Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Half & Half - not always safe!

Battling the MSG Myth » Brand Names of Food Products You Have Found Safe » Half & Half - not always safe! « Previous Next »

LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2012 - 8:51 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know what forum to put this in, a food that I thought was safe, and isn't.

Almost all whipping cream is problematic due to carrageenan, but I always thought half & half was safe.

But it's NOT safe in those little creamer single-serve cups. I've checked both the major brands I see around here and both have carrageenan. Argh. Unfortunately I used 4 of them before I realized, the other day.

But the good news, when I ate zero FGA, I was able to drink red wine (2-3 glasses in an evening) on a girls weekend away!
jjross
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2012 - 3:30 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also the problem with whipping cream, half and half, and cream as well is that it is all ultra pasturized. Very hard to find any that isn't.
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 27, 2012 - 4:27 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, true, though our family hasn't gotten to the point of reacting to UP foods. (that I know of).

We are very lucky that we have milk delivery service here that has everything regular pasteurized, and many non-homogenized(Morning Fresh in the No. Colorado area). We used to do raw dairy but it got expensive and difficult so we switched. There is also one brand in the health food store that is not UP, but it always spoiled on me before I could finish it (the reason for UP in the first place, according to my grocer).
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2012 - 10:24 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cream itself is not high in naturally occurring glutamate, since it is primarily fat, so pasteurizing it should be okay for most of us. But half and half is full of additives to thicken the product and ultra pasteurizing the milk half can create free glutamate.
evelyn
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2012 - 9:59 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb would those additives have to be listed? I have a local stored brand that is not ultrapasteurized and lists ingredients as only milk and cream. Even though I don't believe it bothers me, I don't want to be putting a bunch of unknown/unnamed additives in me either!
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2012 - 10:16 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By law, other additives would have to be labeled. There are a few additives like sulfites that can go unlabeled if the amount is under a certain parts per million. This is one of those times when we have to decide to be guinea pigs or not...sometimes it's worth it.
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2012 - 5:02 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We've never had a problem with half-and-half other than in the little containers. But ALL of the store creams (heavy cream, whipping cream, whipped cream) have stuff added here, except a local brand. Carageenan and gums are the ones to watch for in dairy.

Maybe it varies by region of the country, since Deb has seen issues in half-and-half? Maybe some regions expect half-and-half to be thick.

I did ask the grocer why he doesn't carry the regularly pasteurized cream. He said it spoils before people buy it and they have to throw it away. But apparently, ultra pasteurization thins the cream, so hence the additives to make it seem like real cream.

Of course, whether you react to the ultra pasteurization of the half-and-half is another story...luckily we don't, though I'm starting to reduce my use of it anyway just to reduce overall FGA load, since I have this nice delivery service.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2012 - 9:31 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are days I just wish I had a cow in the back yard! :-)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page