Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Potato Chips

Battling the MSG Myth » Brand Names of Food Products You Have Found Safe » Potato Chips « Previous Next »

cheryla
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2011 - 1:24 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why the heck do I react to it seems any potato chip when the ingredients read: potatoes, canola oil and salt? I have only tried the plain ones. Any thoughts?
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2011 - 3:28 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you reacted to Ruffles, too? Some have suggested that people can react to the pesticide sprayed on the plants in some areas. Since the potatoes are shipped to plants from all over the country, it would be hard to determine which potatoes used are safest. It could also be the salt used. Some could really be salt blends that contain maltodextrin to pump up the flavor.
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2011 - 8:09 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

cheryla... what about chips using a different oil, like sunflower?

my son, mother, an aunt and myself are all quite sensitive to Canola, which by the way is a totally unnatural breed of plant. it was developed in a laboratory through genetic manipulation, not through conventional hybridization.
in my family, we 3 ladies all suffer 'internal distress', while my adhd/tourettes son gets extremely spazzy and irrational for several hours- a druglike reaction. i also tend to get irritable, tho of course that could be a side effect of having my innards in knots

do you have access to Kettle chips PLAIN (no flavors)? so far they seem safe for my own family... as a treat in small amounts, not every day
sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2011 - 8:25 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bo'nana,

Are you referring to the Brown bag Sea Salt ones or another kind?
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, February 04, 2011 - 5:53 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hmmm... you know thats a good question? ive gotten so used to looking at the BACK of the label i think sometimes i forget to really notice the front.
i know the back label reads just potato, some non-canola oil (i think safflower or sunflower) & salt.

i will have to check next time im out shopping!
sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, February 04, 2011 - 8:41 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That sounds like the brown bag ones - there is also an unsalted version I guess in a lighter colored bag. It does say sea salt on the brown bag ones.

I might be reacting to them. They are greasier than Lays or Ruffles (both of those now have corn oil as an option I believe).

I have followed Kristy over to the avoiding corn forum http://forums.delphiforums.com/AvoidingCorn/messages and there are posts there where people are reacting to these (used to be a corn safe food) I think because of cross contamination with corn products.
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, February 04, 2011 - 5:24 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

bummer! honestly, it gets to the point where it just gets easier to avoid everything doesnt it? rice cakes sure make a BORING snack, but so far at least they still seem safe...

debA mentioned possible spray residue on the potatoes themselves... but if switching to organic makes no difference then i expect youre right to be watching the corn- sorry! as kristy & those at the corn forum know, its a real booger to have to avoid all the time :-(
sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, February 04, 2011 - 5:56 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the kettle chips I tried weren't organic

the corn stuff is pretty nasty - I take 3 Rx meds right now and am sure 2 of the 3 have corn in them and well probably the 3rd one too - I hope to be off one of them in the next month(crossing my fingers on that one) but the other two (BP meds) not sure - I was able to talk my PCP down to half doses of them being okay as I took her the data of how I was doing on half doses. I will still have to carry a rescue asthma inhaler (alcohol in the propellant instead of CFC's thanks to environmental issues - oh I was pissed at that and never liked the alcohol ones before and the propellant free version never did well in the market place and I had LOVED it) but I rarely have to use it - twice in the last year I think

I have wondered about making my own chips - just I don't want to get into the habit of deep fat frying - used to do that years ago.
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2011 - 3:32 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Citric acid is used in the manufacture of canola (and other) oils. Also, the problem could stem from mold on the potatoes themselves. I'm beginning to make a connection between yeast, mold and corn additives. Mold is used to make HFCS, flavor enhancers, citric acid, corn vinegar (all commercial vinegars except organic ACV with the mother), alcoholic beverages, fermented foods (commercially fermented anyway - which is probably why I don't have issues with my homemade ferments, but can't tolerate store bought ones), and cheese. Also, statin drugs and digestive enzymes are made from mold along with many other prescription meds and supplements.

Foods that are commonly contanimated with mold: nuts, root vegetables, grains....sugar and white flour feeds yeast (most people with mold issues have a yeast overgrowth) and mushrooms are a fungus (also feeds yeast). Bread yeast and nutritional yeast are also a problem for people with mold issues and we definitely have issues with yeast.

Anyway, potato chips can be a double whammy because of moldy potatoes and/or citric acid contaminated canola oil.
Debbey
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2011 - 9:27 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

have you tried Natural Lays thick cut sea salted

potatoes expeller-pressed sunflower oil sea salt

i have trouble with most non organic potatoes but can eat these chips
cheryla
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 10, 2011 - 9:26 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks - I had just given up on chips - can try again. Been sick with a sinus infection that is not clearing plus the flu. Had a bad reaction to one of the meds - suspecting tamiflu. Took a break from all meds and took benedryl and everything is ok again. I'm allergic to most antibiotics but can usually do the Z-pak.

Yes, Ruffles are one of the ones I reacted to and plain Lays. Never used to. I haven't decided if I want to see a naturopath or an allergist. Or is it I am just getting closer to age 50 now and everything is popping up.
sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 10, 2011 - 1:14 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

there are ppl on the corn avoidance forum who are suggesting UTZ regular potato chips - I haven't tried them myself

http://www.utzsnacks.com/
sara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, February 11, 2011 - 6:17 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://savorysweetlife.com/2010/03/potato-chips-recipe/

tried this tonight - used salad shooter to cut them - not bad for a first time
connie15
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 22, 2011 - 12:43 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Plan Lays potato chips are safe and recently We bought lays barbeque chips-- it says on package no MSG or preservatives. YEA no symptons for me
Happy Dance
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, June 22, 2011 - 7:19 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Connie, if these are the chips you had I would have had a major problem with them.

http://www.fritolay.com/assets/images/bigVault/lays-barbecue.jpg
bo'nana
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 24, 2011 - 8:10 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ooooo... regardless what the package advertising claims, all those flavoured snack foods are considered deadly to my family:

"natural flavours"- solvent based mystery chems that cause delayed A-fib type palpitations
Torula yeast or yeast extract- sooper high in free glutamate so they dont have to call it 'msg' + makes the inside of my mouth peel & raw
and usually half a dozen or more other Great Big No-No ingredients that make me ill & my Tourette's ASD boy go sparking off...

i would encourage you to go beyond the glitzy advertising claims, dig down into WHAT each & every ingredient really is, where it comes from, how its made... and avoid as many tinkered ingredients as possible. you may not notice a reaction immediately, especially if your body is still strong & you are at the beginning stages of chemical sensitivity. that does not indicate the stuff is doing you no harm- often reactions are cumulative, especially at first, before they reach the acute sensitivity stage that many of us have reached

i am glad if you are not acutely sensitive at this point! you need to do all you can to avoid pushing your body over the brink
ali
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 24, 2011 - 1:28 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have major issues with all the "msg free" flavoured chips, crisps, corn things....in fact it was a packet of "msg free"skips that brought MSG to my full attenrion as being THE thing that triggered my daughters insomnia and hyperactivity.....i started to research the ingredients as i was baffled as to why such a violent reaction to them, which in turn led me to this site and to learn all the names MSG is hidden under and what do you know...every single item on her "reaction list" was on that hidden name list.
Deb A.
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 9:31 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought some Terra Chips at our health food store last week..the ones that have about 5 different exotic plants like Taro root. I got stomach problems in a few hours and a headache the next day. They aren't organic, and they do have beet juice concentrate added to one of the chips. I noticed that Hain company now owns them, and have read negative things about some of the products that were once fine when owned by small private producers. Hain has bought up quite a few. I liked it better when we had small mom and pop stores at the corner of the block and you knew where foods came from, locally! Yep, I'm old enough to remember that..and that no one was fat back then...and we still ate tons of foods as kids!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page