Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Healthy Plant Based Milk

Battling the MSG Myth » Brand Names of Food Products You Have Found Safe » Healthy Plant Based Milk « Previous Next »

AdaLovelace
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 7:00 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is anyone aware of a good plant based milk (not soy) that contains no synthetic vitamins, additives, or GMOs? The closest I have found is Rice Dream, which, according to the website, contains filtered water, organic brown rice (partially milled), expeller pressed high oleic safflower oil, sea salt. This is exactly what I want! However in stores the label is different, and the ingredients state that canola oil may be present.

Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2012 - 7:29 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ada, I wish I did know of a good plant based milk. I found this recipe for almond milk - I wonder if anyone has made this or any variation that turned out good.

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/rawfoodsrecipes/r/almondmilk.htm
AdaLovelace
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2012 - 4:22 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the recipe! Now if we could just find a premade version with those same ingredients! :-)
Jerry Story
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, December 23, 2012 - 7:35 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why do you need milk?
AdaLovelace
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2012 - 7:44 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The milk would be for anything... cooking, baking, my husband's coffee, etc.
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2012 - 10:24 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How about canned coconut milk? Golden Star's canned coconut milk has only coconut milk and water added (nothing else). It's great for baking and with the high fat content I'm sure it would make a nice coffee creamer.

I can find Golden Start at my local Walmart for $1.47 a can.
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2012 - 9:18 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Golden-Star-Coconut-Milk-13.5-oz/21269470

from this link you can check availability of it at your local Walmart
AdaLovelace
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 2:13 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's a great idea. I'd like to avoid canned items if possible, but I'm sure I'll try this out!
AdaLovelace
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2013 - 7:23 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, so I just got my very first Vitamix blender yesterday! Now I have NO need for store bought milk substitues full of GMOs, flavor enhancers, and synthetic vitamins (not that I ever drank that stuff to begin with)! I made fresh rice milk this morning. I blended cooked rice with agave, vanilla extract, (Sparkletts) water, and salt. Last night I made potato leek soup using homemade cashew cream as a heavy cream substitute! (I also used Trader Joe's organic vegetable broth which I am so happy to say contains NO free glutamate of any kind.) I am so stoked on this thing!!! I want to try substituting cashews for any recipe that calls for cheese, milk, or cream! I can't wait to have Caesar dressing--god how I've missed it!
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 25, 2013 - 8:39 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How fun! Congrats!

Watch out with cashews that you don't overdo on oxalate and trigger a sensitivity to it, as I'm afraid I did (though not with just cashews). But I bet for small amounts like in dressing, you'll be OK.

Our local vegan restaurant makes the most fab vegan desserts with the cashew base -- everything from carrot cake with cashew "cream cheese" frosting to chocolate decadence. Have fun experimenting!
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2013 - 6:42 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LisaS, Are you on a low oxalate diet? I've just recently gone on one.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2013 - 7:59 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Almond milk is delicious, too...less creamy than cashew, but still great. I add a pinch of sugar and salt to mine when I make it in my blender.
AdaLovelace
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2013 - 4:01 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I add a lot of salt to mine, haha. It's amazing--when you make things at home, you really see much salt is added to commercially available products. I also add agave. :-) Thank god for my Vitamix!
AdaLovelace
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2013 - 8:09 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lisa--I'm not worried about oxalates, but I am going to make variations sometimes using almonds and sometimes using rice just to give my cooking some variety! :-) Right now I'm making spinach and kale soup! This Vitamix is my new best friend.
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 05, 2013 - 2:28 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Di, yes, I started to have awful joint pain and increased headaches. My spine has been "crackly" for years but it was getting to the point where everything ached and my neck, jaw, hips, toes, would crack when I moved them. I searched all over to figure it out and someone finally suggested LO (low oxalate). This was right after I had been cooking and eating lots of almond flour, soaked quinoa with nuts, and rhubarb.

It's made a really big difference but you can't go from high to low without risking dumping and causing more issues...complicated!
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 06, 2013 - 9:04 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wish I knew for sure if my symptoms were from dumping or not. Guess I'll hang in there with the diet for a few more months and see if they eventually abate. Have you seen the most recent oxalate levels report? Some of the changes make me wonder which (if any) are really correct. There seem to be discrepancies even between lists on the same website - very confusing - and yes, complicated!
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 11, 2013 - 12:54 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My suggestion would be to stay at medium oxalate for a while, then make slow changes. If going from low to medium helps symptoms, you were dumping. Someone on the oxalate list said they can always stop a dump by eating a small amount of dark chocolate -- deliberately ingesting oxalate to stop them dump. If symptoms get worse when you go to medium, it wasn't a dump, and you should gradually reduce.

As for lists - are you talking about the spreadsheets from Trying_Low_Oxalates? That's the ONLY site I trust. Yes, they do change as tests are updated or re-run, but their lists are based on reputable data.

health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Trying_Low_Oxalates

They are in the process of updating the associated website, but the spreadsheets are always the most recent info.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page