Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Valley fresh chicken - new recipe - s...

Battling the MSG Myth » Brand Names of Food Products You Have Found Safe » Valley fresh chicken - new recipe - safe?????? « Previous Next »

sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2012 - 2:06 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was at Safeway today and looked at Valley Fresh Chicken - 2 different size cans of chicken breast (5 oz and 12.5 oz) - both had broth in the ingredients - no longer just salt water and chicken - needless to say I didn't buy it.

The valley fresh web site does not reflect a change in recipe.
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2012 - 11:04 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have noticed that other manufacturers' do not keep the ingredient's list updated on their websites either. And when I call them they say the label is correct not the website. We have to read labels continuously, don't we?
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2012 - 11:55 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ive just been to buy fishfingers for my kids. One of the few ready made things i buy. New Improved Recipe....aaaaargh...the five ingredients are now ten. I can now no longer buy fishfingers!!! Grrrr!
Ive just made my own for the first time in a long time. Its so frustrating when they change the recipes of the few safe items we can buy and eat!!
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2012 - 10:08 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree, very frustrating! It takes us so long to find a product that we can tolerate, then they go and change it - and usually not for the good.
sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2012 - 7:05 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was at IGA today - they have some small cans of the "safe" chicken - guess I will pick up a few next trip there (Friday probably) assuming they still have it. I have a couple $1 off 2 coupons I think and want to use them. I am sure I will get flack from the better half about this purchase as this is for emergency supplies and he says it will just get old.

hmmm
he doesn't get all of it.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 - 12:00 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sara, does he eat an msg free diet the same as you? My husband didnt get it. I got so tired of cooking for me and the little one that is very sensitive and then cooking another meal for the older two and my husband. The other kids kept on giving the younger one food she shouldnt have and she would suffer for it. Eventually i started cooking the same for everyone. I told my husband that he knew were the kitchen and supermarket were and if he wanted to carry on eating processed food, then to go right ahead. Well he is none to fond of the kitchen or the supermarket haha!!Within just a couple of weeks his whole outlook changed. He felt more energetic, and just "well". He is now on board. My older childred also saw vast improvements in their well being.
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 - 4:14 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ali, Now that's a great success story...of average people who didn't know they could feel better. To say that your older children saw "Vast" improvements is wonderful. Were they amazed?
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2012 - 5:20 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Di, my story began with my eldest son. He was a sleepless baby...woke every two hours from day one. I fed him till he was 8 months old and then suddenly his sleeping improved somewhat. He got to 1 and we started feeding him "proper" (i use the word proper losely!!) food and he just changed beyond recognition. Up until that week he had been a calm adorable little fella. It was obvious it was the change in his diet. We put him right back on his home made pureed organic veggies and fruit and normality was restored. EEK! This was in 1997. No internet for us then.SO then commenced the label reading. I introduced things one at a time after reading the labels. I quickly came up with a list of things that "set him off!" He would be aggressive, lose common sense ie couldnt make sense of toys he formerly played with, he would scream and scream, bite and not sleep. People thought i was mad as ahatter when i stopped feeding him any processed foods or sweets except a couple he didnt react to. Move forward to 2008 when my youngest daughter was born. She was also a sleepless baby that seemed anxious all the time. I was feeding her myself. I came across the list i had for my eldest in his babybooks. I elimnated all those things from my diet when she was 6 months old (took a while for the penny to drop!!) and suddenly she began improving. We still had problems wiht her right up to her being 18months old. I think it was about this time that i found this site. MSG was on my list. Imagine my surprise at seeing the list of hidden sources for MSG. It completely matched my list of things that set off my eldest as a baby and Isla too. WOW. Now that was a lightbulb moment!!
The amazing thing is that not only did it help my children but i was finally rid of my IBS, my joint pains and my sporadic incidents of disturbed tunnel vision. MY chubby toddler (the middle child) lost so much weight on bringing her in line with the diet, her behaviour improved so much. Because it wasnt as obvious with her, we thought she just had a "Stroppy" nature. She became the most adorable loving child within weeks. I can now tell the difference between a normal childhood behaviour and "poisoned" behaviour in a heartbeat. Its just different. If i cant reason with them, and they become stubborn and uncommunicative and wake up at the crack of dawn with too much energy its usually time to do some checking on their food intake the last few days. I always find the culprit!!
As for my husband. He had gained a lot of weight on moving to Ireland. We were eating lots of foods we had missed while living overseas. Bacon, sausages, pies....eek. He had been quite down too and lethargic. Since changing his diet he is active, happy and gets no headaches at all, unless of course he gives in to the tempation of KFC!!(he doesnt do that anymore haha)
So yes, it has been amazing to see how each family member has benefited and we continue to improve our diet. My house is so much calmer now. My kids go to bed and sleep 12 hours straight through. My eldest who appeared to grow out of it is now back on an MSG free diet (well all processed foods and the myriad of chemicals and additives they would contain) He has made such progress at school, he is now being considered for an academic program at the University in Dublin for gifted children and is just the most settled of teenagers. His skin has cleared, he is excelling at Karate etc etc.
Making these changes is the best thing i have ever done for my family. And many friends have now begun to make small changes after seeing how dramatic our family life has improved in so many areas.
Just one more thing. Aspartame. For any parent reading this, my kids react worse to this than any other food additive, excitotoxin, chemical in food. It brings severe agression within 30 minutes of eating/drinking. This stuff is poison!!
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2012 - 9:51 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ali, that is a wonderful story, thanks so much for sharing it. As a mother I can appreciate how you must have felt during the "stroppy" times with all 3 of them. That is outstanding about your son being considered for the program at the university for the gifted. And I'm sure your other 2 are way ahead of where they might have been if you hadn't been such an astute mother. Do your children notice a difference in their behavior when they eat poison or do you have to point it out?
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2012 - 10:25 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Di. My eldest would, like me, suffer from a stiff neck and headache radiating from his neck the day after. My husband also gets headaches after eating msg. But his headaches are more the top of his head and sinus pressure.
My middle child came home from a party just a few weeks ago and said she had only eaten cheese and bread. I asked her why and she said she hated when she comes home and shouts at everyone and cant sleep and gets into trouble. She is just five. She knows when her behaviour is out of her control if that makes sense. She is now very astute when she is eating out of the home. I generally make sure she is well fed before she heads out so its easier for her not to be tempted. Initially she wouldnt have known why she behaved as she did. But now because it only happens on very rare occasions she can tell she has been poisoned

Its going to be hard with my youngest as she is extremely sensitive. She will headbutt walls,bite, lose eye contact and be so confused. I cant take the chance of her making a wrong choice. She will be attending parties with her own foods. One thing i do with my middle child is always send her her own pack of drinks. Enough to go round if anyone else wants one, as aspartame is a real trigger for her. Have you ever tried finding cordial or soda that doesn't contain it?? Its impossible. Fruit juice, water, milk and tea are all my children drink.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2012 - 11:09 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ali, have you ever seen the soda water makers there? They are getting very popular in the states. We just add our own juice to it. I love pureeing some fresh peeled or dry ginger with some water and stevia or other sweetener, then diluting it with the soda water we make. A little pure vanilla extract is great added to the ginger ale, too. It's great adding a little fresh squeezed orange or other citrus to the soda water for variety. The grandkids love to mix chocolate syrup (in book), the carbonated water, and milk with ice.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2012 - 11:30 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Deb.Ive been looking at those. A friend has one but when i tried the kids with it they didnt like the bubbles! I guess they dont miss what they havent had. But as they get older and more experimental i may get one and try again. Thanks for the tips. Im quite tempted to get one for me. The ginger ale and vanilla sounds like something i would like a lot! :-)
Here in Ireland we have a new brand of drinks available in health shops called Healthy Thirst. They are made with just carbonated water and flower infusions and fruit. I love them and have no reation at all. But again the kids dont like the bubbles!
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 - 7:45 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's just as well. Soda drinks are linked to so many health problems here. Kids drink so much of it. The Healthy Thirst drinks sound delicious. I have a bottle of organic rose water...hmmm...got me thinking.
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 - 8:40 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go for it Deb. My favourite flavour of the healthy thirst drinks in cranberry and hibiscus. mmmmmm :-)
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 29, 2012 - 2:15 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm..cranberry rose bubbly...my grandkids call my carbonated water bubbly.
LisaS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2012 - 6:04 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do any of you make water kefir? It's easier than kombucha (though I've never made kombucha), and has a nice soda-like quality. My son doesn't like it. I make it and add it to water with a little fruit juice to flavor it since I hate water.

Unfortunately it requires finding someone in your area with "grains" but once you find them you can use them again and again, and give away extras to friends as they grow.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page