they dip in fresh strawberries...Mike and I love it, too. You can actually let it harden for a different chocolate treat if you add a little butter and more cocoa. I have done this and added dried cherries or raisins and toasted almonds...place dollops while still warm on wax paper and let harden.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2012 - 10:09 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I forgot to add that Jack Sammuels once told me that the amount of free glutamate in soy lecithin varies from one manufacturer to the next. So you may be fine with one product but not another, depending on what supplier they order from.
Happy Mother's Day wishes to all you moms out there...and those who love and support children everywhere, whether you are moms or not!
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2012 - 3:25 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I stay away from soy lecithin but not because I know I will get a bad reaction....I don't like the idea of eating any GMOs.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2012 - 9:03 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, soy is a bad one.
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2012 - 7:55 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, interesting. We've never noticed reactions to lecithin...it's not on Jack's list either.

(Sorry, foggy brain...migraine from a large dose of caramel color yesterday.)
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2012 - 2:48 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Happy Mother's Day to you Deb A. and to all the other mothers too :-)
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2012 - 10:04 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks so much, Di!
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2012 - 9:15 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good news. I was looking, again, for safe chocolate to put in choc chip cookies for the kids and i happened upon Lindt 70% bars. The soya lecithin was not on the ingredients list. Just the plain old 70% cocao bar. It may be a bit dark for some peoples taste but smashed into small bits and put in cookie dough it makes fabulous cookies. The kids are delighted as am I!!
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2012 - 2:19 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ali, This was my favorite bar. We used to have it available in the US but they changed the recipe of the large bar and added the lecithin about 1 1/2 years ago. You could still find the small bar without the lecithin up until 8 months ago but they stopped making it we were told. What size bar are you finding?
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, June 02, 2012 - 10:22 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Even Lindt's website lists soya lecithin in the ingredients, most likely from genetically modified soy.

http://www.lindtusa.com/common/images/products/nutritional/392825new_nutr.pdf
jjmartin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2012 - 12:52 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Vivani chocolate has no soy lethicin and I got my local health food store to carry it. It is wonderful and I eat a small piece everyday.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2012 - 12:56 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They had soy lecithin in all their bars the last couple of years here too after being one of the few lecithin free bars available. I was surprised to see that it is now lecithin free again. It does however warn that it is made in an enviroment were lecithin is used in other bars....It was a 100gram bar of 70% cocoa. We have eaten the whole bar in choc chip cookies and no reaction at all, not even my youngest who is super sensitive to msg and a myriad of additives and colourings, so much so that she doesnt eat any processed foods and i make her her own sweets.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2012 - 1:00 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From the Lindt website....

A highly refined, delicately fragrant, and smooth dark chocolate, which has a strong but not too intense, cocoa flavour with subtle fruit and floral undertones and hints of natural vanilla.
A full-bodied dark chocolate, masterfully balanced with bittersweet undertones.
Available in 100g and 35g formats.

Show ingredients
Cocoa mass, sugar, cocoa butter, natural Bourbon vanilla beans.
Cocoa solids: 70% min.
May contain traces of soya lecithin, hazelnuts, almonds and milk.

http://www.lindt.co.uk/swf/eng/products/excellence/dark-high-cocoa-percentage/dark-70/
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2012 - 1:33 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Odd that their US and UK sites should show different ingredients. Maybe one needs updating.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2012 - 3:46 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yes it is odd. We had the chocolate without soya lecithin for years here in Europe and then suddenly about a year or two ago, soya lecithin appeared on the label. I do know that the ingredients did actually change as my youngest suddenly started showing signs that something in her diet was "off" and it took me a while to figure it out as she has always tolerated this particular chocolate.Now it is off the ingredients list again....But im happy to say we all ate it and no reactions as yet. I will be treading very carefully though and watching to see if she reacts as more of it is eaten!!
sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2012 - 10:04 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

it might be different ingredients for different countries - I really wouldn't be surprised if this was the case
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2012 - 3:30 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ali, I'll keep looking for it here in the US, hopefully, we will follow suit with what has occurred in the UK. Good for you to discover that it has been changed back to the old recipe.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2012 - 7:06 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I cant tell you how happy my youngest is to be able to have a shop bought treat and add chocolate to her beloved homemade cookies :-) Hope the states soon follow suit on this one for you.Keep checking!
Lorraine
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2013 - 6:26 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have the Pure Via stevia and believe that it may have MSG in it. It has "natural flavors" and is apparently only 12% Stevia. I thought it was completely stevia. Anybody else have this product and notice that they have reacted to it?
AdaLovelace
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 26, 2013 - 12:42 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

PureVia is not stevia... it is Pepsi's misbegotten version of it. (It contains Reb-A + erythritol + isomaltulose + cellulose powder + natural flavors.) I would switch to regular stevia immediately.
sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, November 07, 2013 - 11:57 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

another trial of Lindt chocolate that failed

I do not have problems with ghiradelli chocolate chips -

this was Lindt 85% cocoa - chocolate, cocoa powder, cocoa butter, demerara sugar and bourbon vanilla beans --- no soy lecithin in it --- and I am shaking and pulse elevated from it
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, November 08, 2013 - 6:19 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sara, perhaps it is a reaction to theobromine, which is much higher in 85% chocolate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theobromine_poisoning
sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, November 08, 2013 - 7:59 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

interesting - thanks
Nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, November 08, 2013 - 1:48 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sara, I can't eat Ghiradelli. I have problems with most chocolate bars because of the soy. Recently I've been making candy with organic unrefined coconut oil, organic Equal Exchange Baking Cocoa, honey, vanilla, and nuts. The recipe needs tweaking at little, but it helps the chocolate cravings.
sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, November 08, 2013 - 2:21 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

this is just all weird - I can eat more of the Ghiradelli choc chips than the Lindt bar - and not get a reaction.

I have considered the copper and manganese with the chocolate too as a possible cause of reactions and that might still be the case.

I am just super sensitive to "toxins" right now (and those trace minerals can be toxic too) and then the chocolate having this other toxin too - Theobromine might have been enough to set me over the edge.

There are some soy lecithin products I can't handle and there are some I can handle.
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, November 09, 2013 - 1:24 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sara, were the Ghirardelli chocolate chips the same 85% cocoa like the Lindt? I can't eat that high a percentage because the caffeine makes me shake.
sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, November 09, 2013 - 3:58 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

60 % but more of the chips - over 1.5 x the weight so I would think I had more caffeine with the Ghirardelli chips.

a caffeine reactions I wouldn't think would last over a day - I do admit I don't do much caffeine these days

I did have problems sleeping after the Lindt but haven't had problems sleeping after the Ghirardelli chips

I posted the ingredients above - wasn't sure there was something there that would help - also I reacted badly to another dark chocolate bar - Theo 70 % - this one

https://www.theochocolate.com/product/17

Cocoa Beans*+, Sugar*+, Cocoa Butter*+, Ground Vanilla Bean*.
marie12
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 5:48 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had a bad reaction to some Lindt 85% dark chocolate myself, a few months ago. However, I am also gluten free, and it turns out that their products are not safe for a gf diet. Apparently they contain trace amounts of barley, even though it's not found in the ingredients.

For gluten and soy free chocolate, I have been fine with Enjoy Life chocolate chips.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page