Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

White Rice

Battling the MSG Myth » Safe Foods I Have Tried » White Rice « Previous Next »

faithberry
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, November 15, 2009 - 10:38 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I'm new here. I'm having trouble eating almost all foods! I have elevated serum tryptase (possibly mastocytosis)and a long list of food intolerances (casein, gluten, histamine-containing and liberating foods,oxalates,and so on).

One big mistake I've made is eating chicken that's probably been injected and this has not helped my gut problems. I have no doubt that glutamates are an issue for me as well, since they liberate histamine.

So at the moment, I am eating white rice and ghee and a tiny amount of one or two vegetables. Deb advises not to eat white rice during the first two week trial unless washing it very well. I do not tolerate brown rice, possibly due to the fructans. Obviously, I am giving up the chicken.

Is white rice really counter-indicated? It's one of the few foods I can tolerate without reactions.

Anyone else has such serious intolerances and gained improvement through the diet?

Thanks so much, Faith
Jennifer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, November 15, 2009 - 12:34 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do well with rice also. There are a few brands of white rice that are not enriched and those are what I buy. However, nearly all white rice IS enriched & the additives in the mixture that is put on the rice is highly processed, and can contain glutamate and other residues.

Brown rice is not required to be enriched so nothing is added to it usually.

Foster Farms is about the only brand of chicken I can eat - some organic brands too - maybe after detoxing a while you'll be able to indulge in a safe brand of chicken.

Jennifer
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, November 15, 2009 - 3:17 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

faithberry, I use organic white rice and wash it really really well before cooking. I am very sensitive and I do OK with it. I use Bell and Evans chicken and do well with it. I would love to have a Costco near me because a lot of people here find good products there. Good luck and remember what Deb A. says. "The good news is that soon you will be able to eat many good foods, the bad news is you have to cook them yourself." That line in her book kept me going in the beginning when I was ready to throw in the towel many days. Feeling good is so worth the effort. Mariann
MikeS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, November 15, 2009 - 3:37 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi faithberry,

If you have access to an asian grocery store, white rice noodles list only rice & water as ingredients.

They are delicious, and for many months, that was my carb source during a prolonged elimination diet journey.

Regards,
Mike
faithberry
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, November 16, 2009 - 12:16 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for all for help! I will definitely eat only organic white rice and wash it carefully. This is like a mini-nightmare lately :-)

Faith
faithberry
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, November 16, 2009 - 12:35 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How long does it take to detox from MSG?

I only started eating chicken again about 6 weeks ago, and have been tapering off of it. Before that I was just eating white rice and a few vegetables for several months.

Thanks, Faith
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, November 16, 2009 - 12:42 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Faith, I order pasture raised meat to avoid the citric acid soaked pad underneath all store-bought meat (we can't tolerate corn or fga). Also, Deb's advice to scrub all produce before even peeling has helped me to avoid waxes and coatings on fresh produce. I read on another site about vegetable intolerances a tip that has helped me: cook vegetables and then puree them to help with digestion. Also, juicing get nutrients and enzymes into your system when you have a hard time digesting (since it requires very little digestion to absorb the nutrients). I also avoid extremely large produce or meats (you know football potatoes and pterodactyl breasts) since they are obviously grown using something nasty.

You should also research the GAPS diet (www.gapsdiet.com) since it helps heal people with allergies and food intolerances. We are currently grain-free while on a modified version of the GAPS diet and we haven't really missed grains. There are several sources online for finding farm raised pastured meats - I always suggest moving to these meats for anyone the least bit sensitive. Bone broths are very healing and by cooking vegetables in the broth and then straining it and drinking it you can boost your nutrient intake substantially, especially if you can't seem to tolerate eating those vegetables. There is a reason behind the tradition of giving broth to sick people - broths are very healing to your system and contain vital nutrients that are very easy to absorb. Let me know if you are interested in how I make bone broths.

Here are some links to safer meats you can buy online:
http://www.vitalchoice.com/ for wild-caught fish (stay away from farm-raised fish)
http://www.grasslandbeef.com/ (bison, beef, chicken, lamb, butter, lard, tallow, bones for broth, raw cheeses, etc.)
http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/
http://www.eatwild.com/ (find local farms)
MikeS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, November 16, 2009 - 3:15 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I too have read that bone broth is very nutritious.

However, I have also read that slow cooking a chicken carcass for a long time to make a good bone broth creates lots of free glutamic acid, which might not be so good for someone trying to avoid MSG.

-Mike
faithberry
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, November 16, 2009 - 8:04 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Kristy for all the terrific resources. Citric acid is a big trigger for me so that is very useful information in addition to the other tips and links.

Bone broths are indeed very healing. At the present time, I'm not able to tolerate broths. Just a tsp. makes me unwell for several days.

Faith

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page