Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Safe or not - Theo Chocolate

Battling the MSG Myth » Brand Names of Food Products You Have Found Safe » Safe or not - Theo Chocolate « Previous Next »

sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 22, 2013 - 8:12 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

https://www.theochocolate.com/product/17

Cocoa Beans*+, Sugar*+, Cocoa Butter*+, Ground Vanilla Bean*.

*Organic
+Fair Trade

Allergen Information: Manufactured on shared equipment with products containing milk, eggs, wheat, eggs, peanuts & other nuts.

okay that's the product and ingredients - this was a nice smooth texture bar - but darn it I reacted to it - I think there were 2 reactions - one MSG type and one oxalate type yet I had been eating chocolate chips lately with larger serving weight than this chocolate was

My question that you might be able to help me with ------- sugar - beets??? would that cause the MSG reaction - not sure but might cause the oxalate one too
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 8:05 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sara,

The 70% dark chocolate bar would be extremely high in oxalates. The chocolate chips may have had significantly less than 70% cocoa. Even with a larger serving size, the chips could then still have far less oxalates.
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2013 - 8:37 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have found that I'm playing with fire if I have any chocolate to my diet. It's not just about the chocolate, but the amount at once, and other things in that same meal, at least for me. I tried a third of a Ghiradelli milk chocolate square the other day, with calcium tablets* even, and had a really bad reaction to the oxalate. For me it's just not worth the risk of pain. Plus, I think the chocolate makes me react to medium oxalate foods for the next several days. (Make sure you are looking at the spreadsheets on the trying_lowoxalate Yahoo group, and not other sources)

* for most people sensitive to glutamate, calcium is a bad idea. I haven't had a glutamate reaction in so long, so I decided to try adding the calcium to bind the oxalate. As long as I don't have obvious glutamate, and I take it only with food and not separately, I found it quite helpful.but beware.

I also wonder if there is any interaction between the two. Does anyone know if glutamate and oxalate interact?

One interesting thing to note is that flavor extracts almost always are low oxalate. Cinnamon flavor, for example, is much less than cinnamon. Some people use curcumin extract in their curries instead of turmeric. I wonder if we could find a good chocolate flavor? :-)
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, April 27, 2013 - 2:16 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LisaS, because of the very high oxalates I avoid cocoa and consume white chocolate instead.

Whether or not glutamate and oxalate interact, the article linked below does suggest an indirect effect. Per the link, Dr. Blaylock says that low magnesium levels make glutamate receptors extra sensitive. The author adds that a high oxalate body burden will deplete magnesium stores.
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 01, 2013 - 7:31 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Roy, very interesting! BTW did I miss the link somewhere?

What brand of white chocolate do you like? I'm always suspicious of the nonfat milk powder since we've reacted to "whey" and similar in the past, but if you don't react to a particular brand, I definitely wouldn't :-)
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, May 01, 2013 - 5:26 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's the missing link:

http://www.naturalnews.com/020550_excitotoxins_MSG.html

I like the taste of and don't seem to react to this product, but it has nonfat milk in it:

http://www.hersheys.com/bliss/products/white-chocolate-meltaway.aspx

If you react to that, there are always Trader Joe's white chocolate chips, which are the most inexpensive option and about as safe as you can get.

http://www.loveveggiesandyoga.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/whitechocolate-4-665x524.jpg

I never risk anything with cocoa in it - the oxalates are just too high.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page