Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Pasta brands

Battling the MSG Myth » Brand Names of Food Products You Have Found Safe » Pasta brands « Previous Next »

Bob
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 1:55 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Which pasta brands do you find safe to eat? I'm looking for alternatives to the brown rice I'm eating every day.

Also, how common or likely is it to develop sensitivities and allergies to foods that you eat everyday, such as brown rice, oatmeal, and spinach (assuming they're MSG-free)?

Thanks!
MikeS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 3:16 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Bob,

Yes: I've read that it's advisable to rotate food to avoid developing sensitivities.

However, another possibility is that a food such as spinach has been sprayed or gassed with something to which at large qty's, you are sensitive.

Another cause for developing multiple food allergies is something called "leaky gut". It basically means that your small intestine is more permeable that it should be, allowing larger molecules of partially digested foods to enter your body, causing a freak-out "foreign-invader" response.

Mike
EmilyS
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 11:49 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Bob, I really like the brand Barilla for packaged pasta. I have eaten it for years and have never had a reaction. I buy the plain pasta in various shapes (in the blue box) and the whole wheat pasta but not the plus or mega enriched varieties.

Some foods are more likely to cause an allergy to develop over others. It also depends on how likely your body is to develop allergies. I think it is safe to say any dietitian and allergist would recommend a diet that has a good variety and if one is prone to developing allergies it is important to vary foods from day to day.

I hope this helps. Thanks, Emily
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 7:12 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bob I use organic 100% semolina pasta. I get mine at Whole Foods or Trader Joe's, although I am noticing more of them in local markets these days. For me the essential word is organic so that I know they are not sprayed. I like the pasta best from Trader Joe's because it is in a cellophane package instead of a box. I remember Deb A telling us that Quaker sprays the inside of their cylinder of oats with a fungicide. I think they are trying to avoid pantry moths. I don't use their products obviously. good luck Mariann
kristy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 7:23 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bob,

I have been very happy with Naturally Preferred organic pasta (Kroger brand) and also Da Vinci organic. I look for pasta made with unenriched durum wheat but we don't eat it very often. We try not to lean so heavily on grains around here, so we eat a lot of vegetable dishes. If you already have food allergies, I believe food rotation is recommended.
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 5:40 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bob the Da Vinci organic pasta that Kristy mentioned is the one that I use from Trader Joe's. Good Luck. When you have two people from this site that have different sensitivities using a common brand it is worth a try. Good luck -- Mariann
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 5:44 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

PS Bob I use Cento All Purpose crushed tomatoes with no problem. I use it to make tomatoe soup, in my lentil soup, for pasta, barbeque sauce and pizza. Do not use the crushed Chef's Ready that has citric acid. The All Purpose just says red ripe tomatoes. Good luck. Mariann
Judith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 9:31 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use Primo dry pasta which I believe is available in some places in the USA (and everywhere in Canada).
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 3:00 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Primo's website:

http://www.primofoods.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi?cat=17
jarnapal
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 10:29 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Isnīt wheat high in free glutamate? It does not give reaction right away but more like in slow release. And you guys are eating pasta...
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 04, 2010 - 2:53 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No.
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 04, 2010 - 2:57 am:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

jarnapal,

Please see:

http://www.msgtruth.org/eatwhat.htm
Roy Piwovar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 04, 2010 - 3:18 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also please see the "what to avoid" list:

http://www.msgtruth.org/avoid.htm
Mariann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 04, 2010 - 4:36 pm:   Delete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I do use pasta without a problem, but only once a week or less. I have no problem with organic 100% unenriched durum semolina. It is imported from Italy. Mariann

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Post as "Anonymous"
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page