Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Lowfat Milk at Whole Foods!!!

Battling the MSG Myth » Safe Foods I Have Tried » Lowfat Milk at Whole Foods!!! « Previous Next »

Anonymous
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, May 16, 2009 - 7:01 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found Homestead Creamery milk at Whole Foods!! I was skeptical about their line of milk so I asked the following question:
Joan: Mr. Montgomery, How do you make your low-fat milk? I am very sensitive to the glutamate that is freed when milk is dried under high heat and then added to mass produced skim milk to make low-fat milk. Do you add milk solids to your skimmed milk to make low-fat milk? If I just skimmed off the cream in your wonderfrul nonhomogonized milk what % milk fat would be left behind? I just found your milk and thank you enough for producing such a great product. March 31st, 2009 at 2:57 pm
Donnie: Joan, We do not dry milk under high heat for any reason. To produce lowfat milk we blend our skim and whole milk to achieve 2% fat. Nothing is added or taken away except the cream. Yes you can skim off the cream from the creamline milk and your fat percentage will be less than 1%. Before removing any cream the milk is between 3.8 and 4%. Thank you. April 1st, 2009 at 3:41 pm http://blog.wholefoodsmarket.com/2008/11/homestead-creamery/
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 18, 2009 - 11:04 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for sharing that!
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 6:22 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.details.com/style-advice/the-body/201105/skim-milk-non-fat-milk-diet-foods

THE SKINNY ON NONFAT MILK
To turn skim milk white, "some companies fortify their product with powdered skim," says Bob Roberts, a dairy scientist at Penn State. Powdered skim (which is also added to organic low-fat milks) is produced by spraying the liquid under heat and high pressure, a process that oxidizes the cholesterol. In animal studies, oxidized cholesterol triggers a host of biological changes, leading to plaque formation in the arteries and heart disease, Spanish researchers reported in 1996. "OCs are mutagenic and carcinogenic," they wrote. In 1998, Australian researchers studied rabbits fed OC and found that the animals "had a 64% increase in total aortic cholesterol" despite having less cholesterol in their blood than rabbits fed natural sources of the substance. (A 2008 Chinese study with hamsters confirmed these findings.) Roberts says the amount of OC created by adding powdered skim is "not very much," but until the effects on humans are known, it's impossible to say what's a safe level.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page