Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Any safe substitutions for cream soups?

Battling the MSG Myth » Safe Foods I Have Tried » Any safe substitutions for cream soups? « Previous Next »

KathiG
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 7:22 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've been using cream of chicken/cream of mushroom in recipes all my life. Now that I've made the MSG connection, I don't want to go back to the headaches, so would like to know if anyone else has found a good substitution for these two staples.

Thanks in advance.
Jennifer
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 8:26 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's possible to make your own. I like to bake a bunch of chicken thighs in a cast iron skillet & freeze them for convenient meals.

I'd try using the pan drippings from a batch of baked chicken, fat and all - reduce over heat, add milk, cream and/or butter, and a little flour or in my case, rice flour to thicken. Don't forget the salt & pepper!

I don't do too well with mushrooms so all I'd be willing to try would be to add a few mushrooms under the chicken as it bakes. Hope this helps you get some ideas.

Jennifer
Dianne
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, June 30, 2009 - 4:06 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I never found any good substitutes for the "staple" cream soups, so I just don't make the recipes that call for them anymore. But Jennifer has good suggestions to try.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 9:50 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just use the basic white cream recipe in our book or in other cookbooks. But when you melt the butter, throw in some chopped fresh mushrooms and a tiny bit of chopped onion or onion powder. Sautee until cooked and then add the flour, stir till smooth and add the milk. It's so fast and easy, you will soon forget about canned soups. I make creamed tomato soup the same way w/o the mushrooms. But before I add the pureed tomatoes, I add 1/4 t. baking soda to help prevent curdling of the milk. The fastest way to make any cream sauce or tomato sauce is to puree the milk or tomatoes with flour and seasonings. Then add to the pot to cook until thickened. With the cream sauce, stir in some butter as it is simmering.
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 12:47 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I make a basic french cream sauce as a sub for cream of ckn soup. It's really easy to make and you can add different things to the base to make different soup. Just like Deb said, add tomato puree for tomato soup, diced mushrooms for cream of mushroom, sauteed chicken for cream of chicken.

I make a big batch of this soup, freeze in 2 cup containers to use for quick meals.

Like Jennifer said, you'll like the homemade version so much you'll never miss the canned stuff.

Here is a link for the recipe I use:
http://savoryseasonings.blogspot.com/2008/04/cream-of-chicken-soup-substitute.html

Get Deb's book too. Her book is full of a ton of ideas like these to help you get started replacing all of your old favorites. There are so many helpful hints it's worth every penny.

Emily
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 03, 2009 - 10:01 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Emily, thanks for the thumbs up on the book. I love your site and I will definitely try your recipe. Do you always add the cheese to it before freezing? I have a hard time freezing some items that contain cheese...it clumps or curdles? Thanks for the recipe!
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, July 09, 2009 - 8:32 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Deb, when I make a big batch I usually make it with half broth, half milk, add spices and seasonings until it tastes right, then I freeze it. Then if I want to sprinkle in some cheese when I reheat it, I do it then. However I have frozen it with some melted cheese and it melts, freezes and reheats well. But it you have a hard time with that you can skip that step, you can even skip adding cheese at all to it.

Today I made it with 100% chicken broth and no milk for a broccoli casserole. Last week I made it with 90% chicken broth and 10% milk for chicken pot pie. You can vary how much milk or broth you use depending on what you make and what is easiest for your body to handle.

Let me know what you think. Thanks, Emily
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 15, 2009 - 9:48 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for answering my question about the cream sauce, Emily. I have it posted on my fridge to try!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page