Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Vanilla Extract

Battling the MSG Myth » Brand Names of Food Products You Have Found Safe » Vanilla Extract « Previous Next »

debbiebol
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, July 07, 2009 - 7:42 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was wondering if Frontier Vanilla was okay. The ingredients are glycerin, Fair Trade vanilla bean extractives, water. It is alcohol free. I just don't know what vanilla bean extractives are or really glycerin for that matter. Thanks.
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, July 07, 2009 - 1:14 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Debbiebol, I can't use vanilla extract since I am allergic to alcohol and corn so I use ground vanilla beans from Arizona Vanilla company. (Make sure you don't get vanilla powder since it has other ingredients that aren't good for us.) I ordered it from Amazon the first time but now I order directly from them. I also ordered the vanilla beans to make vanilla sugar (my daughter loves to add vanilla and sugar to homemade yogurt so vanilla sugar is much more convenient). These vanilla beans are so supple and fragrant - not at all like the dried out kind you can buy from the spice section of the grocery store. We haven't had any problems at all with it and we are very sensitive.
debbiebol
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 10:49 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Kristy, if you're still out there, how do you actually use the vanilla bean in recipes? Say, in a smoothie or in cookies? Do I chop up the bean itself and throw it in there. And how much do you use per recipe? Thanks. I'm going to order some tonight.
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 4:52 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Debbiebol,
The ground vanilla beans you can use just like extract although you don't need as much. I typically use about 2/3 teaspoon for each teaspoon of extract called for in recipe. If you want to use the whole beans, most chefs add the bean to the milk (or other liquid) and let it steep on low heat (to infuse the milk with the flavor) before taking out the bean, slicing it open and scraping out the inside. The insides are added to recipe along with milk for special vanilla flavor. I would use the ground beans in a smoothie or you could try adding the bean to yogurt or milk you plan to use for the smoothie the night before and let it sit overnight. Good luck.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page