Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Auntie Anne's Pretzels (Mall Food)...

Battling the MSG Myth » Safe Foods I Have Tried » Auntie Anne's Pretzels (Mall Food) « Previous Next »

MikeS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 11, 2009 - 5:31 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just wanted to share the response I got:

Hi Michael,

Neither the original pretzel nor the cinnamon sugar pretzel contain any free glutamic acid. We use all natural ingredients and do not utilize any additives or dough conditioners in our fresh made products. All of our pretzels do contain an active dry yeast as a leavening agent. The active dry yeast that we use is yeast and a small amount of sorbitan monostearate (used as an anti-caking agent). I hope this answers your question, if you have any other questions or concerns I would be happy to go over them with you.

Sincerely,

Natasha Bozinta
Food Technologist
Auntie Anne's Inc.
Suite 200
48-50 West Chestnut St.
Lancaster, PA 17603
Phone: 717-435-1777
Fax: 717-435-1771

Subject: Free glutamic Acid

I left a voice message at the mall earlier this evening, but here is a more complete question:

For the original pretzel and/or cinnamon sugar pretzel, do either contain any free glutamic acid?

These ALWAYS contain free glutamic acid:

* Glutamate Textured protein
* Monosodium glutamate
* Hydrolyzed protein
* Monopotassium glutamate (any protein that is hydrolyzed)
* Glutamic acid
* Yeast extract
* Calcium caseinate
* Yeast food
* Sodium caseinate
* Autolyzed yeast
* Gelatin
* Yeast nutrient

These very OFTEN contain free glutamic acid:

* Malt extract Flavors(s) & Flavoring(s)
* Malt flavoring Natural flavor(s) & flavoring(s)
* Barley malt
* Natural pork flavoring
* Bouillon
* Natural beef flavoring
* Stock
* Natural chicken flavoring
* Broth
* Seasonings (the word "seasonings")
* Carrageenan
* Soy sauce
* Maltodextrin
* Soy sauce extract
* Whey protein
* Soy protein
* Whey protein isolate
* Soy protein isolate
* Whey protein concentrate
* Soy protein concentrate
* Pectin
* anything Protein fortified
* anything Enzyme modified

Thanks,
Mike
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 11, 2009 - 9:57 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike, I find it highly unlikely that they are using a flour that doesn't contain barley malt or synthetic vitamins, therefore they probably didn't count the ingredients in the ingredients, if you know what I mean...
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, November 12, 2009 - 10:39 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with Kristy. I have also found it very unhelpful to contact the manufacture to ask about free glutamate or what is in their "natural flavors." I've found it takes weeks to months to get in touch with the right contact and the information isn't always accurate.

But you seem to be less sensitive than a lot of us on this board so you're more willing to try some packaged foods. Just keep in mind, anything prepackaged no matter what the ingredients say, carry a risk.
MikeS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, November 13, 2009 - 5:53 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My Follow-Up Question:

And just to clarify: does the flour have Malt or Malt flavoring?

Their answer:
We do use a small amount of malted barley flour in the dough. Forgive me for not mentioning that earlier.

Thanks!
Auntie Anne's Pretzels

----------------
Conclusion: you can't really rely on answers from mfg's.
Karen
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, November 13, 2009 - 12:57 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Soda Pop/Kefir/grain... Has anyone had this soda pop? If so what does it taste like? I would like to make this for my brother as he is a big soda drinker.
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, November 13, 2009 - 3:51 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Karen,

I haven't tried it yet but I am very interested...I can't tolerate fruit (i think most people make it with fruit juice) but I thought making it with ginger would be delicious. I am also very interested in coconut milk kefir. If you do try it would you post here about the results?

Kristy
Karen
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, November 13, 2009 - 4:21 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kristy, if I try this I will post and let you know if we like it.
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, November 14, 2009 - 12:24 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Speaking of coconut milks, has anyone found a safe brand of coconut milk? In the archives CarolH mentions she found a safe brand but couldn't remember the brand name. I searched our Good Earth store but all the brands were unsafe. I'd love to find a safe brand. Thanks, Emily
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, November 16, 2009 - 12:18 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey EmilyS,

We never found a safe brand, but I did find this product from Tropical Traditions that lets us make our own, Coconut Cream Concentrate.
http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/coconut_cream_concentrate.htm

The best things about CCC: you don't pay for the water to be shipped, it comes in glass instead of cans or tetrapaks, it has no additives whatsoever and you can use it the way it is for baking or add water to make coconut milk. And I can just order it at the same time that I am ordering my coconut oil and coconut bar soap and deodorant. Did you guess that I love Tropical Traditions? They are a dream come true for corn-free girls like me.
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, November 16, 2009 - 10:41 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kristy,

Thank you, thank you! I just ordered two 16 oz. bottles and canít wait until they arrive. With my daughter being allergic to dairy and eggs and needing to avoid all nuts until 3 and I donít eat soy or packaged rice milk- our diets conflict. Itís been incredibly challenging to cook for all of us at the same time and still get the tremendous amounts of fats into her diet that she needs on a daily basis. I canít wait for the coconut concentrate to arrive so we finally have a safe milk for both of us to drink!

When you make coconut milk, do you add 2 tsp. to 8 oz of water? I saw they offer a cookbook, have you purchased it? Iíd love to hear of the different ways you use it. Right now I have to add extra fat on top of everything my daughter eats in order for her to barely get enough fat into her diet. Iím thinking I could sprinkle this powder directly on her fruit or even make a concentrated milk to bump up the fat content. I canít wait to experiment!
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, November 16, 2009 - 1:45 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hey Emily,

I hope you ordered plenty of the virgin coconut oil, too - it is fabulous stuff. I didn't buy the cookbook but there are hundreds of recipes on the site and all that I have tried are very good. I am anxiously awaiting water kefir grains that are being sent to me and I want to try coconut water kefir - so excited about another source of probiotics. I used to make rice milk (homemade) ice cream and added CCC to make it creamier and silkier, too. I think homemade ice cream made exclusively from CCC would be fabulous - especially with raw cacao powder.

I don't remember how I mix mine but just use the amounts on the jar. It isn't a powder, though. The coconut has so much fat content that it is more like a thick liquid. Be careful in the beginning (start very small and progress slowly) because coconut is also antifungal and antibiotic naturally so if you have any problems it can cause die-off. (Since you two have food allergies, it is almost guaranteed that you have intestinal issues so be very careful - too much die-off too fast can be miserable)

Have you tried raw milk from pasture raised cows? Your daughter may be dairy allergic but she may just have a problem with homogenized, pasturized dairy from corn-fed factory cows. If her allergy doesn't cause anaphylaxis, you might want to try a little and see. That would open up your options as to cooking and getting good fats into her as well as boosting CLA and natural vitamin D. I personally couldn't drink milk for years but had no trouble with raw milk from pastured cows (no corn or soy feed). Also, raw goat milk is an option.

Also, you could take a page out of the GAPS diet and make bone broths (carefully, of course) and add organic beef tallow to the broth and use that to cook her veggies and meat in. Tallow from US Wellness Meats has been very important to our recovery and is chock full of good stuff. I think most people with allergies have absorption problems, too, which is helped tremendously by broths and animal fats. You could even make french fries with tallow and then they would actually be good for her.

Also, have you tried Ghee? Many people with dairy issues can tolerate ghee (clarified butter or butter oil). This is a very good brand here: http://www.pureindianfoods.com/ made from pastured butter.

Check out this blog: http://www.cheeseslave.com - It is written by a woman using traditional whole foods to raise her young children. Great info. The nourishing traditions and real food movement have taught me a lot about nutrition and healing and actually led me to GAPS as a way to heal. There are so many people on the GAPShelp yahoo group that have healed allergies with GAPS. People come to it for many different reasons like: eczema, allergies, dyslexia, autism, schizophrenia, reflux, etc. but all of it is related to nutrient absorption and digestion. I know cleaning up our diet helped us with a lot of symptoms I never would have considered food related. Anyway, read up on it and see what you think.

Kristy
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, November 16, 2009 - 4:38 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for all the great info Kristy. Unfortunately my daughter has an IGE allergy to all forms of the dairy protein. Even just touching it on her skin causes hives. We carry an epipen with us everywhere and have to be extremely careful that she doesn't even touch dairy or touch someone or something that just touched dairy. Her RAST numbers have dropped to zero so she is outgrowing it so hopefully in time we can bring dairy back into her diet.

I didn't order any of their coconut oil but I do have some here that I haven't used very much. I need to get creative and start trying it in a few recipes. I'll start looking through their online recipes. Thanks for the suggestion!
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 17, 2009 - 10:26 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Emily, I am sorry to hear about your daughter's allergy. It is tough to be allergic to something that is so prevalent in society, especially since dairy is used so much for good fats in toddlers' diets. We used coconut oil and tallow exclusively until we were able to introduce ghee. We don't really do any other dairy products right now and with no safe eggs, it is hard to get good fats and easy proteins into our diet (eggs are so easy!). Tomorrow, I should be getting my ground bison, braunsweiger and pemmican from US Wellness so I can't wait to try them. Pemmican is a "combination of grass-fed beef jerky, grass-fed tallow, touch of honey, dried cherries and sea salt. A tried and true historic Native American recipe", we ordered it w/o cherries and honey for it to be GAPS legal. I am excited about the braunsweiger as a way to get more liver into us, too.

By the way, I have read stories about toddlers that eat a spoonful of coconut oil straight from the spoon every day. My daughter and I used coconut oil, raw cacao powder and honey to make a wonderful fudge candy. Do you make rice milk at home? CCC works very well with rice milk to add richness and good fats to it.

My water kefir grains are in the mail on the way to me now so I am excited about making coconut water kefir using CCC. You could try making straight coconut milk from the CCC and let her drink some every day - I bet it is good - weird that I have never tried it that way (chocolate milk?). I was meaning to try coconut rice but I never got around to it before we went off grains.

Kristy
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 18, 2009 - 11:44 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kristy,

We were first told to avoid coconut and all nuts until age 3 (only coconut because the FDA has recently started calling it a nut even though it isn't a nut). But with her limited diet and the very rare chance she would react to coconut, just two weeks ago I trialed the coconut to see if I could add it to her diet.

Now that she has passed the coconut challenge, I have just barely started introducing different forms of coconut. I can't wait to try the coconut oil with her and start using the ccc. Great idea to make a candy- would you mind sharing your recipe?

I do occasionally make rice milk at home to use for baked goods. I'm excited to experiment with adding CCC to it to give it a little more body. Thank you again for all the tips!

I found a coupon code for Tropical Traditions to get their cookbook free so that will be arriving in the mail shortly. This will help give me a little direction on how to use the stuff.

For anyone interested, here is the code:

If you decide to buy the coconut cream concentrate or anything else from Tropical Traditions, as a first-time customer you can get a FREE Virgin Coconut Oil book with purchase. Just use code 5251001 in the Referred by a Friend section and the book will be added to your order at no charge.

Good luck with your new products you are trying, please keep us posted on how they work out.
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, November 30, 2009 - 10:53 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kristy,
I'd love a few suggestions on how to use my CCC. It smells and tastes great but I'm having trouble on actually using it. It's too hard and crumbly to spread and if I melt it to a liquid, then add it to water it doesn't mix. The fat floats and sticks to the sides of the cup . . . Still need to experiment more but I'd love to hear the step by step process on how you use it. Any suggestions would be great!
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 8:28 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hey Emily,

I found practical usage tips here: http://allrecipes.com/Cook/13529655/BlogEntry.aspx?postid=115858 (along with a great hot chocolate recipe and general coconut recipes) and here: http://pccuisine.com/coconut-milk.html

All the recipes at the bottom of the page here: http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/coconut_cream_concentrate.htm look delicious and I have actually made this one: http://www.freecoconutrecipes.com/recipe_Quick_Chocolate_Coconut_Pudding-Fudge.htm - it was very good. I also add it to my butternut squash soup and it makes it so creamy. Any "cream of" soup would benefit from some CCC. I have only used it in recipes so far but have enjoyed it very much that way.

I haven't actually made any coconut milk from it yet - I just got moved and left my kefir grains in the other place so I will have to go back for them. :-( Did you use warm water and an immersion blender? That's what I was going to do. If you want to just drink it maybe you could make a version of the hot cocoa with or without chocolate (I think ground vanilla beans instead of cocoa would be good). Maybe you could make yogurt or one of the counter cultures from it (some of them make a smoothie like consistency). Let me know how it goes.

Kristy
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 12:10 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kristy, great links- thank you!

For the milk, I tried mixing it in warm water but couldn't get the cream to mix in, it just floated to the tops and sides. But after reading the articles you posted, I think I need to mix my jar a little more. I've got it in warm water now, so I'll mix it more and try again. I printed off the fudge recipe to try as well- it looks really good. Thank you!
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 9:34 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Emily,

I made some hot cocoa with it tonight. It was a wing-it kind of recipe but I heated the jar in water on the stove and stirred it well first. It mixed in with the water and cocoa and honey very well and stayed mixed in even after it cooled. It was very rich and delicious even though it wasn't as thick as cocoa made with milk. I put the leftovers in the fridge and we'll see how it does reheated and how it is when cold.

Maybe the trick is to make milk from it on the stove on low heat and let it cool. We'll see.

Kristy

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page