Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Brand Names of Food Products You Have...

Battling the MSG Myth » Brand Names of Food Products You Have Found Safe  

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Trader Joe's Calcium , Magnesium and ZincAnonymous8-06-10  1:42 am
Antibiotics that are safeRoy Piwovar8-06-10  5:29 am
SomerSweet vs SteviaDi1-26-10  3:41 pm
Vanilla Extractkristy10-18-09  4:52 am
ToothpasteRoy Piwovar9-30-15  2:22 am
Heart palpatationsMariann12-18-09  4:10 pm
Ice creamsandj26 8-17-15  4:07 pm
Nutritional YeastCathy21871 8-10-12  6:06 pm
Safe Heavy Cream - Golden Glen CreameryMariann11-19-09  7:04 am
Anyone tried Suzie's Organic Saltines?LisaS12-01-09  9:15 pm
I need msg free vitaminsNana38 8-13-13  2:28 pm
365 sea saltAnonymous7-11-09  5:21 pm
Dole's NON-answer:Deb A.11-22-09  4:27 pm
Trader Joe's Frozen SalmonDeb A.11-22-09  4:29 pm
Pasta brandsMariann14 1-04-10  4:36 pm
Is FRS Energy Drink Safe To Drink?Roy Piwovar1-16-10  7:35 pm
Safe JellyMariann4-09-10  3:43 pm
Avalon Organics added new ingredientsAnnie10-10-10  8:31 pm
Potato ChipsDeb A.18 6-28-11  9:31 am
Tortillas without citric acidDeb A.4-19-11  1:53 pm
Bare Fruit Fuji Apple Chipssara6-21-11  1:03 pm
Soy Sauce Alternative?sara32 9-26-11  9:24 am
Jennyo Turkey?Roy Piwovar36 1-01-14  4:01 pm
Valley fresh chicken - new recipe - safe??????LisaS16 3-02-12  6:04 am
In and Out Burger- Safe fries and protein style burgerAnonymous3-12-12  11:55 am
Half & Half - not always safe!Deb A.5-08-12  9:31 am
Candy barDutchbabiesx25-14-12  1:55 am
Newman's creme cookiesDutchbabiesx29-28-12  8:59 am
FYI: Restaurants with MSG-free food!Dutchbabiesx215 8-11-12  4:00 pm
Whole Foods PizzaLisaS12-15-12  3:20 pm
Trader Joes! - What do you love there?SistineKid12 9-03-13  2:42 pm
Healthy Plant Based MilkLisaS17 3-11-13  12:54 pm
Safe Salad Dressing - Sis MelissLisaS4-27-13  8:27 am
Safe - ChipsPat4-16-13  9:16 pm
Safe or not - Theo Chocolate Roy Piwovar5-01-13  5:26 pm
Safe - Peanut Butter (Organic)Pat6-23-13  6:46 pm
Canned chicken with no msg?AdaLovelace7-08-13  2:41 pm
Msg free cheeseLisaS7-18-13  2:41 pm
Kikkoman Stir-Fry Seasoning Mix1cheryla110-20-13  3:48 pm
Not all butter is safemarie1211-03-13  5:47 pm
Gold n Plump ChickenLisaS2-05-14  8:31 pm
Ricotta CheesePat5-22-14  1:41 pm
Sea Salt kettle Chips AdaLovelace9-28-14  9:40 pm
  Start New Thread        

Welcome to Brand Name of Food Products You Have Found Safe. You may enter any of the discussions above by clicking on the appropriate link. Or, to start a new discussion of your own, click on the "Create New Conversation" button.

If adding a message below, ignore the reference to an account. Full names are not necessary in the username box. Passwords are not required.

Hoteru
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, June 12, 2010 - 4:35 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Greetings everyone,and thank you for all your information!
I have been reading the board for about 9 years now, almost every day, although I hardly say anything. Thank you for all your information which has changed my life for the better!
I found recently that I can drink Trader Joe's organic mint medly tea without a problem. I do not take caffeine and wanted to find an herb tea but got sick repeatedly from all other herb teas I tried. I believe it was Roy (Good old Roy who finds so much information for all of us, thank you for a wonderful job, over and over!) who suggested it might be from the (was it plastic?)sealant in the teabag!
I have not had any problems with the Trader Joe's tea and I am one of the very sensitive ones in the group.
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 4:43 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this mint medly tea loose or in bags?
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 6:23 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Hoteru!
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2010 - 9:41 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have recently become addicted to my homemade mint-stevia tea. I have a lot of volunteer mint growing in my backyard from a previous tenant's planting. I am growing herbs and stevia in pots. I pick the fresh mint and steep it into tea - adding a few stevia leaves to sweeten. It is delicious and free!

It is the corn-based adhesive that is problematic in tea bags. Envelopes have the same adhesive so never lick them to close.
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 16, 2010 - 6:13 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kristy you answered a question I had, that I didn't even know yet. I had a bit of a headache the other day and had not had anything bad. I assumed it was stress, but now that you mention the envelopes, I had written thank you notes and licked the envelope. Thank You. Mariann
anonymous
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 5:14 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone know if Silk PureAlmond is safe? The ingredients are all natural almondmilk (filtered water, almonds), All Natural Evaporated Cane Juice, Calcium Carbonate, Sea Salt, Dipotassium Phosphate, Locust Bean Gum, Gellan Gum, Sunflower Lecithin, Natural Vitamin E (d-Alpha-Tocopherol), Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin D2. It also says on the package "added vitamins & minerals including vitamin e. I've been having a hard few days, so I'm not sure if I'm reacting to this Silk product, or just residual from the weekend. Thanks for any help.
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 9:13 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From a health point of view, I personally try to stay away from "vitamin A palmitate", but I believe I react to all "gums", which there are two in this product.
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 5:13 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous, You need to be aware that the vitamin D2 is generally manufactured from GM corn and cane juice is typically sprayed onto maltodextrin to evaporate so I avoid it. I usually run the other way if anything is vitamin or mineral "enriched" or "fortified".
Anonymous
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, July 09, 2010 - 10:31 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Kristy. I really need to be more careful. Good to know. & Thanks for the help. And thank you for being so involved in this board. As I look around, you seem to reply and help a lot of people out. It's really appreciated.
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 8:32 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi anon, for what my 2c are worth: i drank nondairy products for several years and Silk was my favorite becoz it is so yummy- so it took me quite awhile to connect the dots and realize that: Calcium Carbonate, Dipotassium Phosphate, and especially all the Gums (including Carrageenan which is in some) were what was causing my stomachaches, and partly responsible for the rest of my digestive troubles.
Beware of anything that makes you want to have more, especially if it seems to be 'the only thing that makes you feel good'!
...becoz i didnt know any better at the time, i was using Silk etc to self-medicate the constant upset tummy that i hadnt yet realized Silk etc was giving me in the first place!
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2010 - 10:12 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymous, You can make almond milk from raw almonds quite easily. There is an appliance that makes this easier - it's not cheap, but if you drink a lot of alternative milks, it will pay for itself in no time. (Not to mention that you won't have to worry about the additives). The Soyquick maker (http://www.amazon.com/NEW-2009-Soymilk-Maker-SoyQuick/dp/B001EUA0V4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1278828338&sr=8-2) works wonderfully to make rice, nut, oat and soy (Yikes!) milk and it is really easy to use. It is entirely possible to make nut and rice milks without this appliance but I really like using it. I'm not sure if all of the soy milk makers will work for nuts and rice, but the one I linked to is the one I own so I know it works.
Anonymous

Posted From: 74.240.36.243
Posted on Friday, September 03, 2010 - 12:07 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oscar Mayer Cold Cuts: Natural Smoked Ham, 8 Oz
something new and they taste great. Ingredients:
Ham, Water, Sea Salt, Cultured Celery Juice. Contains: Celery.
I haven't had a reaction that I can tell...has anyone else tried them successfully?
Deb they are okay, aren't they?
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, September 04, 2010 - 12:30 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I love that Oscar Meyer is using cultured celery juice instead of lactic acid (corn derivative) but I am still afraid to try it. Since we can't tolerate any corn, we have to watch out for things like undeclared cornstarch in the packaging and corny additives used to make pork into ham in the first place. Anyone less sensitive tried it?
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, September 04, 2010 - 8:18 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

wow, never thought oscar meyer might have anything safe! i hadnt seen those but will look, as i know my gize would really love to have thin sliced meat on their sandwiches again...

we did do ok this past week with "minimally processed" herbed rosemary pork deli slices from trader joes that are made with salt-sugar-lemon-rosemary-lactic acid... and of course, the ubiquitous "natural flavors", argh- quite tasty, but i wont be buying it very often becoz of that. plus, rather spendy...

will definitely keep my eyes open for the oscar mayer version. they tend to be more moderately priced also :-)
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, September 04, 2010 - 8:19 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

wow, never thought oscar meyer might have anything safe! i hadnt seen those but will look, as i know my gize would really love to have thin sliced meat on their sandwiches again...

we did do ok this past week with "minimally processed" herbed rosemary pork deli slices from trader joes that are made with salt-sugar-lemon-rosemary-lactic acid... and of course, the ubiquitous "natural flavors", argh- quite tasty, but i wont be buying it very often becoz of that. plus, rather spendy...

will definitely keep my eyes open for the oscar mayer version. they tend to be more moderately priced :-)
bo'
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, September 04, 2010 - 8:20 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oops... wierd... how did that happen?
sorry for the double post!
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, September 04, 2010 - 9:58 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are some deli meats on the corn-free list. I've posted a link to the list before, but for those who may have missed it:
http://corn-freefoods.blogspot.com/2007/12/corn-free-foods-products-list-dec-2007.html

Corn-free is not a guarantee of no FGA, but it is a good place to start. Things on this list will not have hidden corny derivatives like dextrose on coffee beans or cornstarch on the packaging.
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, September 05, 2010 - 9:10 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanx kristy, it is a good place to start... you always post the most helpful tips and advice!

thankfully, my family does have some flex room with things like corn starch and dextrose - tho we do tend to avoid, knowing that where those are, more yuck is likely to be hidden

but one ingredient ive discovered to be the cause of MAJOR digestive problems for myself, and i suspect for the rest of my gize, turned out to be Carrageenan and a lot of lunch meats and cheeses are just loaded with it!

so i wanted to add that as a caution for anyone else searching for good 'safe' deli foods. i just could not figure out the cause of my chronic stomach aches until someone on this board mentioned carrageenan- after doing a bit of research i realized that even the spendy 'healthy' 'natural' shops & bakery love to use the stuff for that "fresh from the oven" look & feel it imparts to foods that will be sitting out in the warming case for hours...
which meant that everything i was eating from the muffin or scone for breakfast to the 'organic' deli sandwiches at lunch were usually coated with a carrageenan glaze, and it was effectively shutting down my digestion by coating my insides just like the chicken from the deli broiler, ugh! :P
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, September 05, 2010 - 2:11 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember reading something about how carageenan is processed and there is corn involved. I think carageenan is one of those double-whammies....high in glutamates AND processed with corn derivatives.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, September 06, 2010 - 12:14 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

None of my kids do well with carageenan. If the little one has it, we are guaranteed at least two sleepless nights!! It was one of the things on the trigger list for my eldest back in 1997 when he was small. I didnt know why it set him off at the time, i just knew from trial that it did big time.
Nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, September 10, 2010 - 2:22 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You should read what Dr. Blaylock says---
"Ever heard of carrageenan?
You probably ate some this week. It’s a very common food additive made from seaweed, and it produces intense inflammation – even in small doses. It tends to worsen all bowel conditions, including IBS, and it can dramatically stimulate cancer growth. What’s more, food additives like carageenan and MSG can powerfully stimulate the bowel muscles, resulting in diarrhea and cramping." http://w3.newsmax.com/blaylock/17.cfm
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, September 10, 2010 - 1:29 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the link Nana. I will take a look at that. I hear a lot about Dr Blaylock.
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, October 09, 2010 - 5:21 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has anyone tried: Trader Joe's Organic Hearty Vegetable Broth.

Here are the ingredients:

filtered water, organic carrots, organic celery, organic tomatoes, organic onions, organic leeks, organic garlic, sea salt, organic bay leaves, organic parsley, organic thyme
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, October 09, 2010 - 10:15 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

we use it and also trader joes chicken broth, both regular and organic.... and so far it seems to be fine for us (no hyperactivity, moodswings, muscle cramps, headaches, palpitations or midnite restless legs afterward.

here's hoping they keep the same recipes!

...we can still use Pacific Organic broth as well (altho they do not have a totally clean label) but anything by Imagine is now off limits for us- boo!
i am not positive, but i suspect the difference may be that Imagine might be adding nutritional yeast or sthg like it, for a 'meatier' flavour... my personal symptoms after having Imagine soup or broths would seem to match up for that, becoz i end up feeling a lot like i did back when i was using Nutritional Yeast as a cheese substitute and the so-called 'healthy' Better Than Boullion soup bases all the time (i even had their cookbook :P

ironically, soup base was what drew me to this community in the first place- and 6 months later here i am commenting on it again
ha ha!
Hoteru
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, October 09, 2010 - 3:40 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Di,
The garlic in this, organic or not, would cause migraines for me as it is too high in FGA. There is a lot of variation in how much FGA those of us affected so strongly can tolerate.
Unfortunately, Trader Joe's puts garlic in many of their products. Whole Foods also uses garlic in many of their products so watch out until you know whether you can tolerate it.
As time goes on, I have been reading this discussion board since before 9/11, I find I react to more and more things and smaller amounts
of glutamate. This has ocassionally tripped me up when I ate things I previously did not react to and got sick.
My migraines lasted from 3 to 5 days and usually had me down on the floor crawling around and vomiting since I couldn't take the pain of standing up. I am kind of a tough cookie as far as enduring things and taking care of my responsibilities no matter what but these used to make me "say the words that sailors use" to put it delicately.
I am very greatful to all who post here for their information and daily support. It makes getting through life a lot easier to know that their are others who need to modify their lives to live differently. And of all the vexing conditions to have, I feel happy that I am only required to eat in such a healthy way to survive!
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, October 10, 2010 - 6:55 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

bo'nana and Hoteru, thank you both, I'll probably give the broth a try at some point and let you know how it went.
evelyn
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 7:04 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've been noticing a little bit of an issue lately and I'm afraid it could be the yoghurt. Anyone have an issue with Fage? Looks to be fine from an ingredient perspective. It's so good and high in protein, I don't know what I would replace it with!
DebA.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 1:03 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I go easy on yogurt, but do well with the product I make at home with organic whole milk. I also add protein to my diet by adding Crystal Farms pasteurized liquid egg whites that I buy at Walmart. I add it to smoothies.
evelyn
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 2:36 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Deb - homemade yogurt? is that in your book? That sounds good! and probably a lot cheaper...
Anon
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 6:42 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What is a good protein snack? I can't eat gluten, dairy, corn or soy. I eat nuts, but would like a change.
carolh
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 12:02 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Grass-fed whole milk.
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 3:30 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anon, Ali posted yesterday - "...chicken goujons. I buy five chicken breasts and chop them nugget size, dip in flour, then egg and finally breadcrmbs seasoned wiht lots of herbs. They freeze well and cook well from frozen in 15 minutes in the oven at 200celcius." Sounds like a delicious protein snack, don't you think?
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 3:36 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aron,

Hard boiled eggs make a good portable high protein snack and are at the top of the list along with milk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDCAAS
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 11:29 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Di they are delicious. My kids love them and the last few i add chili for a bit of bite for the adults. My kids really missed things like this that i used to buy ready done in the freezer section. They love these. Oh i should say to cook them i put a little olive oil on the baking tray and turn half way through then they go crispy too. I make them small bite size but it works jsut as well with a whole fillet just takes longer to cook.
Anonymus
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2012 - 7:50 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was wonering if ezekiel bread is safe to eat?
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2012 - 12:07 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anonymus,

It's hard to answer that without the specific ingredients, which vary by brand. It's generally made with cheap grains and may have beans (sometimes soy, which is probably genetically modified unless it says otherwise) added.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2012 - 7:13 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ive yet to find a premade bread we can eat apart from Polish bread. I finally threw in the towel and bought a bread machine (panasonic). Its the best money ive spent in a long time! Takes a few minutes to set up and we have fresh bread every day. :-)
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 5:21 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ezekiel will depend on your sensitivity. It does have malted barley in it, which will have some glutamate. The other brand that is always nearby and is also sprouted grain has wheat gluten which we've reacted to.

Our family does very well with the Rudi's brand if we stick to the more basic breads. The spelt bread is currently what we use the most.

The safest, if you don't buy your own, is to look for a local bread that has only wheat flour, sugar, yeast, oil, salt. Watch out for "flour" that hasn't been listed out as usually they have malted barley.

For my son who is less sensitive than some, we let him have small amounts of white restaurant breads (e.g. hamburger buns) but we don't buy any to bring into the house.

Yesterday, my sister, who is a wonderful cook, made sauerkraut rye bread, from a bread machine recipe, but she took it out as dough and brushed it with butter and baked it. It was wonderful.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 8:48 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Recipe for the rye bread, please!? :-)
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 - 10:08 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry to take so long! We made this again in the bread machine without the caraway and it was really good.

3/4 c water
2 c bread flour (I used a mix of wheat and white)
1 c rye flour
1.5 tsp salt
1.5 tbsp brown sugar
1.5 tbsp molasses (used honey)
1.5 tbsp butter
1 cup sauerkraut, squeezed, drained, and chopped
1 tbsp caraway seeds, optional
2 tsp yeast

Put in machine according to bread machine directions. Wait to add additional water if it looks dry, and check partway through first kneading cycle; if sticky, sprinkle on more flour.
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 - 12:41 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LisaS, Wow, I would never have thought about putting sauerkraut in rye bread, but it sounds wonderful. Think I will give it a try, thanks.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 - 1:20 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ill be trying that too. It sounds wonderful. Thanks for sharing your recipe Lisa :-)
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 - 2:13 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you, Lisa...will try this. I have organic sauerkraut and was wondering what I was going to make with it.
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2012 - 5:53 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You are all very welcome!!

I make my own sauerkraut too and it is *so* easy! Most sauerkraut is cooked -- ie, all the probiotics are killed. It's still good as Vitamin K (which is neuroprotective against glutamate!) is not heat sensitive. But if you want the probiotics, make it yourself and store it, always with enough brine on top (you can make more easily) at the back of a cold fridge and it lasts a very long time.

Here's one site with instructions: http://www.wildfermentation.com/resources.php?page=sauerkraut

I've also been getting into making my own sour cream and kefir, if anyone is interested in hearing about that :-)
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2012 - 4:07 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I guess we wouldn't have thought of rice as being unsafe to eat, as it's one of our staples. But the news is reporting arsenic in rice.

The Consumers Union study found higher levels of arsenic in brown rice than white rice, a result of how the two different types are processed. It also found higher levels in rice produced in Southern U.S. states than in rice from California or Asia.

Dr. Oz recommends we first rinse it well, then cooking "pasta style" with lots of water. He says that will get rid of about 30% of the arsenic.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/09/19/fda-urged-to-set-standards-for-arsenic-in-rice/#ixzz26urhAp3I
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, March 09, 2013 - 12:10 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We can only hope this may spur a movement to ""truth in labeling".

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/09/business/grocery-chain-to-require-labels-for-genetically-modified-food.html?_r=0

Major Grocer to Label Foods With Gene-Modified Content

Whole Foods Market, the grocery chain, on Friday became the first retailer in the United States to require labeling of all genetically modified foods sold in its stores, a move that some experts said could radically alter the food industry. A. C. Gallo, president of Whole Foods, said the new labeling requirement, to be in place within five years, came in response to consumer demand. “We’ve seen how our customers have responded to the products we do have labeled,” Mr. Gallo said. “Some of our manufacturers say they’ve seen a 15 percent increase in sales of products they have labeled.”
Jerry Story
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, March 10, 2013 - 7:34 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Foods that are (honestly) labelled non-GMO will sell faster than similar foods not labelled non-GMO. Therefore labelling foods non-GMO (if it can be done honestly) is a business advantage. When (not if) this business practice becomes the normal thing, any food not labelled non-GMO will sell so poorly that it won't be worth carrying in the store.

In this way, a free market (without law) can kick Monsanto's xxx posterior so hard so hard they gotta clear their throat to xxxx break wind.
anonymous
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, December 18, 2015 - 7:47 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone know about einkorn flour? I just received a bag of it yesterday to test. I made a loaf of bread and showed no symptoms at all after eating some. Normal white wheat bread can make me about 3 pounds heavier the day after I eat it but the einkorn bread had no effect. I'm hoping it will increase my limited range of foods to eat but I will keep it at a minimum regardless.
nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 7:07 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

May I ask where you purchased the einkorn flour and what recipe did you use?
Anonymous

Posted From: 184.94.224.242
Posted on Monday, December 21, 2015 - 7:30 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I ordered it from jovialfoods.com and used a bread recipe from their website. I also found a chocolate chip cookie recipe using einkorn flour that seems to sit just fine with me too though I can't eat chocolate after 6pm or it keeps me awake. I found it here:
http://www.mirealfood.com/blog/einkorn-flour-chocolate-chip-cookies

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out