Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Soy Sauce Alternative?

Battling the MSG Myth » Brand Names of Food Products You Have Found Safe » Soy Sauce Alternative? « Previous Next »

AdaLovelace
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2011 - 10:17 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone know of a soy sauce alternative that I can use for sushi and stir fry style Asian food? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

<3
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2011 - 5:38 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ada,
I wish I could help you but I've never found one and always have Asian restaurants cook my food in their steamers rather than stir fry it.

http://anglnwu.hubpages.com/hub/Steaming-Food-with-a-Bamboo-Steamer

As for sushi, the seaweed (nori) used is high in free glutamate.
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, September 19, 2011 - 7:55 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If your diet isn't sulfite free, this alternative is really good. We use it a couple times a month.

Soy Sauce Substitute
1/4 cup water or beef broth
1 TBSP red wine vinegar
1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
2 tsp. molasses
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
1/8 tsp. ground ginger
black pepper to taste

In a saucepan over medium heat, stir together the water or beef broth, red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, molasses and seasonings. Boil gently until liquid is slightly reduced.
sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 7:36 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Emily

I need to try that - have everything on hand to make it. Maybe next week.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 3:09 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you are sulfite sensitive, you can use organic apple cider vinegar for the balsamic and red wine vinegars....not as tasty, probably, but worth trying. I use unsulfured molasses, some Chinese Five Spice, and a couple teaspoons of organic ketchup...and just use a little water to thin it down. I little cayenne and salt is good, too.
AdaLovelace
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 11:42 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks guys! I have reduced sulfites, but I don't mind having a bit in organic vinegars... my body doesn't seem to mind that from time to time.

Is seaweed naturally high in free glutamate in the same way that tomatoes and mushrooms are? Or has it been processed to free the glutamate?
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2011 - 12:59 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ada,

"Tangle extract (seaweed extract) - found in sushi rolls (even at Whole Foods) contains the free amino acid glutamate - in amounts large enough to cause reactions in those sensitive to it.: Seaweed is what MSG was first isolated from."

source:

http://www.msgtruth.org/avoid.htm
Phyl
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2011 - 6:25 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roy, I have been on a macrobiotic diet to help with a seizure type disorder I have developed. My counselor suggested that I consume lots of kombu and nori. I mentioned the msg component and he said that it is a misunderstanding. I tried eating these products, and my condition got considerably worse. I was told to take B6, but after taking that supplement, I had a reaction. I then realized that the B6 I purchased had several binders and fillers, so I ordered the powdered form from Beyond a Century with the hope that this will help. My counselor also suggested that I consume lots of fermented products. I am not sure if they contain msg. Currently, I am not sure what is safe to consume. My anti-seizure med is Keppra (not a glutamate blocker) and klonepin. Any suggestions on your part would be helpful. Many thanks. Phyl
Phyl
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2011 - 6:29 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I also forgot that he suggested that soy sauce was safe, and despite what I knew about it, I started consuming soy sauce, because I thought perhaps he knew better as he is a long time macrobiotic counselor. I also noticed that each time I eat in the health food restaurant in my neighborhood I have worse reactions than I get when I eat at a traditional diner. I do have Deb's book. I can't even eat lots of the food in the recipe section, since I am so sensitive.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2011 - 10:20 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Phyl,

My suggestion would be to drop that counselor and listen to your body instead of someone so dogmatic. I'd keep a food diary and record your reactions. You may find that a strict macrobiotic diet is not for you and discover other foods that make you feel better. No one diet plan suits everybody.

Vitamin B6 is said to curtail some of the psychiatric side effects of Keppra.

Klonopin is said to affect glutamate decarboxylase activity.
Phyl
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 7:26 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you, Roy, for your advice. I am not savy when it comes to medical terms. What exactly do you mean by Klonopin affecting glutamate decarboxylase activity? I believe that Klonopin does not increase GABA but has a positive affect on the way the body metabolizes it. This is not my expertice and I am not sure that I truly understand. Roy, you are very knowledgeable in this area. Are you a chemist? Also, I did take a very small amount of B6 and got some muscle spasm in my leg. I will try it again tomorrow, as I don't know if it was a coincidence, or perhaps a detox, or a reaction. I used B6 powder from Beyond a Century and assume it is safe. Also, are you familiar with Betaine? The counselor told me to use it as I have low stomach acid. Is there an alternative to Betaine for low stomach acid?
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 9:04 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Phyl,

I am a retired accountant. Chemistry is not my area of expertise at all. I just look things up when I want to know something specific.

Per the link below, an increase in glutamic acid decarboxylase activity does increase neuronal GABA levels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutamate_decarboxylase

A link regarding Betaine (see "treatment" heading):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achlorhydria
Phyl
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 10:39 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I dont know if anyone here has any suggestions for me. Roy, ....perhaps you missed your profession! Actually, I look things up, but I don't always understand the technical language.

I am going around in circles. I stopped all of the supplements and betaine that the macrobiotic counselor gave me for two days, along with all of the sea vegetables, and took a bit of B6. Today my blood pressure is very low and I am very weak. My blood pressure usually tends to fluctuate but today it is lower than usual. My doctors don't really understand what causes my problems, only that I have autoimmune antibodies to intrinsic factor (not enough gastric acid) and this propriospinal myoclonus and orthostatic tremors. I take monthly B12 injections. Have had several tests, spinal tap, mri, mra of brain and spine and catscan of abdomen, and it is all considered idiopathic. So I am kind of left to deal with this on my own. I had always been sensitive to msg and have been an a strict whole food diet. (with the added fermented foods and sea vegetables, which might have pushed me over the edge) This has been going on for one year and I have seen two neurologists (one from Mt. Sinai) and no one can figure it out. I am thinking about acupuncture next. This has kept me from living a normal life. I just took one of the supplements and the betaine. Perhaps I do need them. I don't know how to deal with this anymore. I don't want any more tests and had a bad reaction of tremors to the contrast when I had my catscan. Any advice would be appreciated.
sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 2:19 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

what meds are you taking phyl?

what meds have you changed over this past year or so? (stopped, started, changed doses)
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 2:31 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Phyl,

My brother is the doctor in the family and I think he's more suited to that than me.

I'm not sure I would have stopped everything cold turkey, just the supplements with risky ingredients, and there may be safer versions of those. The other things you take may all be doing you some good. I don't think I'd have gone off betaine as there may not be better options. To isolate what may be causing problems it's best to address them one at a time.

Per Wikipedia, gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) helps the brain maintain muscle control. That is probably why your Klonopin was prescribed.

Autoimmune problems may be helped by anti-inflammatories. The spices turmeric and its relative ginger are in this category. I'd try lunch in an Indian restaurant and see if you experience relief. You may be pleasantly surprised.
Phyl
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 5:00 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks you for responding. This problem actually got to this point of my being practically incapacitated after taking several antibiotics. I had a dental infection and was given two rounds of Amoxycillin, then after bronchitis, I was given Doxycycline, after that Levequin. After the Levequin, I began to get tremors, muscle spasms, pain in all of the nerves in my teeth, burning in my head and spine, etc. My blood pressure began spiking and then I was hospitalized and given all of the tests I had and given the diagnosis. This was one year ago. I had already been on Klonopin .25 mg 3 x daily, Coreg, and Avapro. While in the hospital I was given Carvedilol in tablet form, instead of the yellow time release capsule. I noticed that it helped not to take the capsule. A few months ago, we lowered the Avapro. Whilein the hospital I was given the Keppra, which was steadily increased to 1,000 mg 2 x daily. Then I saw the macrobiotic counselor and started his diet. It did help a great deal, as before I started the diet I had seizure type reactions when eating something with yellow dye 6 twice,and keeping away from the dyes made a large difference. We lately lowered the Keppra to 750 2 x daily because I was having depression and anxiety as side effects, and the lower dose helped a bit. Then came the sea vegetables,and things got much worse, so my neurologist suggested I stop them and take B6. That was about a week ago. So.....here I am today. I guess I will continue the Betaine. His vitamins didn't seem to be a problem, so I will take less of them and see what happens. They are made by Innate Response Formulas, but I don't know why the B6 powder from Beyond a Century gave me more trouble today. This year has been a nightmare. Even when the tremors are under control, I get a constant inner shaking,and sometimes a burning in my head, fluctuating blood pressure, and weakness in my legs. It is so hard to know if medications are causing side effects, or if I am reacting to chemicals in my environment.

Roy, I think the medical knowledge and interest is in your blood. Thank you and Sara for taking an interest.
sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 7:29 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am concerned about the Klonpin. I don't know a lot about Keppra but have heard of it.

Was there a change in manufacturers of the generics or do you recall?

I have found this site where you can look up ingredients in many meds - look for descriptions sometimes they are at the start - sometimes you have to find them later on (section 11 usually)

http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?id=12277

Levequin (fluroquinolone family) and benzos can be a problem I understand especially during withdrawal but if you were switching doses or even manufacturers you could have found yourself in withdrawal or you could have been in tolerance and probably still are even though Klonpin has a fairly long half life - you body wants more - you aren't probably undergoing interdose withdrawal but just your long standing dose isn't enough.

Tremors and BP spikes are part of withdrawal and just because you are taking the Klonpin doesn't mean you aren't in tolerance which is a close cousin of withdrawal. (google benzo tolerance)

I am wondering if that is part of the problem (and don't expect doctors to recognize it when you are still taking the meds - they don't).

Read the Ashton Manual especially chapter 3 and see what fits.

http://benzo.org.uk/manual/index.htm

or http://lonelylinks.com/ashton.htm

Are there any fillers in the B-6? How much did you take? I am very sensitive to it. As you might figure from my post I am in "benzo withdrawal" myself - having been off ambien for almost 15 months now and still having problems. I have fewer BP spikes and tremors than a year ago but they aren't gone by any means.
sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 7:33 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

muscle spasms,

pain in all of the nerves in my teeth,

burning in my head and spine,

all benzo withdrawal symptoms -

I have burning mouth - I used to get pains in my teeth until I saw a woman who does trigger point therapy - I triggered it again 2 days ago with a dose of Betaine HCl

I have to ask this as this is my latest "thing" - is your diet full of nuts, spinach, potatoes, beets, grains? These are high oxalate foods (there are others too) and each will set off an increase in my pain levels. Look at

http://lowoxalate.info/
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 - 3:08 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Phyl,

I, too, become very ill very fast from fluoroquinolones and will never take them again. Other antibiotics never bother me. I suspect part of the problem may be the fluoride component and use fluoride-free toothpaste (Weleda brand). The potential dangers of quinolones have been known for a long time per the link below, but I was not told.

Per http://www.medicationsense.com/articles/may_aug_05/warning_antibiotics_052205.html

"[The drug] should be discontinued if the patient experiences symptoms of neuropathy including pain, burning, tingling, numbness, and/or weakness or other alterations of sensation including light touch, pain, temperature, position sense, and vibratory sensation in order to prevent the development of an irreversible condition."

"The Levaquin write-up (page 2503) lists tremors, restlessness, anxiety, lightheadedness, confusion, hallucinations, paranoia, depression, nightmares, insomnia, may increase risk for people predisposed to seizures, and rarely, suicidal thoughts or acts."

I had dire reactions from red dye #3 (a seizure that put me in the hospital and unconsciousness that required CPR) until its partial ban in the US. Sunset Yellow #6 is banned in Norway and Finland. The avoidance of such additives is a big advantage of the Macrobiotic and other natural diets.
Phyl
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 - 6:16 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sara, Roy Thanks so much for your advice. I wouldn't want to take a chance reducing the Klonopin, as this is the first medication given for the condition Propriospinal Myoclonus, and the Klonopin was actually increased a bit lately to .25 4 x daily. I have made an attempt to keep all of my medications white. The only one with color is the Klonopin, which only comes in yellow and pink. I take the pink one which has some sort of red dye. Unfortunately, we cannot control the dyes and fillers put into the medications which we need. There is no choice!! I would love to be able to stop everything, but for now, we have decreased everything except the Klonopin. Roy, I had always had sensitivities, but after taking the Levequin, I have never been the same. I had taken it for 10 days over a year ago. I hope that I don't have permanent damage, and that it will eventually resolve. Thank you for the link with regard to the Levequin. It certainly sounds like it had a major role in my condition. I will now also become more aware of flouride. I try not to drink anything but bottled water and avoid flouride toothpaste. Interestingly, when my symptoms began I had been having lots of dental work with lots of flouride in my mouth. What do you recommend as the best source of water? That is all I drink and it is usually Poland Spring bottled. I will discontinue the filtered water from the refrigerator, as it probably still has flouride. Sara, since on this macro diet,I have alleviated spinach, potatoes, and beets. I was eating a great deal of them before getting ill. I did notice lately that I do not do well on quinoa and almonds, so that is also something to watch. As far as the Betaine, I don't know what to do about that, since I need it to help replace the stomach acid that I lack. My doctors tell me that although I eat healthy food, my body cann't digest it and that is the reason for the B12 injections. The macro counselor tested me and does acupressure and said that my stomach energy is very weak. He has studied chinese medicine for about 20 years and I trusted him until the sea vegetable incident. Also, he recommends a great deal of fermented food such as saurkraut, and now I don't know if that could cause me problems because of the glutamate. He did prescribe a probiotic from Body Biotics.
While at the Neurologist office a couple of weeks ago, my husband asked him if there was a support group for me. He said that my conditions are so rare, that I would be in a lonely support group of one. I truly appreciate all of the support that you have given me here. I don't feel quite as alone with this problem, which had been written off as a "nervous condition" during my first emergency room visit.
sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 - 9:11 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

couple quick things -

for dye free meds one place is a compounded pharmacy - check this out - you want one that mixes the active ingredients with fillers of YOUR choice not one that just grinds the pills and repackages them - you can also look up all the manufacturers of a med on that dailymed site I posted last night and find one with the fewest bad fillers and ask your pharmacy to order it for you (and see if they will bite and if not find another pharmacy that will)

which came first the Klonpin or the twitches?

if you were to reduce the Klonpin you would need to do it gradually over many weeks / months and there will be symptoms that will flare and will persist for a while after even being off it - it won't be a pleasant journey but it will be one where an end is in sight where the journey you are on now is to keep increasing meds more and more and with that will mean more and more side effects which the doctors will script more and more meds for

It would help me if you broke up your posts into smaller sections - my eyes are old and it is hard to read more than a few lines and keep focused on them.

What about black tea? I love it but it is also fairly high in oxalate.

As long as you take Klonpin (and even for a while afterwards) you will have glutamate problems - JMO as it acts on GABA-alpha receptor. I am finally getting some relief on glutamate issues with B6 but I have had to go up slowly on it and still don't have an optimal dose.

I need to look up keppra - still haven't researched it to see how is acts only looked to show you how to find the inactive ingredients in it - I was on gabapentin for years - finally almost off - took a total of 600 mg in August (that is 6 of the smallest capsules for the whole month) and so far 200 mg in September. I have been able to replace it with an amino acid and the low oxalate diet.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2011 - 3:44 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Phyl,

Bottled waters are not always better, they just cost a lot more than tap water. See:

http://www.nrdc.org/water/drinking/bw/appa.asp

A summary of fluoride findings from the "other" column of the above linked schedule is on the page linked here:

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=521352
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2011 - 6:26 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've found the best, cheapest bottled, filtered water at Walmart, Meijer and several other grocery stores. It is reverse osmosis filtered water available in gallon jugs (theirs or refill your own) about $.29 for a refill. I have read the RO process is the only one that removes fluoride.
Phyl
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2011 - 5:48 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Been having trouble posting lately. Sara, I don't think I am ready to reduce Klonopin. I think I need to feel a bit stronger before I start having to deal with withdrawals.

Will try to find out about a compounding pharmacy for the Klonopin so I can avoid the colors. I dont' know how I would determine which fillers I need to avoid

Roy, I can't believe the horrible reaction you had from the dyes. I don't know what is wrong in this country. We take medication to help a condition, then have to be poisoned in the process. When I was in the hospital, I couldn't even eat the food there. There was nothing real. Even the eggs were artificial, and of course, they push gelatin and broth. How can one recuperate under such conditions?

I am convinced that the Levequin caused me to get so sick. I started getting symptons when I began taking it, but the doctors think that I over react, so I continued. The symptoms got progressively worse after it was discontinued, and then I was told that I was no longer on the medication, so how can I be reacting, especially one year later. I do hope that this is not permanent, since it has improved since last year when I couldn't even walk at all.

I will now do my best to avoid the flouride in water, and Di, I will try to find the RO water from Walmart.

I still do not know if I should be avoiding saur kraut or sourdough bread, or any fermented products. Any advice with that? I tried doing without the Betaine, but needed it because the food would not go down without it. I have lost 40 lbs since starting this way of eating. I was overweight, but now I do not want to lose any more, so trying to figure out how to put some weight back on without triggering a problem.
Jerry Story
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2011 - 8:16 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

About distilled water.

I had a job at a place where they made 'distilled' bottled water. It was not distilled. They didn't take anything out of it. They just added ozone to it. The ozone killed the germs and after a few hours the ozone was gone. The water was not distilled. It still had the fluoride and chloramine and other junk in it. It was labeled 'distilled'. Don't trust labels.

I have a water distiller at home. Here it is.

http://www.polarbearhealth.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=MH943SBS

It works very well. I don't drink tap water.
sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2011 - 9:18 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That distiller lasted me about 2 years was all. I am now using this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Waterwise-4000-Water-Distiller-Purifier/dp/B000ICRX8M/ref=sr_1_6?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1317013890&sr=1-6

and the glass carafe broke the first gallon and the company never replied to my email. I am using an old carafe instead from my first distiller I bought back in 1990 or so.

I don't use charcoal filters by the way. They make me sick - most charcoal filtering does.

Phyl, I wasn't expecting you to immediately start withdrawing. I just wanted you to be aware of what you could possibly be going through. I went through some very unpleasant experiences myself going off meds and was lied to repeatedly by the doctors who put me on them.

As far as safe fillers - find out what is available and ask for sample capsules with just the filler to try and see if they will do that. I have only ever compounded one Rx and they used acidophilus and it was over 10 years ago.
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2011 - 4:40 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sara, I just read the reviews from the link you provided and one person made references to a charcoal filter...so I am confused. Does it have one or not?
Phyl
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2011 - 6:47 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does a distiller remove Flouride? Is it only the Reverse Osmosis that removes flouride? Can anyone recommend a portable RO, since I have my house on the market and don't want anything installed that I can't easily take with me.

Sara, I know that many doctors are not well informed about medications and what they can do. I just ordered the book "The 100 Year Lie". It tells all about what has been done to our health throughout the century by chemicals in our food, supplements, medications, and personal products, that our government is not controlling properly. Once I am more free of all of these toxins, I will lower some more medication doses a little bit at a time.

It is practically impossible to avoid thse chemicals, even at the best health food stores,and restaurants are impossible. I find it difficult to live and socialize within a society where everyone accepts everything as safe. Growing up, I always thought that the government was protecting us -- so far from the truth. Deb's book is great and I have learned so much from it, but I can't even eat most of the recipes because I am so sensitive.
sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2011 - 9:05 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Di

it comes with one - I opened the filter up and emptied out the contents, cleaned it and put the "empty" filter cup on the machine as you need a filter cup there to run it - the second filter (full) that came with the machine is hidden in the back of the "junk" drawer in the kitchen for the last year

the charcoal filtering for other distillers I have bought (this was #4 for me now) were easier to deal with - you just don't put the filter bag in the line
Di
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2011 - 9:08 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was just googling distilled water (& vs. other types of purified water) and came across a few references that drinking distilled water long-term wasn't healthy. One article is:

http://waterhealthstudies.blogspot.com/2007/12/distilled-water-vs-reverse-osmosis.html

Has anyone else heard that?
sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2011 - 9:08 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Phyl

meds are also part of the "toxins"

Sara
sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2011 - 9:24 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Di, yes I have heard it too - see it mentioned in some of the alternative health blogs / articles. It hasn't stopped me as I know the water in IL (when I started drinking distilled) was full of ag pesticides and figured that was what was killing me and needed to get away from it.

The RO machine water I could get at the grocery store upset my stomach from the charcoal filtering so except for one brand of water (artestian) I could find at drug store (Osco - not sure they are anymore) that came from Wisconsin (Buffalo Don's I believe it was) all I could drink was home distilled. Even when I was in the hospital for 5 days my husband brought me in water from Osco and the doctors looked funny at it but allowed it. There are other brands I can drink but that was the easiest to find.

Here I am not sure except for some carbonated ones; I can drink some of the regular bottled water but not more than a couple cups a day without major heartburn so I can pick up something to drink on the run if needed and traveling (even in US) finding a safe source of water was always high priority for me so my first trip out was to find nearest drug or grocery store when traveling and assess what was available in water first then fresh fruit.

I keep a back up of about 2 gallons distilled on hand for power outages and ran out 4 years ago during a 5 day outage (and I knew we were going to have an outage but didn't expect that long) so that last afternoon before the 130 mph gusts that came that night I distilled as much as I could easily store.

Our tap water here just underwent a major overhaul. I haven't tried to drink it. I have noticed the residue on the bottom of the distiller has changed with it - easier to clean but also a different odor. I guess next major power outage I will try it. I do use it in cooking but sometimes I even make rice with distilled water.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page