Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Trader Joes! - What do you love there?

Battling the MSG Myth » Brand Names of Food Products You Have Found Safe » Trader Joes! - What do you love there? « Previous Next »

EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2012 - 1:38 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Our first Trader Joe's in the state where I live just opened! It will be a long drive to get there but I'm so excited to go and stock up on some items there.

Would anyone mind sharing there favorites that they get at Trader Joes? It seems like Deb A. buys a lot from there.
sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2012 - 4:33 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

don't know if you have ever been to one

there are pretty much a "store brand only" kind of store
AdaLovelace
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 6:51 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Trader Joe's is great!! A lot of their stuff contains MSG, but if you're careful about reading labels you'll be fine. :-) My favorite things are the olive oil potato chips and the grilled eggplant and zucchini from the frozen section. (This is what it looks like: http://www.cooktj.com/files/node_images/712/MistoallaGriglia.JPG)
AdaLovelace
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 6:53 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I should mention that the eggplant and zucchini does contain sulfites so if you're sensitive you may want to pass on that one. :-)
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2012 - 10:20 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good to know, thanks! A few years ago Deb A. could eat their dried fruits (they were sulfite free). I'm curious if their dried fruits are still safe.

I don't get an MSG reaction from Sulfites, but they are now a migraine trigger for me so I'm careful to avoid them.

I hope to go in the next few weeks, I'll post what I find.
AdaLovelace
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2012 - 4:20 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I also found some vegetable broth with no MSG there! As well as a can of split pea soup! :-)

Their double roasted salsa is really great as well.
AdaLovelace
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 8:33 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also... I LOVE their Organic Spaghetti Sauce with Mushrooms. The ingredients are: organic tomato puree, organic diced tomatoes, organic mushrooms, organic sugar, salt, organic garlic powder, organic onion powder, organic minced onion, organic basil, organic parsley, organic oregano, organic black pepper.

And they have a variety of organic brown rice pastas that are fantastic.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2013 - 12:44 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I buy their organic mayo, sweet bread and butter pickles, dill sliced sandwich pickles, canned chicken in blue paper label, plain tuna or albacore, dried fruit that has no sweeteners or additives...mostly the organic...but do okay with long dried bananas..says, "Nothing but..." on the front. Do fine with their green salsa and "authentica" salsa, their fat free fried beans in can, as well as the baked beans, their marinara sauce in the green can, organic peanut butter, organic ketchup, canned corn, maple syrup in the tall thin bottle, and their crackers that are like Carr's plain ones, but cheaper. I have done okay with the honey pretzel sticks, as long as I don't eat too many...dipped in their organic mustard. Be careful of some of the dairy...some from California contain extra whey or milk solids...but since we are all so different, be careful and see what works for you. I have even done okay with their uncured pastrami and ham slices...but I only put 1 or 2 slices in my sandwich...and I eat them rarely...great with the dill slices. be careful of yeast extract and citric acid.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2013 - 12:46 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have done well with the parbaked pannini rolls...plain and rosemary. Love the store...am jealous of you! We have to drive 2 1/2 hours to Spokane.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2013 - 12:47 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How long a drive is it for you, Emily?...maybe I shouldn't be complaining. :-)
wax5151
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, August 24, 2013 - 9:05 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't believe the claims by Trader Joe's that their products do not contain MSG (or sulfites). After trying many of their house brands, I immediately felt the agony of a migraine headache coming on. As a recent article said - they do not disclose any of their sourcing - and do not offer transparency of ingredients to the public. If you are also suffering from migraine headaches after eating their products - PLEASE POST HERE - so others can be warned about the strong possibility that they are using a form of MSG in many of their items. I hope that a national TV program like "60 minutes" or "20/20" investigates all the claims made by Trader Joe's including their labeling practices, manufacturing techniques, and limited disclosure of ingredients. Are we supposed to simply trust this company when they use the terms "organic" "gluten-free" and "all natural?" I truly hope that I'm wrong about this company - but, my headaches after eating their various foods - tells me - I'm right. In my view, they should practice full disclosure like other legitimate food manufacturers. Hopefully, the FDA will crack-down on them and put an end to their secrecy and abuse of the public trust.
SistineKid
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, September 03, 2013 - 2:42 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wax, I too was getting migraines after eating Trader Joe's, specifically their turkey jerky, their snack products, and their pouch Indian food. The jerky has several "hidden sources" listed on the ingredients. I was in a store yesterday and much of what I examined was unsuitable.
Laurie243
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 4:07 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have learned, through trail and error, not to trust the Trader Joe's labels. A lot of foods they sell have ingredients that trigger migraines but don't list anything suspicious on the label (like the frozen grilled cauliflower, which has a great smoky flavor, doesn't list smoke flavoring, and gives me migraines). I don't understand how it is possible, but I have gotten migraines from their fresh chicken tenders. I don't know why, is it something in the feed for the chicken or is it something they add in? My migraines are mostly triggered by "natural flavors" and I definitely got a migraine from their chicken last night.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 2:14 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Laurie, I know what you mean. I bought Trader Giotto's Alfredo Pasta Sauce and returned it when I saw that it had "natural cheddar flavor" on the label. A quick check on the web showed that ingredient as having forms of free glutamate in it. A Trader Joe's employee just told me this week that they don't use such additives, so I informed him of this.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page